Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Sailor Moon Dub Cast Revealed at Anime Expo


Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
rpgmaster1



Joined: 25 Feb 2006
Posts: 23
Location: Lawrecneville, Georgia

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:34 pm Reply with quote
Who thinks that the new English dub of Sailor Moon will be aired by Toonami? I'm not sure that is possible due to their small budget, but given how popular it was it should be.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NeoStrayCat



Joined: 14 Sep 2011
Posts: 176

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:58 pm Reply with quote
@Luni_Tunz
I know that isn't gonna stop them from doing that, but rather sneaky and cautious for doing it anyways.

@rpgmaster1
It can be a possibility anyways, since DBZ is coming back sometime soon, but as DBZ Kai.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ParkerALx



Joined: 09 Apr 2014
Posts: 110

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:18 pm Reply with quote
Shingo's new voice is a huge disappointment. I hate it when adult men voice young boys. It always sounds unnatural. Otherwise, I'm sure the rest of the cast will do fine.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kadmos1
SubscriberSubscriber


Joined: 08 May 2014
Posts: 4084

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:00 pm Reply with quote
ParkerALx wrote:
Shingo's new voice is a huge disappointment. I hate it when adult men voice young boys. It always sounds unnatural. Otherwise, I'm sure the rest of the cast will do fine.


I think you might be exaggerating that it always sounds unnatural (it also depends on what age you define as young for boys). While I don't know of specific cases, I'd imagine that there are some that can make it sound natural.

This could be applied to even the Japanese version of some anime titles. For instance, when Linebarrel came out in Oct. '08, a 25-year-old Tetsuya Kakihara played the 14-year-old protagonist Kouichi with his Natsu voice which may/may not sound forced for that age.

Your statement can also be applied to women voicing males 13+. With few exception, my rule of when women do such voices applies only to when the guy gets turned into a girl, is very effeminate/trap, or often cross-dresses.

This applies to both Eng. and Japanese. What I've seen of the Japanese version of Mirai Nikki, Yukii was especially guilty of this. It's seem really out of place to me when it's a harem/fan service heavy show.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SynergyMan



Joined: 16 Jun 2014
Posts: 99

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:37 pm Reply with quote
ParkerALx wrote:
Shingo's new voice is a huge disappointment. I hate it when adult men voice young boys. It always sounds unnatural. Otherwise, I'm sure the rest of the cast will do fine.


It's not about being natural, but believable. That is the key to voice acting. Oh and that applies to women as well. Some women VAs(both languages) sound like women trying to be a boy, but failing. Ai Orikasa is awful as Quatre, relative to most dubs of Gundam Wing, including the English dub VA Brad Swaile, who sounds male. Ai is an amazing VA in Victory Gundam and Tenchi, but she failed in Gundam Wing. Female VAs aren't that good for mid-late teen boys.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Just-another-face



Joined: 08 Feb 2014
Posts: 170

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:24 pm Reply with quote
ParkerALx wrote:
Shingo's new voice is a huge disappointment. I hate it when adult men voice young boys. It always sounds unnatural. Otherwise, I'm sure the rest of the cast will do fine.


First people complain about girls voicing boys in English dubs making the boys sound too girly, now they complain that a man voicing a boy is unnatural? Come on. Besides, don't you think girls voicing boys in Japanese voice acting make the boys sound too girly themselves?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kadmos1
SubscriberSubscriber


Joined: 08 May 2014
Posts: 4084

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:55 pm Reply with quote
Just-another-face wrote:
Besides, don't you think girls voicing boys in Japanese voice acting make the boys sound too girly themselves?

This is a reason why I watched most subbed muted (namely, adult Goku) and why I usu. don't like women voicing males 13+.

Applying the dub disdain that penguintruth has for various titles towards various subbed versions, that's how I usu. feel about women doing 13+ males.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Snomaster1
SubscriberSubscriber


Joined: 31 Aug 2011
Posts: 1234

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:07 pm Reply with quote
WOW!!! Stephanie Sheh is going from voicing Orihime Inoue and Hinata Hyuga to voicing one of the icons of anime. The poor gal must be stressed out,taking a role like this.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Tempest
ANN Publisher & CEO


Joined: 29 Dec 2001
Posts: 8748
Location: Do not message me for support.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:31 pm Reply with quote
tygerchickchibi wrote:

That's so weird...


AX went and invited the original cast for a cool reunion. This was before Viz announced that they had licensed SM, so AX had no idea that Viz would be announcing a new cast. The timing made AX the perfect place to announce it.

I do suspect that some of the original cast was probably slightly bummed, but I spoke to some of them and they were cool with it. Obviously shows get remade regularly, and the previous casts rarely reprise their roles in remakes.

-t
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail My Anime My Manga
Tempest
ANN Publisher & CEO


Joined: 29 Dec 2001
Posts: 8748
Location: Do not message me for support.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:45 pm Reply with quote
LUNI_TUNZ wrote:
It's not really illegal. I mean, it's about as illegal as that video I uploaded from that episode of Monday Night Raw I went to, WWE still hasn't ran me through even though the tickets say "NO RECORDING DEVICES, DON'T YOU DARE RECORD VIDEO OF ANY OF THIS, GODDAMMIT!"


It most definitely is illegal. Recording and then posting video projection is pretty black and white. FWIW, recording a live performance and then posting it is also copyright infringement (live performances are covered by copyright too!)


Quote:
Worse case scenario they just file a copyright complaint and have the video taken down.

That's the worst, likely case. Worst case scenario they find out who recorded the video and sue them. A quick bit of research will show that while lawsuits for torrenting are pretty flimsy, lawsuits for against the person who originally makes the material available (in this case, the person who would record and upload the video) are serious shit.

It's not likely to happen, but if Viz decides to make an example of someone, that person would get more than a slap on the wrist as long as Viz could convincingly show that they were in fact the party responsible.

Personally though, it would be a lot of effort and cost just to punish an over-eager fan who wanted to share the new dub with people who couldn't make it to AX.

-t

Fun note: If someone posted just an excerpt from the video, and used it in conjunction with a "review" of the new dub, they would have an extremely strong "fair use" defense (Fair use is not safe harbor, it's a defense). Not sure how that would work in conjunction with the illegal acquisition of the material though (recording at a screening).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail My Anime My Manga
jr0904



Joined: 24 Dec 2005
Posts: 2540
Location: New York City,New York,USA

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:27 am Reply with quote
FireChick wrote:
Yes! I knew Sheh was gonna be Usagi!

Now before you all claim "this cast is horrible!", remember this: Naoko Takeuchi herself approved of the cast, so I'm sure Viz knows what they're doing. I'm kinda sad Colleen O Shaughnessy isn't Rei, but oh well. Cristina Vee is pretty good, so I'll keep my ears open.


i wouldnt be so sure. yea the cast is definitely top notch, but the characters themselves is another story. it was definitely a casting i didn't predicted. Also i was under the assumption colleen would have gotten Luna or usagi's mom.

For one thing usagi is an uber air head, and a complete and utter ditz. in a way she kinda reminded of Sana from Kodocha and coming from that standpoint , i was clearly sure miss bailey would have gotten usagi, or carrie savage as the second alternative.

and i was clearly sure miss seph would have either been casted as ami or usagi's best friend. or if its possible in later eps , Hotaru/Mistress 9.


also i though that mignona would have gotten mamouru and bosch would have either gotten jedite but not harkeborn and artemis would have been voiced by Lowenthal.

it would definitely sound uber weird having natsu's voice as jedite. i though he would have gotten zoicite's gig or if possible the VA that did Kenshi Himura's voice as well as Tayaka Ogi from Mirage of Blaze.

also another prediction that also went wrong was with the casting for miss higgins. i definitely knew she would be in the cast, but as Jupiter, and Michelle ruff as mars & Yuki Cross's VA(Melia Lee ) as Venus. However since this is not a New Generation Pictures casting, the odds of savage or Meila getting the roles is highly unlikely.that is another prediction that went down the tube

Seltz's casting was definitely predicted , and O Brien, though i am kinda surprise that they never had miss Wendell Lee as Queen Beryl. i though she would have had that cast in the bag after the superb voicing of Shizuka from Vampire Knight.

it just goes to show you that dub cast predctions wont get you anywhere, but it definitely make the discussion a lot of fun in anime forums like these.


Snomaster1 wrote:
WOW!!! Stephanie Sheh is going from voicing Orihime Inoue and Hinata Hyuga to voicing one of the icons of anime. The poor gal must be stressed out,taking a role like this.


That there in an understatement. the union she's in needs to step in fast otherwise she could nuke her voical tone just like the original VA that did Excel Saga but retired cause her vocal tone got deep sixed.

However you might not need to worry that much considering by rep and the ANN info , miss seph's have mainly done support roles and rarely if ever any main lead role.

the only ones i know of where she voiced as the main character (before usagi) are 4 (Eureka from Eureka 7 & AO ,Hanazumi from Kashimashi: Girl Meets Girl , Chikame from Kannazuki no Miko , & using a different name [don't know if its a union/non union thing or cause of the content of the series] Aya Natsume from Tengo Tenge).

And yes. like it or not, both orihime and Hinata are support characters too.


so yea , it might not happen , but after to what happen to Excel Saga's lead VA, better safe than sorry.

Animeking1108 wrote:
Hearing Sheh as Orihime shows that she's a great Usagi, being the ditzy crybaby with a bold side (say what you will about Orihime's combat skills, but so many characters would be dead if she never healed them).

For some reason, I totally predicted Vee would voice Sailor Mars. I expected Kate Higgins as Uranus, though. Well, they can always get Mary Elizabeth McGlynn as Uranus, since she's got that husky voice that's good for making females sounding boyish (Naoto in the P4 anime for example).


nice theory , however there is a higher chance they might have her as Seina for the Stars series instead of Jupiter. That i can easily see happening once they reach that far.

Also you are right about orihime being a clutz , but she has nothing on usagi.i mean seriously the uber ditzy things usagi have done would clearly remind anyone of Sana if they had watched the english dub version of Kodocha.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Sam Murai



Joined: 01 Dec 2006
Posts: 880

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 2:26 pm Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
Snomaster1 wrote:
WOW!!! Stephanie Sheh is going from voicing Orihime Inoue and Hinata Hyuga to voicing one of the icons of anime. The poor gal must be stressed out,taking a role like this.


That there in an understatement. the union she's in needs to step in fast otherwise she could nuke her voical tone just like the original VA that did Excel Saga but retired cause her vocal tone got deep sixed.


I don't see what's so "stressful" about the role, beyond its iconic status. Sheh's natural voice is in line with Orihime's and Hinata's, so she's hardly overworking her vocal cords. An Usagi-type voice wouldn't be much of a struggle for her, either, as she has done roles within that range before. She's also very versatile, has great range, and is a veteran with a lot of lead/primary role experience, plus behind-the-scenes credentials. She knew how major the role would be--and who wouldn't be, if they were going for it (not to mention, it's not like anyone forced her to take it). I think she will be plenty fine.

-----------

As for the casting, I thought they were recruiting a few new VAs going by the interview, but the cast they assembled still looks pretty fresh (despite the no. of veteran/experienced actors; at least combination-wise) and solid. Really looking forward to seeing how it pans out, though I wonder who will be handling the ADR directing and writing duties…
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jr0904



Joined: 24 Dec 2005
Posts: 2540
Location: New York City,New York,USA

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:43 am Reply with quote
Sam Murai wrote:
jr0904 wrote:
Snomaster1 wrote:
WOW!!! Stephanie Sheh is going from voicing Orihime Inoue and Hinata Hyuga to voicing one of the icons of anime. The poor gal must be stressed out,taking a role like this.


That there in an understatement. the union she's in needs to step in fast otherwise she could nuke her voical tone just like the original VA that did Excel Saga but retired cause her vocal tone got deep sixed.


I don't see what's so "stressful" about the role, beyond its iconic status. Sheh's natural voice is in line with Orihime's and Hinata's, so she's hardly overworking her vocal cords. An Usagi-type voice wouldn't be much of a struggle for her, either, as she has done roles within that range before. She's also very versatile, has great range, and is a veteran with a lot of lead/primary role experience, plus behind-the-scenes credentials. She knew how major the role would be--and who wouldn't be, if they were going for it (not to mention, it's not like anyone forced her to take it). I think she will be plenty fine.

-----------

As for the casting, I thought they were recruiting a few new VAs going by the interview, but the cast they assembled still looks pretty fresh (despite the no. of veteran/experienced actors; at least combination-wise) and solid. Really looking forward to seeing how it pans out, though I wonder who will be handling the ADR directing and writing duties…



I think you might be wrong about that. for one thing according to my knowledge from what i know , and her profile on ANN , seph's roles have been mainly support character like orihime and hinata. i know of only 4 series where she voiced as a primary character. and of course usagi is the 5th.

regardless with all of these comittments, you can't blame some people here in the forums from worrying that she might overdue it and suffer the same trouble as Jessica Carvello who retired during Excel Saga's dubbing production from an overworked vocal chord.

Now i highly doubt it will happen to Miss Seph , but caution is definitely in the eye of the beholder if you ask me.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
enurtsol



Joined: 01 May 2007
Posts: 12249

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:58 am Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:

regardless with all of these comittments, you can't blame some people here in the forums from worrying that she might overdue it and suffer the same trouble as Jessica Carvello who retired during Excel Saga's dubbing production from an overworked vocal chord.


BTW, Jessica Calvello has been ex-retired.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group