• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Right Stuf Adds Azazel-san, Yakitate! Japan, Suteki Tantei Labyrinth

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ssgOverlord

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 10:40 pm Reply with quote
Yakitate! is really, really great. I'll probably pick that up because it has been so long since I've first seen it and would be a good excuse to show it to one of my friends.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 11:08 pm Reply with quote
Probably one of the reasons why some people haven't heard of Azazel is because it was never officially streamed when streaming was already the norm. Yakitate! came out when we could only get anime via fansubs.

Azazel is a must-see if you're into dirty jokes and the like. I recommend the manga too. There are so many jokes in there not suitable for TV (hence the OADs) that the producers have trouble finding material they can animate. The anime staff is always begging Kubo sensei to write more stories they can actually broadcast, LoL.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 5:24 am Reply with quote
Awesome! I love Yakitate. I just hope they go to lengths to include liner notes or something like the fansubs, since so much of the humor is based on food science and Japanese wordplay, which most people probably won't get right off the bat.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 6:37 am Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
Awesome! I love Yakitate. I just hope they go to lengths to include liner notes or something like the fansubs, since so much of the humor is based on food science and Japanese wordplay, which most people probably won't get right off the bat.

I really don't get Japan's love with puns, its not just Yakitate Japan, it always seems to be a big thing to do puns. I can't wait to see the angry contestants complain why they were kicked out of the competition, and pierre will reply " Because I'm Clown." The answer to all the world's mysteries, questions, and problems.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 8:36 am Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
I really don't get Japan's love with puns, its not just Yakitate Japan, it always seems to be a big thing to do puns.

Japan's has a different sense of humor. I can turn on TV and there'll be a variety show where everyone is cracking up, and I'll just be sitting there with a straight face because I don't find it funny at all. In fact, I find most Japanese comedians boring. We just laugh at different things.
Dessa

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 11:25 am Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
I really don't get America's love with toilet humor, its not just [insert most any American sitcom, it always seems to be a big thing to do toilet humor.

It's amazing how changing a few words can make a statement about any culture.
ZorinBlitz

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:17 pm Reply with quote
Its nice to see Right Stuf get some titles, they're not very active. I wish they would get more like discotek does.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:24 am Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
CrownKlown wrote:
I really don't get America's love with toilet humor, its not just [insert most any American sitcom, it always seems to be a big thing to do toilet humor.

It's amazing how changing a few words can make a statement about any culture.

First, I am European.

Second, I don't like Toliet Humor.

Third, I was seriously asking the question, not insulting anyone, as you apparently are trying to do.

Fourth, Super Radical Gag Family (there is literally an entire episode that revolves around someone taking a crap in a toliet and hijinks that enuse), Monty Python, etc. Toliet Humor, more commonly known as gag humor is a common type of comedy worldwide.
Dessa

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:10 am Reply with quote
One, I don't know or care where you're from.

Two, I never accused you of anything.

Three, I wasn't even making a comment about you.

Four, I was making a statement in general. I am American, and I hate American comedy. I'm sure you could change words around for whatever country you're from, too. My point was that every country has some sort of "common theme" in their comedy, that people both within and without that country are going to not get and/or dislike.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:26 pm Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:

Fourth, Super Radical Gag Family (there is literally an entire episode that revolves around someone taking a crap in a toliet and hijinks that enuse), Monty Python, etc. Toliet Humor, more commonly known as gag humor is a common type of comedy worldwide.

Aw c'mon, what about those times anime girls have to pee Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3