• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Dark Horse To Release Oh My Goddess! Omnibus Manga

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 12:18 pm Reply with quote
@invalidname
While that may have been a rhetorical question, I have an answer for you.

There have been 45 volumes released by Dark Horse to date. They comprise a total of 7755 pages of content. The count includes extra illustrations and the contents page but does not include the text pages, ads and fan art at the end.

There are three volumes yet to go. If we assume they have an additional 150 pages each the total will be about 8200 pages.
nhat

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 12:24 pm Reply with quote
Been behind on getting the latest volumes and starting to get worry because print media is starting to die off so don't want to fall behind too much!
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:37 pm Reply with quote
And of course they would have to do this after I bought nearly all the volumes. Evil or Very Mad
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:04 pm Reply with quote
@nhat
It will probably take Dark Horse a couple of years to put out 15 omnibus volumes of Oh! My Goddess. Print media for this series is probably safe until then.
skaly

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:05 pm Reply with quote
Cool. I've been wanting to read this series, but I've been holding out for omnibuses.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:24 pm Reply with quote
Alan: Though I hope the series itself is finished being published here within a year, and that DH doesn't try to drag out the last volume to boost demand.
morisato

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 6:04 pm Reply with quote
There are 48 volumes of the manga series. Kodansha releases the final volume, Aa! Megamisama volume 48 (FINAL) this month. Comparing the Dark Horse releases to their previous releases of the manga, when compared to the Kodansha releases, Dark Horse isn't scheduled to release Volume 47 until March 2015, with Volume 48 being released in July 2015.

Dark Horse's publishing schedule releases approximately a year after the original Kodansha release. For an assigned release of the Dark Horse manga volumes, compared to the original tankouban manga volumes released by Kodansha, you can see a publication chart here:

http://goddess-project.net/articles/complete/chapter-index.html

Please note that the resources from that list were compiled from Dark Horse's own website as well as from Kodansha's own website.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 7:03 pm Reply with quote
@GATSU
Agreed, though I have been buying the title for 17 years now and have learned to be patient. I just wish they would print all of "You're Under Arrest".

@morisato
That chart is interesting but a bit confusing to the newcomer. As you probably know, Dark Horse has been publishing Oh My Goddess! a lot longer. It first came out in comic form in August 1994. The first 20 volumes were published flipped with the first two volumes having a rather complicated history. The release dated shown on that site are for the second edition of the first 20 volumes.

I knew that for the unflipped edition they had replaced some of the cover art based on a later edition by the original publisher. I'm glad to see that it involved only volumes 1,2 and 5.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 7:08 pm Reply with quote
Alan: Allegedly, Fujishima hates the artwork for YUA, and it's not even in print in Japan.

morisato: Normally, the reason DH would take so long between volumes was that it was an ongoing series; and they didn't want U.S. fans to wait significantly longer than their Japanese counterparts. But now, they should be able to speed the release up.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 11:12 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised they are finally going this route and yet the series still isn't finished. I'm surprised that DH has continued publishing this series even all the others have failed and have been dropped.
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 6:20 am Reply with quote
Chrno: It's not finished, because it isn't technically finished in Japan until the last book. And DH continues publishing the series, because it makes money.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:46 am Reply with quote
@GATSU
I had heard that about YUA. It is a shame, the older artwork, which includes the first few volumes of OMG is not bad, it is just different. I always assumed this is why the reissued OMG had a few new cover illustrations. Japan at least got a full set of YUA in graphic novel form before he took it off the market, I have a couple of them.

In one of the first issues of OMG in comic book form stated that they would be alternating Oh My Goddess! and You're Under Arrest every six months. Apparently that plan was discarded when OMG turned out to be more popular.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:58 am Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
@invalidname
While that may have been a rhetorical question, I have an answer for you.

There have been 45 volumes released by Dark Horse to date. They comprise a total of 7755 pages of content. The count includes extra illustrations and the contents page but does not include the text pages, ads and fan art at the end.

There are three volumes yet to go. If we assume they have an additional 150 pages each the total will be about 8200 pages.

How long that took you to figure that figure out (I'm not saying this with sarcam)? Even if DH doesn't release the final volume until 2015, they are caught up with releasing a popular series compared to some companies releasing LNs here.

It'd be nice if their site could do a downloadable vol. 48 or a 100-page sampler before the print version so that fans can can have somewhat of an official release to read. Obviously, I think fans should have to pay a fee for either version. With this, fans might be able to tell DH about translation/grammar errors to fix before the print release ships.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:25 pm Reply with quote
@Kadmos1
About 10 minutes. Since it is an ongoing series all 45 volumes are sitting on a shelf in the anime/manga room. Fortunately, the pages are numbered. I used an adding machine. If you wanted to know something about the comics, it would take longer as they are in a box in the storage room.

If you are curious, the longest volume is #17 at 248 pages and the shortest #40 at 112 pages. Volumes 41 to 45 are in the 160 to 170 page range so the estimate of 150 pages a volume for the remaining is conservative. I would hope that volume 48 will be fairly long.

I'll pass on a digital copy. I have no interest in reading manga on my computer if I know it will be available in book form.
Keiichi-chan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:21 pm Reply with quote
Lann wrote:
How about no. The first half of this series is good (not great, just good). then it gets worse and worse then fizzles out. Avoid.

says someone who has followed the series for years and joined several forums based around it?

the start s good, then it becomes great, but like most long-running manga, the ending felt a little rushed and anticlimactic. definitely worth reading for the characters, though.

hopefully, this will entice newer fans to check the series out, but i already own like 80% of the regular DH editions, so i think i'm just gonna collect the rest of the series sticking with those.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3