• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Brynhildr in the Darkness

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stretch2424

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:58 am Reply with quote
Ah, I just watched the final episode last night and, as everyone predicted, it is a disaster. After taking a reasonable and pedestrian pace for most of the story, in the last two or three episodes the show basically leapfrogs forward at lightspeed into a radically different situation. There is so much change so quickly that it's hard to remain connected or take it seriously. If I hadn't heard that the anime bypassed literally volumes of the manga to get to the conclusion, I'd assume that the anime people were given a license to create whatever ending they pleased for an as yet unfinished manga. Also, the conclusion is terribly melodramatic and simplistic. Characters which have been carefully developed seem to be thrown away pointlessly. Or maybe not, because the way the show ended left me scratching my head. It makes no sense whatsoever. Concepts like a 'micro black hole' made me laugh rather than be thrilled. It's hard to believe that the same author as wrote the bulk of the story had anything to do with this conclusion. With the benefit of hindsight, the show should have abandoned the alien link altogether and concentrated on the fight to secure 'Death Suppressant' medicine and defeat Valkyria. The alien business could have been saved for a second season if the show did well. As it is, there's little left to salvage. That's a shame, because this show definitely had some talent to it up until things ran away near the end. In the end I'm not angry at Brynhildr, I just regret that a good deal of it went to waste. Maybe I'll compose an alternate ending of my own to salvage something.
Cyclone1993

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:10 pm Reply with quote
Stretch2424 wrote:
. Maybe I'll compose an alternate ending of my own to salvage something.

Or you could just read the manga...

The manga's first arc ends in the same place the anime does. It just has 20+ chapters of development for all the plot changes that happen within the last 2 episodes that get cut out, and ultimately weakens the ending.

Then there is the second arc which is just starting, which is about character development for a character who didn't get to do a whole lot during the first part, while still delving into the mysteries of Vingulf.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:30 pm Reply with quote
If someone just wants to read the development in the manga that was skipped over, but not necessarily the whole manga, what chapters are we talking about here?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cyclone1993

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:37 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
If someone just wants to read the development in the manga that was skipped over, but not necessarily the whole manga, what chapters are we talking about here?

I believe the best place to start would be around chapter 58. That is when Valkyria is introduced. Some of the stuff prior to that is important, but the majority of the rush job happened between chapter 58-100.
Ali07

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:05 pm Reply with quote
Wow, heaps of chapters that they cut through in the last 3 episodes. This may be a series where I break my "no digital" rule on, only because I really enjoyed the first 9 episodes.
Cyclone1993

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:58 pm Reply with quote
Ali07 wrote:
Wow, heaps of chapters that they cut through in the last 3 episodes. This may be a series where I break my "no digital" rule on, only because I really enjoyed the first 9 episodes.

Also there was a 10 chapter arc or so that featured character development for Kazumi that took place before chapter 58. I think the series stops following the manga closely around chapter 37 or so. Right after the introduction of Nanami.
Ali07

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:56 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the tidbit Cyclone1993, Kazumi turned out to be my favourite girl! Laughing
zunderdog24

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:31 am Reply with quote
Has no one realized that the OP's tell you what the pacing of the show will be like.
The first opening was slow, light and hinted at some mystery with the style of music, this is shown in the anime by the slow pacing and the MC trying to figure out whats going on,
while the second opening was all fast, loud and hardcore, "witch"....hehehe,
shows its gonna be filled with action, no mystery and fast pacing.
its so easy to tell because it was such a hard cut difference between the episodes you'd have to be an idiot to not see it.
AND DONT GIVE ME THAT CRAP ABOUT-
"oh, but there was action in the first half as well" BULLSHIT,
that wasn't action.... that was exposition.
bibotot

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:39 pm Reply with quote
Damn it. The whole series was a let down. The leading male is always clueless. I would like a whiny ass but competent character like Shinji over Ryouta.
The deaths are just preposterous. Even though characters have some moments speaking before dying, they should have died immediately anyway because that would leave a greater impact. In the end, I don't give a damn care about any of them. The last battle was anti-climatic as hell.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:38 pm Reply with quote
bibotot wrote:
I would like a whiny ass but competent character like Shinji over Ryouta.

Seriously? I never thought I'd see that sentiment in writing.

Regardless Ryouta was not all that incompetent, but the irritating thing about the story is that he would have flashes of inspiration and insight and then it was never developed or followed up on or for that matter even remembered. He manages to orchestrate a semi-successful raid on the factory, but never attempts anything like it again. He is willing to take risks, and manages to outwit pretty formidable enemy witches. He seems to have almost no curiosity about the aliens.

It seems to me the MC not bad but was just done in by a poorly constructed script.

P.S. It looks like the above was your first post here. Assuming that isn't just a new alias welcome aboard.
Ali07

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:02 am Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
He seems to have almost no curiosity about the aliens.

Yes, he had come curiosity. That'd be why he gave the spoiler[alien egg to the professor]. A loose end that is just left there...what's he going to do with it?
Cyclone1993

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:08 pm Reply with quote
Ali07 wrote:
HaruhiToy wrote:

Yes, he had come curiosity. That'd be why he gave the spoiler[alien egg to the professor]. A loose end that is just left there...what's he going to do with it?

That's a loose end that is still in the manga as well. Considering they were following the manga pretty closely and didn't go with an original ending, it would make sense to leave it dangling.
Diamondketo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:50 pm Reply with quote
People like to exaggerate the flaws lol.
It was not 37 or w/e number of chapters adapted into 2 episodes. It was 25+ chapters skipped in order to end the anime in 13 episodes.

I wouldn't mind them doing a cliffhanger, they could've predicted that brynhildr will get a good amount of sales and end it at a place good for a second season.
Ali07

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:44 pm Reply with quote
Cyclone1993 wrote:
Ali07 wrote:
HaruhiToy wrote:

That's a loose end that is still in the manga as well. Considering they were following the manga pretty closely and didn't go with an original ending, it would make sense to leave it dangling.

You're right. One of many loose ends. I just found the comment on his apparent lack of curiosity to be incorrect.

For me, the ending gives closure to an arc. An ending where the battle was won but the war rages on. We get to see spoiler[the defeat of the only villain given a face, the destruction of one base, but the organisation and shadowy bosses are still out there].

As for a 2nd season, how long would it be before there is enough material to adapt? A whole chunk of chapters was cut through like tissue paper to end it pretty much where the manga is at right now.
Cyclone1993

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:59 am Reply with quote
Ali07 wrote:
Cyclone1993 wrote:
Ali07 wrote:
HaruhiToy wrote:

You're right. One of many loose ends. I just found the comment on his apparent lack of curiosity to be incorrect.

For me, the ending gives closure to an arc. An ending where the battle was won but the war rages on. We get to see spoiler[the defeat of the only villain given a face, the destruction of one base, but the organisation and shadowy bosses are still out there].

As for a 2nd season, how long would it be before there is enough material to adapt? A whole chunk of chapters was cut through like tissue paper to end it pretty much where the manga is at right now.

They've only got maybe 10 chapters past where the anime ended...so it will be awhile. Probably another year or so before they have enough material to adapt.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5