• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Sword Art Online's Kirito Tops Newtype Character Popularity Poll

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shamisen the great

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:29 am Reply with quote
Thatguy3331 wrote:
I'm sorry, but @zeo1fan...are those subtitles I see correct? Because that's without a doubt the stupidest thing I've ever heard. I'm mostly referring to the last three images, but does Kirito seriously believe that?
I think it's a fair statement. It reminds me of the scene in Evangelion that said something along the lines of, "there is the me that exists in my mind, and the me that exists in your mind." How we perceive someone is the reality to us and vice a versa. Not that I think SAO is that deep, but I don't think it's stupid.
zeo1fan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:57 am Reply with quote
shamisen the great wrote:
Thatguy3331 wrote:
I'm sorry, but @zeo1fan...are those subtitles I see correct? Because that's without a doubt the stupidest thing I've ever heard. I'm mostly referring to the last three images, but does Kirito seriously believe that?
I think it's a fair statement. It reminds me of the scene in Evangelion that said something along the lines of, "there is the me that exists in my mind, and the me that exists in your mind." How we perceive someone is the reality to us and vice a versa. Not that I think SAO is that deep, but I don't think it's stupid.

Existentialism, as a philosophy, essentially denies that any objective reality exists. It promotes selfishness by convincing its followers that everyone produces their own reality, therefore, the only thing that really matters is how they feel about themselves. Which, of course, doesn't work because humans are social animals. We find fulfillment in doing good for other people. By retreating inwards, we're catalyzing our own self-destructions. In laymen's terms, are you really using Shinji Ikari, one of the most cowardly, selfish, infamously loathed anime protagonists in existence, to validate Kirito, philosophically?
Lusbox

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:14 am Reply with quote
Enjoy that Haruhi's still there Laughing
E.G.K

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:22 am Reply with quote
Well I think most of us can agree that this really is a popularity poll and not a really 'serious' poll, so should there be any surprise who the top 5 male characters are? In fact, I'm surprised that Sora from No Game No Life didn't make it to the top.

Yeah all those characters and shows itself definitely has it very generous serving of flaws we love to point out and make fun of, but the general voting populace of course think otherwise so while I generally disagree with the rankings, I'm definitely not surprised.

Last edited by E.G.K on Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:40 am; edited 1 time in total
gilg4mesh

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:37 am Reply with quote
I read the novel vol 1 and like i2
I read vol 2, dropped it... hella Kirito is like changing his personality depends on the woman who accompanies him... I prefer deadpan Tatsuya rather than him -_-
shamisen the great

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:41 am Reply with quote
zeo1fan wrote:

Existentialism, as a philosophy, essentially denies that any objective reality exists. It promotes selfishness by convincing its followers that everyone produces their own reality, therefore, the only thing that really matters is how they feel about themselves. Which, of course, doesn't work because humans are social animals. We find fulfillment in doing good for other people. By retreating inwards, we're catalyzing our own self-destructions. In laymen's terms, are you really using Shinji Ikari, one of the most cowardly, selfish, infamously loathed anime protagonists in existence, to validate Kirito, philosophically?
Actually I am. I've always seen a lot of Shinji in myself and have related to Evangelion on an emotional level. The constant Shinji bashing always saddens me, as I see it as a rejection of myself and others who have difficulty forming connections with others. However, I in no way think Kirito is anywhere near that good of a character. I merely was using the Eva quote to explain what I thought Kirito's statement meant.
vapwaazu

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:11 am Reply with quote
konqueror wrote:
This is... news?.

No, topic name starts with "INTEREST"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
L'Imperatore

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:27 am Reply with quote
I see Jotaro! Rejoice, everyone! Very Happy

Oh, by the way... Anyone but me realises that none of AoT characters made it into top 10? Shocked Popularity goes down as time flows, sure. But still...
Takamachi Ryoko

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:51 am Reply with quote
Well AoT was last year, if it was last year they would be here. And ANN didn't post these polls until this year. Still Levi was in the top 10 of a recent poll though.

The poll only focuses on those from last seasons. I'm kinda surprised that among these male top 10, Kira is the only one not from a Spring 2014 show.

Popularity changes with time. Wait for another year and the popularity will change, characters from next year shows will eventually replace the current.
NeverSleep

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:00 am Reply with quote
gilg4mesh wrote:
I read the novel vol 1 and like i2
I read vol 2, dropped it... hella Kirito is like changing his personality depends on the woman who accompanies him... I prefer deadpan Tatsuya rather than him -_-

I threw the novel away at volume 6 it had already insulted my intelligence quite a bit by that time, but in volume 6 I had to close it midway and just quit.

spoiler[Kirito is contacted by the government to solve the mystery behind the murders, and for this he is getting into the game under surveillance and have their contacts. But at some point in novel 6, he finds out that Shinon will be killed as the next target and that the killers act outside the game to kill the person, the most obvious course of action would be just telling the authorities and letting them with all their resources find her home and assure her safety.

What happens is, Kirito rushes to her house, and arrive in the nick of time to probably save her, I wouldn't know, I just quit when he arrived with his always black clothes because cool.

Of course, this is because I got past the fact that the authorities weren't able to detect the people were killing by poisoning or embolism in the real world and decided to use a teenager to investigate the online game.]

The first arc felt like Shakespeare compared to Phantom Bullet.
SynergyMan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:01 am Reply with quote
kazenoyume wrote:
Vaisaga wrote:

... And how exactly is Jesus Yamato

Jesus Yamato remains a nickname used by people who are just mad that their faves didn't get the amount of screentime Kira did/that the creators happen to be fond of Kira. It's ridiculous and false and a sure sign of butthurt.

It's not butthurt. He's not a good character. Why is he in Destiny? He doesn't change and he never [expletive] loses. He always stomps everything, with no challenge and he's a hypocrite, as he tells people to stop fighting, while blowing shit up, like everyone else in Destiny. He stole Shinn's spot as the main character, due to pandering. If Shinn is supposed to be the main character, then make him the main character. Don't replace him 3/4 of the way. No Gundam show does this, with AGE not counting, as it's a completely different format.

PS: Even Shinji bitchslaps Kira in SRW, so that should tell you something.
Ingraman

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:05 pm Reply with quote
Mizuno Ami had quite a lot of at or near the top of the Newtype polls when Sailor Moon was originally airing. I wonder if her SMCrystal version can reach similar heights.
angieness

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:58 pm Reply with quote
Eh, I enjoyed SAO and I still have no idea why Kirito is on that list. I didn't really care about him as a character, I just liked his fight scenes. But then again I primarily watched SAO because it was pretty and had well done action. It is nice to have shallow reasons for watching a series every now and then, it gives me a break between the more artsy/deep stuff because I just can't do serious stuff all the time. I don't think there's enough facepalms in the word to explain how I felt about the fairy arc though.
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:47 pm Reply with quote
Sorry to barge in but I'm extremely happy to se Yu on this list, he is slowly topping my list of favourite characters of this year. Anyways, carry on as I'll be taking my leave.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
zeo1fan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:25 pm Reply with quote
shamisen the great wrote:
zeo1fan wrote:

Actually I am. I've always seen a lot of Shinji in myself and have related to Evangelion on an emotional level. The constant Shinji bashing always saddens me, as I see it as a rejection of myself and others who have difficulty forming connections with others. However, I in no way think Kirito is anywhere near that good of a character. I merely was using the Eva quote to explain what I thought Kirito's statement meant.

It's no wonder why people like that can't form connections with others. Being social creatures, most people can sense when another person is alienating themselves.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6