• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Ryohgo Narita's Stealth Symphony Manga Ends Next Week

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:37 am Reply with quote
Were popularity polls used see how well this title fared? I mean, I think that not all Japanese readers read all the SJ titles
Angel'sArcanum

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:35 pm Reply with quote
bigivel wrote:
Angel'sArcanum wrote:
I had heard rumours but this sets it in stone. I wanted to get around to this manga but kept forgetting. I'm so pissed off with how Shonen Jump and its readers have been in recent years; some quality titles have gotten axed before they could complete their run and yet Naruto keeps elongating itself like a tumour and people still eat up that garbage. I long for the day Shonen Jump turns itself around; where's the rest of Nurarihyon no Mago dammit!? Evil or Very Mad

Recent years? LOL, it is like this since 1973! Since that time a lot of series are being axed every year, series where a lot of them you would wish they were completed.
Do you know Saint Seiya? Yep it didn't got a complete ending. Do you know Shaman King? The same thing.
There is a lot of other titles like those.

Nurarihyon no Mago, Beelzebub and others were only decently popular and than at sometime they got super bad/boring, at least for the readers. They were given time to recover. Beelzebub had almost one year for that. Nothing changed so WSJ had no mercy.

Naruto is another story! Naruto not only was Mega popular for a Mega long time, but it still has an incredible following that makes it has great rankings every week. You can think how much you want that it is bad right now(I think it too), but not the fans, and they are a LOT.

Saint Seiya DOES have an ending, it's just that it is a BAD one, same with Shaman King to a degree - the full ending was cut a little short, but they still gave Takei the chance to release the finale shortly after and it too was pretty weak.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hospodar

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:42 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
Were popularity polls used see how well this title fared? I mean, I think that not all Japanese readers read all the SJ titles

In every WSJ Issue there is a postcard. Readers are to choose the 3 series that they enjoyed the most this week and send it back. Those are than counted and the placement in the magazine of the series is decided by the number of votes they get. The ones with the most votes are at the top and the ones with the least votes are places at the bottom.
Given that around every 10 weeks, 1-4(usually 2) new series start, the same number of series has to be cancelled or end to make room for the new series.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:50 pm Reply with quote
I honestly don't get this. Stealth Symphony was my favorite manga almost every week it ran. The art was gorgeous and the story was consistently engaging. I suppose it is reaching a natural conclusion point though. I just don't see them replacing it with anything remotely as good.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:00 pm Reply with quote
i read two chapters, then dropped it so quick. Even though i paid for it, i still don't want to read it.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:16 pm Reply with quote
Angel'sArcanum wrote:

Saint Seiya DOES have an ending, it's just that it is a BAD one, same with Shaman King to a degree - the full ending was cut a little short, but they still gave Takei the chance to release the finale shortly after and it too was pretty weak.

Kurumada was forced into ending Saint Seiya early, so while it's an ending it wasn't what Kurumada originally planned. Same with Shaman King, though that's an even crazier example as Takei was obviously not given proper time to make any sort of actual ending. Also, Shaman King didn't get an actual ending "shortly after" by any means, unless a five year gap between the end of serialization & the last Kanzenban release is a short amount of time to you.

So, while they aren't quite the same situations as Stealth Symphony's quick ending, they are similar in that they didn't finish as intended. It's just that forced/rushed endings don't tend to happen to long-runners as often as it happens to newbies that don't make it.
Dragynstorm

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:26 pm Reply with quote
Angel'sArcanum wrote:
I long for the day Shonen Jump turns itself around; where's the rest of Nurarihyon no Mago dammit!? Evil or Very Mad

While I agree that a lot of good stuff has gotten the axe, I have to disagree with your comment on Nura simply because it DID end. They had the final battle, there were even a few bonus chapters. It would have been nice if it went on a bit longer, but it did complete its main story.

But yeah, lots of other stuff have (IMO) gotten cut way too soon. I will mourn the loss of Stealth Symphony.
paperbox

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:57 am Reply with quote
thats a shame...
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:14 pm Reply with quote
What, really? Aw come on, Stealth Symphony has been so awesome up till now. Figures a dragon-centric anything doesn't interest anyone. Dragons just can't win in today's world. >>
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 3:08 am Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:

Figures a dragon-centric anything doesn't interest anyone. Dragons just can't win in today's world. >>

Game of Thrones? Well ok maybe not. Laughing
Ryu Shoji

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:34 am Reply with quote
I was actually starting to enjoy Stealth Symphony, although it did have glaring issues (such as the pacing). It had an interesting world set up and cast of characters that could have done so much more.

The final chapter also felt more like the beginning of a new story arc to me, as opposed to a finale.

I think if I was asked to described Stealth Symphony is one word, it would be "rushed".
Angel'sArcanum

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:21 pm Reply with quote
Dragynstorm wrote:
Angel'sArcanum wrote:
I long for the day Shonen Jump turns itself around; where's the rest of Nurarihyon no Mago dammit!? Evil or Very Mad

While I agree that a lot of good stuff has gotten the axe, I have to disagree with your comment on Nura simply because it DID end. They had the final battle, there were even a few bonus chapters. It would have been nice if it went on a bit longer, but it did complete its main story.

But yeah, lots of other stuff have (IMO) gotten cut way too soon. I will mourn the loss of Stealth Symphony.

Well it needed a lot more padding and I feel Rikuo's odyssey could've extended to an extra arc along with an extension on the rather rushed final arc. Some events seemed a little poorly founded and shafted just to tie up the most major of plot points.

As for Shaman King and Saint Seiya, I wasn't aware of the gap between Kanzenban and the original ending, so you got me there, nor was I aware that Kuramada got cut off a bit, I guess that makes my points less valid, but I guess I was instilled with the idea that these titles were so hugely popular that them getting cut short seemed to ring false.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2