• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Animated Pacific Rim Series in Talks With Japanese Studios

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:51 am Reply with quote
Sanzigen (Arpeggio of Blue Steel) or more realistically Polygon Pictures, PP would be the safe bet as they have already worked with a good chunk of Western animation projects with CG style animation, so if they are looking for a CG stylized Pac Rim series its almost a given that it will be PP to get the most out of there money.
kevinx59

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:05 am Reply with quote
Wait, so this might actually be part anime? Cool.

Maybe Studio 4C? They seem to have a lot of experience with U.S. works. Madhouse may be good, though they don't do much mecha. Production IG or Satelight are fine by me. Hell, maybe Gonzo (hey, I still like em').
FackuIkari

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:59 am Reply with quote
please be MADHOUSE, please be MADHOUSE, please be MADHOUSE, please be MADHOUSE, please be MADHOUSE, please be MADHOUSE
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:56 am Reply with quote
Xebec have a good history with Mech shows
Lycosyncer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:46 am Reply with quote
Working with a Japanese animated studio for the animated Pacific Rim series? Seems appropriate to have and I have some hope that it would be much more decent than the Marvel/Madhouse productions.
Divineking

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:43 am Reply with quote
I'm totally on board with a japanese studio animating this (partial to BONES myself) but I kind of hope they have american writers on board for it. Mostly because letting Japan handle the writing didn't work out very well for the Marvel stuff and also because it's been a while since the last actual mecha show from the west (still mourning the loss of Sym Bionic Titan).

I really hope this turns out to be cool and I'm glad they aren't aiming for a big episode count given the recent fates of many action shows here...
Ryu Shoji

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:03 am Reply with quote
I'm putting my money on Madhouse. They tend to like doing things with western mone-I mean, companies.
djnibeyv

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:33 am Reply with quote
i will say.... Studio Shaft. seriously del toro + akiyuki shinbo = masterpiece!
Agent355

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:40 am Reply with quote
djnibeyv wrote:
i will say.... Studio Shaft. seriously del toro + akiyuki shinbo = masterpiece!

So the jaegers and kaiju could give one another that signature over-the-shoulder stare? Laughing

Polygon Pictures did Star Wars the Clone Wars and Knights of Sidonia, they'd be a good choice (I'd rather see a 2D show than a 3D show, but 3D is becoming more popular, and it'll help make all the mechanical jaegers flow with the character animation)
SynergyMan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:45 am Reply with quote
Lavnovice9 wrote:
People seem to be over-analyzing the studio as if it matters. It wont matter unless the studio gives a crap about the source material. Pierrot worked on Korra, Madhouse worked on Marvel stuff, Production I.G worked on Mass Effect. All of which weren't very good. Contract work is always inferior because it's just a relationship born from money, not one of passion.

Only one of those is non-anime, so try again. The Marvel anime was produced, directed and written by people in Madhouse FOR a Japanese audience. Mas Effect was produced and written, as well as directed by several Japanese directors. It's not contract work for 2/3 of those, so please try again.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:02 pm Reply with quote
I wonder how well this film did in Japan. I know that Del Toro is a big anine fan as well as a bit teddy. But this would be interesting to see. But what what would the animation look like? I could see a well done 2D, 3D or doing it old school. Actually someone did do a illustration like that. But be curious to see what direction they plan to take. Meanwhile the 2nd movie is so far off.
silentjay

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:03 pm Reply with quote
SynergyMan wrote:
Mas Effect was produced and written, as well as directed by several Japanese directors.

It was written by Henry Gilroy, of Clone Wars fame.
Wrangler

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:16 pm Reply with quote
I would let Sunrise give it a shot, as long they write story/dialog right. They did Big O awhile ago, Pacific Rim is similar scale of monster/robot fighting to that.

I'm not expecting good things though. Aiming for a "Very young" audience screams to me its going to be kiddized and won't have as much appeal as it would sound. I rather have grown pilots, than kids.

The older shows had adults piloting giant robots, why have young kids people piloting them?
TopGunman

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:25 pm Reply with quote
Man, Pacific Rim was a total waste of time. I really hated how they forced an poorly-written (and that's being kind) romantic subplot.
Agent355

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:27 pm Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:
I wonder how well this film did in Japan. I know that Del Toro is a big anine fan as well as a bit teddy.

What does this mean?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4