• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Animated Pacific Rim Series in Talks With Japanese Studios

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 2:04 am Reply with quote
iloveturkey wrote:
TopGunman wrote:
Man, Pacific Rim was a total waste of time. I really hated how they forced an poorly-written (and that's being kind) romantic subplot.

Of the more common complaints I heard about the movie in Japan at the time of it's screening was it came off as the essence of American action cinema, also known as the popcorn flick. For better or worse, I don't think that's what Pacific Rim wanted to be labeled as.

What does this even mean? Why would this be a complaint?
The big American Popcorn flick is the one that sells in Japan. No, the world. So why would that be a common complaint. Please link to these common complaints that PR was just another American Popcorn flick which has never seemingly stopped something like Transformers from hitting it big.

Also what else was PR trying to be other than a fun action movie?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
SynergyMan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 6:20 am Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:
ikillchicken wrote:
Wait. Do you mean to tell me...that those shows...weren't just conceived immaculately? That they didn't drip freely from glorious mother Nippon's golden tit like REAL anime do!? The staff/studio behind those projects...actually got PAID for their work!?

*faints*

What's with the unprovoked sarcasm? I never said they weren't paid, I was merely pointing out to SynergyMan that contract work is contract work, despite who wrote those movies. Those are all examples of companies hiring other studios to produce a work for them so there's no difference between them.

-Stuart Smith

Almost all anime is contract work. There are these things called production committees. Note how Madoka is synonymous with Shaft, yet Shaft holds no copyright for Madoka or anything they do. It's because Aniplex contracted them(no pun intended) to create the animation. Sunrise, Ghibli, Bones and Production IG are exceptions, in that they hold copyrights, produce and animate certain anime, but when are you going to see a Gundam show without Bandai's name on it? Even before the takeover, if you watch Gundam 0083, it clearly shows Bandai Co on the production committee. Ghibli didn't even own the copyright for Grave. IG didn't hold the copyright for the original GITS, because they didn't produce the original GITS, though they produced SAC. It's because Manga, Bandai Visual and Kodansha contracted IG. Your logic is messed up
Guile

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:00 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
DavetheUsher wrote:

These co-production projects never turn out well, man. Have any of them even been profitable?

Those Marvel/DC/Matrix ones don't lose money. They could sell a ton of those in the world for essentially less than a Hollywood animation studio would cost. That's why they keep making 'em.

That seems likely. It's worth keeping in mind these kinds of products are not aimed at anime fans, but fans of the IP. In Mass Effect's case nobody in Japan is interested in the franchise, so most anime fans had no desire to watch it. However, the gamers in America who are fans of Mass Effect might have been interested in it and watched it. And given a lot of them being direct to video film, it can probably sell enough on name alone to justify the production cost, even if they're never super popular enough to justify making sequels.

A key thing to remember is just because a Japanese studio is involved does not mean the co-production is aimed at anime fans, it just means it's more than likely the only studio they could find to animate their work given the subject matter is not inline with most of what western networks and studios air and produce. Most co-productions listed in this thread have been completely ignored in Japan, so it's safe to say these are more aimed at westerners.
Anti_Nadalista

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:47 am Reply with quote
Animatrix was made because the Wachowski are big anime fans, some of it was even written by the japanese and the staff was amazing, top animators all around. Animatrix is actually much better than those stupid sequels and after their success WB tried with Batman.

The Kill Bill anime segment was animated by some of the best animators in Japan, some of them are legends. The Marvel fiasco is a diffrerent story, very tiny budgets and a crappy schedule to animate 4 shows, no wonder they were bad Anime hyper.

Bones and Sunrise have the best mecha animators in Japan right now and IMO the only good choices for this project. TRIGGER has amazing animators but they are a very small studio and they have too many projects already.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:18 am Reply with quote
Anti_Nadalista wrote:

The Kill Bill anime segment was animated by some of the best animators in Japan, some of them are legends. The Marvel fiasco is a diffrerent story, very tiny budgets and a crappy schedule to animate 4 shows, no wonder they were bad Anime hyper.

Marvel has their fans in Japan (though not necessarily those who would watch it animated/anime), as exemplified in the controversy a couple years ago:

"Japanese 'Avengers' fans up in arms over shoddy voice acting on Blu-ray release"
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:46 pm Reply with quote
With Gonzo's heyday over, Madman seem to be the main go-to company for western co-productions, but then there's FUNimation's co-pros with Oxybot and IG and 4°C's Thundercats.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4