• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Are ANN book clubs still a thing?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RadarJay

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:39 am Reply with quote
I may be pretty new here, but I know that a few years ago you all used to have these lovely discussions called ANN book clubs where you would go in depth episode by episode on some pretty thought provoking series. So, I just kinda have to ask... what happened to them? Were they just never really that popular? Would it be in bad decorum to start one up now?
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:55 am Reply with quote
Really "focused" discussion threads (such as the Book Clubs) tend to create a kind of rift, where only a small number of people actually participate and everybody else just kinda' reads along.

Users are always welcomed to start new discussion threads (Book Club style or not). But a fair word of warning: the more analytical you are, the bigger the rift will get. For example, see my Mushishi thread >_>...

Although, in its defense, while it doesn't get a lot of discussion, it's gotten a ton of views for essentially a 1-man effort. So I guess I did *something* okay Razz.

But yeah, feel free to start a new Book Club thread for whatever titles you fancy, and I'll add 'em to the Index.

Currently, the titles that already have one are:

Eve no Jikan
Haibane Renmei
Kino's Journey
Serial Experiments Lain
Texhnolyze
Wolf's Rain
Imperialkat

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:24 pm Reply with quote
I thought there were more than that. I remember participating in Book Club threads for Gankutsuou and Niea_7, and I'm pretty sure there was one for Paranoia Agent as well.

I seem to come running everytime ANN Book Club gets mentioned around here. Perhaps I should start one. Is there any interest in such a thing anymore?
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 5:20 pm Reply with quote
Imperialkat wrote:
I thought there were more than that. I remember participating in Book Club threads for Gankutsuou and Niea_7, and I'm pretty sure there was one for Paranoia Agent as well.

Actually, I think you're right. The list I made was based solely on what's listed in the Index at the moment using the Search function for "ANN Book Club." but I should probably go through and check to make sure some of the entries aren't mis-labeled or something.

EDIT: Okay, found all 3 and renamed them from "Main Thread" to "ANN Book Club."
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:00 am Reply with quote
I only participated in the Eve no Jikan book club but I did enjoy it - even if I didn't particularly enjoy the anime itself. I'd definitely be interested in seeing it revived, though my participation would definitely depend on the title picked, both for interest and availability (though these days, availability may be less of an issue, with Crunchyroll and Netflix).
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:59 am Reply with quote
My issue is even when I have every intention of going back and watching the shows again (or watching for the first time) I never seem to find the time to watch let alone analyze on top of the regular shows I watch every season.

But I did enjoy reading other people contributions to these threads.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1