• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Manga That Was Cancelled Due to Tokyo Ordinance Is Posted Online

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kebble

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:25 pm Reply with quote
There's no shortage of people who're trying to suggest that a good story merits a degree of objectionable content... but before you say something like that, isn't it essential for you to read that specific material first?!

I don't know why so many of you, after reading the description that was provided, are so optimistic about this story. Clearly the objectionable content includes the use of children.

I hate unwarranted censorship, but when something does a lot more harm than good (if it does any good), I don't blame someone from the government for putting a stop to it. Given what we know, and not taking anything else from other manga we've read before, this manga is certainly being marketed to pedophiles.

Aki-Sora is an example of a manga that fought through both Japanese and American censorship, because at its base there was a story you could argue was worth reading.
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:06 pm Reply with quote
Maybe Japanese publishers should have done the work needed to keep the government out of the decision-making when it comes to art.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Polycell

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:38 am Reply with quote
Kebble wrote:
There's no shortage of people who're trying to suggest that a good story merits a degree of objectionable content... but before you say something like that, isn't it essential for you to read that specific material first?!
Several people have and haven't had anything bad to say.
Quote:
I don't know why so many of you, after reading the description that was provided, are so optimistic about this story. Clearly the objectionable content includes the use of children.

I hate unwarranted censorship, but when something does a lot more harm than good (if it does any good), I don't blame someone from the government for putting a stop to it. Given what we know, and not taking anything else from other manga we've read before, this manga is certainly being marketed to pedophiles.
It doesn't matter a damn who it's marketed to, who else is attracted to it or what's the age of the characters. I think this puts it about as well as it can ever be: "The answer is always more art; the corollary to that is the answer is never less art. If you start to think that less art is the answer, start over. That’s not the side you want to be on."
Quote:
Aki-Sora is an example of a manga that fought through both Japanese and American censorship, because at its base there was a story you could argue was worth reading.
In other words, it's a manga you like.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3