• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Viz Streams Sailor Moon New English Dub Clip

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:42 pm Reply with quote
That clip sounded good to me. I am hesitant about buying Viz's release of Sailor Moon because it can be cheese and tedious for me to watch, but a good dub can persuade me to make the purchase.
Shiggity

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:44 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
That clip sounded good to me. I am hesitant about buying Viz's release of Sailor Moon because it can be cheese and tedious for me to watch, but a good dub can persuade me to make the purchase.

Yeah same here... if it's not up the butt expensive at Otakon I might pick up the first volume....
MischievousMelody

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Just as I thought, the new Sailor Moon dub is a thousand times better than the old one. Better watch anymore clips that comes my way!
DENelson83

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:51 pm Reply with quote
I am not watching this clip until Viz Media stops disrespecting and offending Canada. Is that clear? Exclamation
veemonjosh

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:55 pm Reply with quote
Cutiebunny wrote:
Hay-ted it.

Both voices were bad. I was hoping they would find someone that sounded more like Mitsuishi did in later seasons, and this was not it.

Not buying the DVDs due to this horrible dub.

Why would they make her sound like she does in the later seasons? You're saying you want her to sound like the character she becomes in the end, rather than the character she is early on. For all we know, Sheh might tweak her performance as the series progresses to match the change in performance that Mitsuishi gave to Usagi.

It sounds like you went into this all set to hate it, and probably weren't even planning to buy the DVDs in the first place.

DENelson83 wrote:
I am not watching this clip until Viz Media stops disrespecting and offending Canada. Is that clear? Exclamation

How are they offending Canada exactly?
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:59 pm Reply with quote
In the first season, Mitsuishi's voice is more grating than in later seasons. Finding someone who could do a similar voice to what Mitsuishi did in the S season would be preferable.

I see no marked improvement, in terms of visual quality, over the remaster Japanese version released years ago. Had they actually put some serious effort into finding voice overs who could do a good job, I might have been inclined to have bought the new version. But, no point in buying it if it's an inferior product.
DENelson83

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:01 pm Reply with quote
veemonjosh wrote:
DENelson83 wrote:

How are they offending Canada exactly?

They are not streaming the show on demand here in Canada like they are in the US, despite having the licence to do so in Canada. The lockout message Canadians get when navigating to NeonAlley.com has not changed one bit since Viz got the SM licence. I and other moonies up here am steamed at being left out of the Moonday party. And don't start talking about Hola this and Unblocker that. We want a legitimate stream!
RedemptionRevenge

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:05 pm Reply with quote
Shiggity wrote:

Yeah same here... if it's not up the butt expensive at Otakon I might pick up the first volume....

Yeah..... Good luck with that.

Cutiebunny wrote:

In the first season, Mitsuishi's voice is more grating than in later seasons. Finding someone who could do a similar voice to what Mitsuishi did in the S season would be preferable.

I see no marked improvement, in terms of visual quality, over the remaster Japanese version released years ago. Had they actually put some serious effort into finding voice overs who could do a good job, I might have been inclined to have bought the new version. But, no point in buying it if it's an inferior product.

I think you are missing the point. One of the reasons to watch a 200 episode series is to hear and see how a character changes throughout the series. Of course Usagi's voice will be grating in the FIRST episode of the FIRST season. She has had 0 shit to deal with.

If Usagi had a more mature voice like she did in S, it would not be true to the original. It's about the journey, not the end.
SynergyMan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:05 pm Reply with quote
Cutiebunny wrote:

So you want tiny Sheh to break her vocal cords? Nice to know that and all, but seriously, that's not the point of a dub. A dub is not a mimic of the Japanese version. A dub is supposed to be the show in another language. It's supposed to capture the original, while having its own flair a different language. Also, the fact that ONE clip=/=the whole dub. You are being very stupid in your statement.
DENelson83

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:09 pm Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:
No, that's "Licensing issues".

How can they have licensing issues when they already have the Canadian licence? This makes no sense.

Viz has the power to end my anger and snottiness right here right now. All they have to do is properly push the original Sailor Moon anime into Canada and onto my screen, without me having to resort to The Pirate Bay or its ilk.

Last edited by DENelson83 on Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
publicenemy333

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:11 pm Reply with quote
I saw the first two episodes at anime expo and while I did think it was good, I always felt something was a little off. Not cause it was bad, it just feels weird hearing a modern dub like this coming out of such an old show like this instead of sounding like, say, Ranma 1/2's dub.

Still, I enjoyed it it, and will probably watch it in english once I get my blu-ray sets. Im happy with how it came out so far Smile
supersqueak

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:11 pm Reply with quote
I guess I am okay with Stephanie Sheh but that Robbie Daymond guy just does not cut it as Mamoru. He is a new comer isn't he? I know they probably wanted some fresh blood by why give such an important role to someone with such little experience?
TheMorry

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:12 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if the blu-ray release will be widescreen (4:3 atleast.) But by the looks of this its not gonna happen. Technicaly it should be possible though, they did it with DBZ and that is from the same time...
RedemptionRevenge

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:14 pm Reply with quote
DENelson83 wrote:
EricJ2 wrote:

How can they have licensing issues when they already have the Canadian licence? This makes no sense.

Viz has the power to end my anger and snottiness right here right now. All they have to do is properly push the original Sailor Moon anime into Canada and onto my screen, without me having to resort to The Pirate Bay or its ilk.

You don't seem to understand. Viz streams all of their releases on Neon Alley, which is now a part of Hulu. They are contractually obligated to do that. Hulu can not stream in Canada because it would cost them a whooooooole lot more money to do so. So, until Viz can work something out, Canada is left out of the lurch. Hey man, I am from Canada, I understand your pain. But this is how the entertainment industry works.
SynergyMan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:16 pm Reply with quote
DENelson83 wrote:
EricJ2 wrote:

Despite having the license in both countries, it is fairly obvious that the companies are more US centric. Given that the US is a much bigger market, it's fairly obvious why the US is emphasized. It's like saying why is Liechtenstein not represented when it comes to Swiss/Austrian affairs.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7