• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Viz Streams Sailor Moon New English Dub Clip

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
supersqueak

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:52 am Reply with quote
zeo1fan wrote:
supersqueak wrote:
I guess I am okay with Stephanie Sheh but that Robbie Daymond guy just does not cut it as Mamoru. He is a new comer isn't he? I know they probably wanted some fresh blood by why give such an important role to someone with such little experience?

Newcomer? These 24 acting credits say differently.

There is nothing really noteworthy there at all and he hasn't been at it all that long. I am not crazy about the dub but everything else seems ok overall. I am not not happy with him in particular though he sounds very generic and lifeless.
WeirDiE_InC

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:39 am Reply with quote
I miss "meatball head" too, but the way he say "bun head" had me bursting out laughing.

Also, Viz will be a guest at the Anirevo convention in Vancouver in August. That gives them a month to give us Canadian an explanation before we can give them hell directly.
Zygarde

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:13 am Reply with quote
Egh. That was bad. That was horrible. Maybe I'm saying this out of nostalgic reasons, but compared to the 90s one, this is just ...bad. This new voice sounds like every other dub that is out now. This new voice actress doesn't lend anything new to the character. Terri Hawkes was great as Usagi.

Listen to it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyMvRDNIHVw Script aside she was so perfect, her voice fit the animation. It was perfect.

I wish they had taken the old cast and just given them the new scripts. Check her out. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJJYo1uT8b0

Makoto's voice actress was so fitting too..too bad she got replaced..

I hope they bring back the old cast for the Spanish version. Which is another dub that was totally perfect.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:40 am Reply with quote
WeirDiE_InC wrote:

I miss "meatball head" too, but the way he say "bun head" had me bursting out laughing.

Could sound like butt-head **uh huh, huh huh**
BringBackUzume

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:52 am Reply with quote
electricpatriot wrote:
Stephanie Sheh is a perfect fit for Usagi.

I agree. I didn't hear anything wrong. She played the scene well and so I think the ADR director seems to know what they're doing.
kevinx59

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:13 am Reply with quote
I've never seen the original (dub or sub) , but I think this dub sounds good. (I think Sheh's a great VA, so maybe some bias there) . the line about the "purple pleated pants" had me cracking up. Probably won't be buying this, but I may check out the movies some day (and Crystal).
誤称

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:19 am Reply with quote
Cutiebunny wrote:
Hay-ted it.

Both voices were bad. I was hoping they would find someone that sounded more like Mitsuishi did in later seasons, and this was not it.

Not buying the DVDs due to this horrible dub.

Yeah, if you wanted her to sound like Mitsuishi, just switch to the Japanese track. Problem solved.

You're just a hater.
Haterater

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:49 am Reply with quote
Not to mention that Naoko Takeuchi approved of all the dub voices, so this is what she wanted the voices to be like.
zeo1fan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:57 am Reply with quote
BringBackUzume wrote:
electricpatriot wrote:
Stephanie Sheh is a perfect fit for Usagi.

I agree. I didn't hear anything wrong. She played the scene well and so I think the ADR director seems to know what they're doing.

A lot of the haters seem to be caught up in their nostalgia for the bad, old dub.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:59 am Reply with quote
Haterater wrote:
Not to mention that Naoko Takeuchi approved of all the dub voices, so this is what she wanted the voices to be like.
Unless she speaks fluent English that's not a very good recommendation. Laughing

One can not expect so much out of so little a teaser. If that's from the first episode then it's fine by me as I know the actors will bed in eventually. They must be well aware of the shoes they have to fill and I can hear the strain in trying to fill them. Compared to the DIC dub it's a great improvement. I much preferred Bunhead as "meatball head" was too much like "meat head", much too rude.
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:51 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Haterater wrote:
Unless she speaks fluent English that's not a very good recommendation. Laughing

I agree with this statement. This isn't an uncommon practice between Japanese and American companies. I think this has also been done for Bleach, Naruto, Attack on TItan, etc.

It reminds me of how people say that it "sounds better" in Japanese, but has no freaking clue what they're saying without use of subtitles.

Anyway, I've decided not to compare the old dub to the new one. I find it extremely pointless, honestly. The circumstances surrounding this dub and the fact that it's almost 20 years old doesn't seem fair to justify the old vs the new one. I'm treating the new one as if the old one did not exist. It doesn't mean I detest the old dub.

And about that "sounding like a 14 year old"

Not all 14 year old girls are high pitched and obnoxious sounding. For Usagi, yes. But, I think the statement is odd to say.
merr

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:09 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Haterater wrote:

Yeah, it's not exactly a ringing endorsement. Japanese approvals gave us the Love Hina dub, after all.

Still, I have faith this time around. Even if she can't understand the language, Naoko can probably decide whether the tone of voice is right. Japanese approvals for actors can be iffy when they choose people who can't act (or can't act the particular character, at least), but that's not an issue here. Stephanie Sheh has been in the business for 10 years and knows what she's doing. She plays characters like Usagi all the time.

Mamoru's VA is less experienced, but based on interviews, it sounds like Viz and the ADR team were pushing for him more than Japan was.
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:30 pm Reply with quote
So far, so good, I guess. It's just too hard to get too worked up in either direction when the footage was that short. At least the quality of the dub might be pointing in the right direction…
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Clyde_Cash

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:35 pm Reply with quote
Chrno2

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:11 pm Reply with quote
I'd say it's ok. Makes me feel like I'm watching the old dub, that I barely even know.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7