• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Viz Streams Sailor Moon New English Dub Clip

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gravediggernalk
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:21 pm Reply with quote
I enjoy "dumpling head", but "bun head" sounds great to me.

I like Sheh's voice in the clip but I feel that Tuxedo Mask's voice should be a little bit more . . . "smooth". Of course, It's hard to assess just from such a small clip, and I think that Daymond did deliver the lines well.

I'm going to pre-order the BD set asap, because it's too hard to miss.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:54 pm Reply with quote
Having never seen a full SM episode, I will watch it Cherami Leigh plays Lucy in FT and Lucy is 1 of my fave anime babes.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:14 pm Reply with quote
About a dozen posts deleted for over-quoting. And 2 users placed on Moderation for it.

Stop over-quoting.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:05 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
About a dozen posts deleted for over-quoting. And 2 users placed on Moderation for it.

Stop over-quoting.

(You pulled one of mine, and I don't even know what "Over-quoting" IS! Shocked )
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:02 pm Reply with quote
Over-quoting is overlooked by pretty much everybody.

It's not something that can be detrimental to the foums, per se, like a bad attitude or soapboxing. But it's still in the rules, and it's annoying to look at.

That's why I, at least, leave a link when addressing it.

Repeat violators will now be scrutinized via Moderation if I catch them.
Quark

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:09 pm Reply with quote
It actually doesn't sound too bad (this coming from the lady who NEVER watches dubs) but both times I watched it, I swear Mamoru is saying 'Butthead' instead of 'Bunhead'.
The line about his purple pleated pants was pretty funny.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:34 pm Reply with quote
I watched the original English dub of "Sailor Moon" and the new version sounded somewhat like the old version,which I thought wasn't too bad. Honestly,I thought that "meatball head" was far more descriptive of Serena (yes,I'm using the names from the DIC dub) than "bunhead." But hey,that's just me.
jr240483

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:00 am Reply with quote
merr wrote:
jr0904 wrote:
and from this clip alone, i'd say some of those users in the forums which i have a feeling their die hard fans of miss seph definitely have a reason to be concerned of the vocal chord might get strained. sure i hope it don't happen, but fate can be a real bitch at times.hopefully it wont bite this VA where it hurts.

You really have no idea what you're talking about. Sheh isn't straining her voice with this role. She's not pitching it up at all. It's basically her speaking voice with a younger intonation. She isn't screaming or screeching, either. This is nothing like Excel Saga, which was only a problem because ADV insisted on too tight a schedule for a role that consisted of nothing but screaming.

And, really, you think she's over booked? Based on what? She's an actress. This is her job.

one note. for one thing i have watching anime mainly english dubs since the 80's, so yea i do know what i am talking about. also the voicing does sound strained at times. sure its not screaming , but it still sounds like its being forced.

also she is not those hollywood actress either if that is what your applying. sure its their jobs, but i am not the only one in the forums who thinks she might be taking on too many voicing commitments. especially when she is voicing in so many other series in LA.

look noob, i got no problem with the casting, the thing i do have is overtaxing someone that might be at their limit. especially since none of us are ADR staff members or part of the industry and really dont know how many voice overs a VA does in a month let alone a day.

Mohawk52 wrote:
Haterater wrote:
Not to mention that Naoko Takeuchi approved of all the dub voices, so this is what she wanted the voices to be like.
Unless she speaks fluent English that's not a very good recommendation. Laughing

One can not expect so much out of so little a teaser. If that's from the first episode then it's fine by me as I know the actors will bed in eventually. They must be well aware of the shoes they have to fill and I can hear the strain in trying to fill them. Compared to the DIC dub it's a great improvement. I much preferred Bunhead as "meatball head" was too much like "meat head", much too rude.

Though it was funny as hell and it perfectally fitted usagi's hairstyle. bunhead is more fitted for chibiusa.

Also Naoko is the author so any recommendation by the series creator is well warranted.

Akamastu also did this too for the dub version for negima too and i dont think he can speak english either. Nor is it known that he can, and from that CNN newscast , it looks like he doesnt.

However you do have a point cause we dont know if she can speak english. hell the only one i know in the japaneese anime industry that can speak both japaneese and english is Imari Jimja ( VA for Minmay for the macross series ) but if the creator approves, then it should be ok for die hard moonie fans.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
SynergyMan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:56 am Reply with quote
It does matter if a Japanese person is involved in a dub. A lot of them are bad, because a lot of them are not versed in how English dubs work. Naoko being the creator means nothing, though the dub is looking good so far.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7