• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What does Sailor Moon mean to you? - Winners

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:20 pm Reply with quote
KrisRix wrote:
Aaaand another Honorable Mention was also up for Audience Vote... :/

Huh, where?

Oh, I see it.

I guess the honorable mentions only go to the audience favorite thing?

This is so confusing. I thought it was meant for people who did not reach any of those other categories.
KrisRix

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:26 pm Reply with quote
tygerchickchibi wrote:
KrisRix wrote:

Huh, where?

Oh, I see it.

I guess the honorable mentions only go to the audience favorite thing?

This is so confusing. I thought it was meant for people who did not reach any of those other categories.

Yeah, exactly. That's what the contest said, at least.
So then you have to wonder if Evan and Brianna both could have won twice? Which is kind of messed up.
Or were all the votes for them left uncounted, since they were up for Honorable Mention and mistakenly put on the Vote list?
If the latter is true, then everyone who voted for them had their votes tossed aside because of messy organization...
Emma Iveli

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:32 pm Reply with quote
I think they should have handled this contest a little better. I mean if they wanted to showcase everyone, they should have just done that, then come up with a much smaller group of finalists.

If they ever host a similar contest they better get their act together... because rhis was just a huge mess...
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:38 pm Reply with quote
Glad to see Princess Mentality Cosplay won the Audience Favorite! I was gunning for her or single-Luna-Evan. Smile
sunflower

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:27 pm Reply with quote
Hey ANN! I really wanted the little girls from Kashmir to win, because I don't think they'd have much chance to get this kind of stuff anywhere. (This isn't meant to take away from those who did win, because they had great entries.) But I was wondering if there was some way for me to sponsor having at least something sent to them? You have the address, I have cash. Let me know.
Sailor Star Dust

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:50 pm Reply with quote
Asher was my pick for Audience Favorite, but the winners were solid choices. Can't wait to see who the Grand Prize winner is.

Congrats to everybody!

I agree it'd be great to have something nice for those girls in Kashmir...Maybe a GoFundMe or Kickstarter of some kind could help?
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:16 pm Reply with quote
KrisRix wrote:

Did you notice how that honorable mention was announced after the audience favorite voting was finished?

Apparently I made a mistake with one, but no one was going to win two prizes...

The same thing should have happened with Evan's Honorable Mention. I should have waited for the audience favourite to be announced before announcing his HM. Had he won Audience Favorite, we would have selected a different HM.

Ultimately it made zero difference, and it would have made zero difference had he won.

But it is still annoying that I didn't notice he was a candidate for Audience Favorite when I posted his HM.

-t
Rainsan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:40 pm Reply with quote
sunflower wrote:
Hey ANN! I really wanted the little girls from Kashmir to win, because I don't think they'd have much chance to get this kind of stuff anywhere. (This isn't meant to take away from those who did win, because they had great entries.) But I was wondering if there was some way for me to sponsor having at least something sent to them? You have the address, I have cash. Let me know.

They had my vote for the same reason youre saying. I was hoping maybe since there were 'eight' winners or what they thought were eight and now its been corrected to seven maybe they have something extra around to be able to send them something.

On a side note im so glad Brianna got something, hers was rly awesome art. =)
Evan M

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:07 pm Reply with quote
Single-Luna Evan here. Although I didn't win, I wanna say again how touched I was by all of your votes. Everyone's entries were so impressive! I really don't have a collection, or costumes... just a story (that I found pretty difficult to shoehorn in to so few characters). It means so much to me that I made it as far as I did. Congratulations to all the winners! I'll be watching Crystal alongside all of you in spirit. Smile
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:13 pm Reply with quote
sunflower wrote:

I actually don't have the address. We didn't collect addresses with submissions for this contest.

If you want to do this, I'll ask them for their address.

PS: I did confirm that the submission came from the region.
moonlightheroine

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:02 pm Reply with quote
sunflower wrote:

If you can get the address, I'd totally pitch in too! Especially since Tempest confirmed it did come from the region.
princessology

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:16 pm Reply with quote
Hi everyone! I'm Princess Mentality Cosplay, and I just wanted to let you all know how deeply touched I am by...well...all of this, haha. There were so many incredible stories and pictures, and I felt truly honored to be among them and able to talk about how Sailor Moon has affected my life. I never in a thousand years would have thought I'd be able to land among the finalists, much less actually win the Audience's Favorite. Especially since there were so many deserving entries! I don't know if I have the words to express how much this means to me. Sailor Moon has been an inextricable part of who I am for over half of my life. It's seen me through middle school, high school, college, and now adulthood. I would be a completely different person if it weren't for the lessons it taught me about love, friendship, determination and - cheesy as it sounds - standing up for yourself, and what you believe in. I think the fact that there were so many entries with so many passionate stories really speaks to the timeless magic of Sailor Moon. The fact that it still holds such a special place all of our hearts even after having been away for this long is incredible. I really hope that the re-release and the reboot help inspire a whole new generation of fans to fall in love with this clumsy meatball head the same way we all did once upon a time <3

Anyway, thank you all again - this means more to me than I even know how to express!

- Chaka
sunflower

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:56 pm Reply with quote
Tempest wrote:
sunflower wrote:

I actually don't have the address. We didn't collect addresses with submissions for this contest.

If you want to do this, I'll ask them for their address.

PS: I did confirm that the submission came from the region.

That would be great! Do you want me to get money together to give you then you could pick things out and send it to them as another "fan prize" (so you don't have to give their address out to a stranger?) Or shall I gather merchandise to have it shipped to them and just get the address from you?

PS I find myself wondering if they have a DVD player (since there is no computer in their village) and wonder if manga would be more appropriate, and if English language would be OK or not?

EDIT: Several people seem interested in this. Very cool! What might be best is to make a list of Sailor Moon items, post them and have people claim them, then buy and ship them to a central location from which they could be shipped to Kashmir. That could be ANN (with us paying for shipping), or it could be me.

(I have no idea if any of that merchandise given for prizes can be purchased, or if we'd have to apply to Viz to sell it to us?)

Please feel free to PM me about this if anyone has any thoughts on it. Smile

Last edited by sunflower on Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:28 am; edited 1 time in total
dr ochanomizu

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:16 pm Reply with quote
I second sunflower’s suggestion; I voted for her in the preliminaries. There were so many compelling stories behind the Sailormoon series, I wasn’t sure if their circumstances were exaggerated or embellished for the contest. For the final I ended up voting for Rin Gonzalez, who had to overcome extra ordinary childhood experiences.

On the other hand, I agree with several people, who mentioned one of the winners picked by Viz had somewhat of a stereotyped narrative to fit the image the Sailormoon story.
Swirlyd

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:26 am Reply with quote
This group is restoring my faith in humanity. I totally mean it, I was touched by that story too (not to take away from any of the winners).

I'm not in a position to give right now but I could scout out some fairly priced merchandise if that was needed. I've had luck with officially licensed products on amazon. The cosmic locket is available as a necklace for less than $15 when shipping is accounted for.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5