• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Mobile Suit Gundam UC DVD/Blu-ray Question

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Felis

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 11:14 am Reply with quote
So I was looking at the Blu-ray and DVD releases of Mobile Suit Gundam UC on Right Stuf and noticed that the run times of the volume 7 Blu-ray and recently released part 4 DVD don't match. The Blu-ray is 120 minutes and the DVD is 90 minutes. As far as I can tell, the content is identical. Is that a mistake in the listing or was something not included on the DVD?
lem

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 12:22 pm Reply with quote
It shows that it (Part 4) contains only Episode 7.

Where Dvd Parts 1,2, & 3 each include two episodes...

so that might explain the difference in run time? (I don't own the dvds for this one).
Felis

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 12:59 pm Reply with quote
No that doesn't explain the difference. The part 4 DVD should have all of the content from just the volume 7 blu-ray (meaning just episode 7 and the extras). The only difference between the 2 being that the DVD version has less subtitle options. If that is the case the run times should be the same, but they are not.

At this point I am just assuming that it is a mistake in one the listings on Right Stuf. I want to save some money and just get the much cheaper DVD versions so I wanted to know before I bought them.
Dessa

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:43 pm Reply with quote
Both the BD and the DVD contain episode 7 and episode EX (listed as a special feature), according to both TSRI and Amazon. The only difference I saw, is that the BD lists "character & mecha highlights" and the DVD only lists "character highlights". I highly doubt that the mecha highlights are a half hour's worth of material.

Later today, I'll see if I can check out my roommate's DVD 4, to see if there's a discrepancy here.

[edit]
Okay, we have possible explanation. On the back of the DVD, it says "Approx. 90 min + 33 Min. Extra".

Now, if someone has the BD, and can tell us if the time separates the feature and extras, that would solve the conundrum for us.
lem

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 2:47 pm Reply with quote
blu-ray details listed on the Vol 7/episode 7"Over the Rainbow" case:

90 min. + Bonus 33 min

Special Features
1. ep EX "One Hundred Years of Solitude"/ 2. Story So Far / 3. Promotional Clip 01/ 4. Promotional Clip 02/ 5. TV Commercials/ 6. Highlights: Angelo Sauper & Rozen Zulu/ 7. Highlights: Nahal Argama's Crew * Special Features 3-7 are from episode 6
Felis

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 3:07 pm Reply with quote
Ok so the reason for the difference is because of the 33 minute extra episode EX. Thanks for looking into it.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 3:32 pm Reply with quote
I've got a semi-related question about the DVDs as well. Is the video quality decent? I ask this because I've watched some of the standard edition DVDs from Aniplex for shows like SAO, Blue Exorcist and Kill la Kill, and the video quality was absolutely horrid. It has me convinced that Aniplex is purposefully making the DVDs look bad in order to scare people into buying the expensive blurays.

I would hope Bandai Visual wouldn't do the same thing with their Unicorn DVDs, but I'm still apprehensive nonetheless. So can someone please tell me, do the DVDs look good? Sad
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 6:02 pm Reply with quote
The ones I used to have looked fine. I sold them and upgraded to Blu-ray for this show though so I can't check them.
lem

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 6:31 pm Reply with quote
Felis wrote:
Ok so the reason for the difference is because of the 33 minute extra episode EX. Thanks for looking into it.

No prob.
The EX episode is 25 minutes, 2 seconds (at least that what it shows when I play it on my old ps3),
For the remainder of that "extras" time the "Story so far" @ 1 min 45 seconds isn't subtitled.
Promo 1 - 44 seconds/Japanese only
Promo 2 - 1 min 54 w/ English audio option, (no subtitles for the Japanese choice)
The commercials - 49 seconds (Japanese only)
The two episode 6 highlights - 1 min 28 & 1 min 42, (w/English subtitle option)
Staff Credits can be read in Japanese, English or French.

...and now I'm gonna go look for the soundtrack that at least includes the music they used on the Sauper & Zulu highlights. Smile
Felis

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:00 pm Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:
I've got a semi-related question about the DVDs as well. Is the video quality decent?

These DVDs aren't that expensive, especially compared to Aniplex, so I wouldn't worry about it that much. These releases would need to have really bad video quality to keep me from getting them. Considering that Right Stuf is releasing these, I doubt that is the case. There DVDs always look excellent.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:17 am Reply with quote
Dunno about the rest, but the MadoMagi DVDs Aniplex released stateside looked pretty darn good. I've heard some theories that Bandai Visual intentionally messed with the video quality of the domestic Gundam UC Blu-ray discs, but I've yet to see an actual comparison of the two releases.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1