• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Robotech Academy Kickstarter Adds "Enemy Spy" Tier For Haters

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:05 pm Reply with quote
Or as noted before, some might donate, hate, then pull said donation.

It just shows how desperate they are to keep the rights to Macross hostage.
reanimator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:19 pm Reply with quote
I'm rolling my eyes on Harmony Gold trying to raise $500,000 for 24 minute pilot animation made from a place only-god-knows-where. I'm thinking that Japanese can make far better animation with that budget.

I don't care how they make their new Robotech animation, but they should leave Macross out. Period. I understand that they blocked out Macross sequels in the U.S. for sake of preserving Robotech franchise, but possible use of any Macross material for their new Robotech pilot is an insult to original creators of Macross franchise in my opinion.

I can't say much how the pilot animation should look. Mainstream are audience no matter what and they should get what they paid for. Still, I have a feeling that it won't look good as Japanese counterparts even HG touts computer graphics and etc. In animation, having the right people makes or breaks the show.

Anyone who feels really strongly about this "abomination" ought to tell Thomas Romain at Satelight via Twitter and Google +. Maybe he could pass the word to Shoji Kawamori whom I hope to pass the word to Big West.
gravediggernalk
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:27 pm Reply with quote
Yep. HGUSA hates Macross, along with all of the other series they've licensed. That's why they let AnimEigo remaster Macross and ADV dub it, along with releasing Calvary Southern Cross and MOSPEADA. Wait a minute . . . Now, I don't like the way that Harmony Gold has handled the licenses that they have (and by that, I mean how they haven't done anything with them with the few but notable exceptions) but I see no reason for everyone to go into fits over this. So what? They made a joke about how angry people get about how they've handled their properties? Harmony Gold trolled hard, and will probably make a a dollar or two from it, meaning they won. Good, that means HGUSA has a sense of humor.

HGUSA spent the better part of the '00s counting their shekels from AnimEigo and ADV releasing SDF Macross, Robotech, Southern Cross, and MOSPEADA. And now? Now they're trying to fund a story driven cartoon with an overarching plot . . . ya' know, one of the aspects of Japanese animation that attracted a good chunk of anime fans? I'm interested in seeing where this goes.

Last edited by gravediggernalk on Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:27 pm Reply with quote
reanimator wrote:
I'm rolling my eyes on Harmony Gold trying to raise $500,000 for 24 minute pilot animation made from a place only-god-knows-where. I'm thinking that Japanese can make far better animation with that budget.

You're joking right? $500k in 24 minutes would be anime movie quality.
ajr

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:34 pm Reply with quote
Well, I like that they've at least got a sense of humor about it all.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:46 pm Reply with quote
Guys, you realise it's a joke way to have a $2 pledge?

Don't you?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:54 pm Reply with quote
HG is counting on the rage of the Macross community to cross the 500 000 $ goal. Hey 1$ here, 2$ there and voila' half a million bucks to those suckers and the rest are none the wiser. Now who's dumb ? HG or those that hate them with a passion ? Twisted Evil
nargun

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:00 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
reanimator wrote:

Well, only because anime companies have experience at pretty extreme cost-control. Doing things cheaply requires institutional knowledge, which HG doesn't have any more. [One of the key elements of cost-control is cutting back on redundant double-checking: this requires having staff that are reliable and work well together: HG is virtually out of the video production game entirely, and doesn't have the in-house knowledge to do this.]

Also, it's the sort of project that'll sit like a turd on the CV of everyone involved: sure, you'll get the staff, but you'll have to pay them more to overcome this.

... also there's the possibility that how-should-I-say-this not all the money raised might be dedicated to producing only the best-quality animation, there might be a perception or belief that some of the administrative and coordination work might be more fitting of proper and due recompense.
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:01 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
reanimator wrote:

You know what, if HG actually paid someone like Syd Mead (and better hurry 'cause the guy isn't getter any younger) to come up with original mecha designs, and more generally paid real professionals to come up with good looking solutions to mecha and characters some and I underline some of that money might be justified.
As it stands, HG where Robotech is concerned has an amateurish staff if even that, who can only put out fanfic quality stories and mecha designs out there.
And for these people even 5000 $ is 4999 $ too much.
ShinRPGamer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:02 am Reply with quote
Cptn_Taylor wrote:
HG is counting on the rage of the Macross community to cross the 500 000 $ goal. Hey 1$ here, 2$ there and voila' half a million bucks to those suckers and the rest are none the wiser. Now who's dumb ? HG or those that hate them with a passion ? Twisted Evil

Considering that the projected pledge amount is falling rapidly, I'm going to say HG.
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:03 am Reply with quote
ShinRPGamer wrote:
Cptn_Taylor wrote:

Considering that the projected pledge amount is falling rapidly, I'm going to say HG.

Wait until the last day before stating the obvious. Stranger things have happened with kickstarter campaigns.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:12 am Reply with quote
Cptn_Taylor wrote:
As it stands, HG where Robotech is concerned has an amateurish staff if even that, who can only put out fanfic quality stories and mecha designs out there.

I doubt their CG animation has gotten any better – Shadow Chronicles looked worse than Macross Zero's first epiosde which had come out five years earlier. And even in 2015 I bet they can't improve upon it. All of this post-Mospeada stuff has been fanfiction grade quality writing at best.

The most effective thing the Macross community can do is ignore this campaign, we shouldn't even be commenting on this news article. Why would anyone pay them for the privilege to uselessly whine on their hugbox Kickstarter comments?
stararnold

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:00 am Reply with quote
Cptn_Taylor wrote:
The people who hate Harmony Gold are dumb for choosing the wrong place to express their hatred for Harmony Gold and Robotech since the Robotech Academy kickstarter page is meant to target people who want to help HG reach its goal. If some people hate Robotech, can they at least don't try to crush the dreams of those who want to see more Robotech? After all, nobody is forcing anybody to watch what they don't want to watch. In a way, Harmony Gold is punishing the Harmony Gold haters for their selfishness with its fining tactics.

Sure I like the Super Dimension Fortress Macross and Macross Plus, but I also like Robotech, and I will be happy if more giant robot shows get to air on North American television, especially after the disappearance of number that used to air there like say the Gundam series.
Marzan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:10 am Reply with quote
Even if they reach the magical number, watch them spend half a decade in development hell before getting anything done. The lack of fresh ideas at HG is breathtaking.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:21 am Reply with quote
Marzan wrote:
Even if they reach the magical number, watch them spend half a decade in development hell before getting anything done. The lack of fresh ideas at HG is breathtaking.

That's also aside from it also looking like crap, having a terrible script, or both. Like that new Appleseed movie looks passable, but it's so uninteresting. That HG can't even fund the pilot on their own is telling how desperate they are to be relevant again but not actually taking on any risk to do so.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5