• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Robotech Academy Kickstarter Adds "Enemy Spy" Tier For Haters

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GekiRed

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:47 am Reply with quote
gravediggernalk wrote:
Yep. HGUSA hates Macross, along with all of the other series they've licensed. That's why they let AnimEigo remaster Macross and ADV dub it, along with releasing Calvary Southern Cross and MOSPEADA. Wait a minute . . . Now, I don't like the way that Harmony Gold has handled the licenses that they have (and by that, I mean how they haven't done anything with them with the few but notable exceptions) but I see no reason for everyone to go into fits over this. So what? They made a joke about how angry people get about how they've handled their properties? Harmony Gold trolled hard, and will probably make a a dollar or two from it, meaning they won. Good, that means HGUSA has a sense of humor.

HGUSA spent the better part of the '00s counting their shekels from AnimEigo and ADV releasing SDF Macross, Robotech, Southern Cross, and MOSPEADA. And now? Now they're trying to fund a story driven cartoon with an overarching plot . . . ya' know, one of the aspects of Japanese animation that attracted a good chunk of anime fans? I'm interested in seeing where this goes.

I agree with you there, my friend!

I'm one of those who actually likes adaptations like Robotech, BOTP and Teknoman and doesn't throw a hissy fit or a major tantrum like a lot of the regulars who post in the forums here.

It's people like these who make us genuine fans look bad and I'm of the belief that they should either chill out a bit or get a life...
Panon

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:47 am Reply with quote
It's pretty funny how tone deaf their FAQ is with that "Support us because we've successfully kept Macross locked down for 30 years" bit. Winning hearts and minds.

But other than that, kind of wish ANN didn't free give advertising to this.
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:12 am Reply with quote
GekiRed wrote:

I'm one of those who actually likes adaptations like Robotech, BOTP and Teknoman and doesn't throw a hissy fit or a major tantrum like a lot of the regulars who post in the forums here.

It's people like these who make us genuine fans look bad and I'm of the belief that they should either chill out a bit or get a life...

Live and let live. If that were HG's life philosophy we wouldn't even have this discussion. Since HG deluded clinging to Robotech is what makes it impossible to legitimately bring any Macross (DYRL, Macross II, Macross Frontier, Macross 7, Macross Zero + video games, toys etc..) in the US and the rest of the world hell yeah Macross fans are justified in their absolute hatred of this shit company.
GekiRed

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:10 am Reply with quote
Cptn_Taylor wrote:
GekiRed wrote:

Live and let live. If that were HG's life philosophy we wouldn't even have this discussion. Since HG deluded clinging to Robotech is what makes it impossible to legitimately bring any Macross (DYRL, Macross II, Macross Frontier, Macross 7, Macross Zero + video games, toys etc..) in the US and the rest of the world hell yeah Macross fans are justified in their absolute hatred of this shit company.

I know where you're coming from and yeah, HG do come across as being dicks a lot of the time, but at the same time, a lot of Macross fans come across as being a bit too rabid in their hatred of Robotech even though if it hasn't been for the show, Macross wouldn't be as well known as it is today outside Japan.
NottJim

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:22 am Reply with quote
Well unless they step it up it looks like they're not going to meet their funding target anyway.

enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:51 am Reply with quote
$500k is too high
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:01 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
$500k is too high

I have the definite impression this kickstarter is a scam. HG just put the 500 000 $ arbitrarily not thinking for one moment it would be reached. They use it as a testing ground to see how much "potential" money they can suck off their deluded fans. Then when the campaign fails they just open a new one with the new corrected goal sure to reach it.
Of course they would then have to explain how the pilot episode can be done with 150 000 $ when 500 000 $ was never attained in the first place.
one.night.bkk

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:17 am Reply with quote
I signed up to post on ANN after over 10 years because of this...

So while I respect HG for creating Robotech way back when, and reigning in some of the canon in the 2000s, their attitude toward Macross in general has been pretty bad. We've all gone over the issues with the various series and movies (and video games!) that never got released over here, but HG royally screwed a completely different franchise as well... Battletech. Mechwarrior to some of you. They rolled over FASA (now Catalyst Game Labs) who had licensed directly from Japan most of the mech designs to use in their games. Needless to say, it's made a lot of fans angry that these "Unseen" designs can't show up in books or games anymore, even anniversary books.

HG is like the kid no one likes who has the toys everyone wants, but won't share them. Then they have the audacity to act like the victim, when if they just shared with everyone, we could all just get along.
EyeOfPain

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:52 am Reply with quote
In case anyone pledged and didn't know, this is who you're giving your money to.

Oh, and most of HG's business these days is in real estate.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:57 am Reply with quote
GekiRed wrote:
gravediggernalk wrote:
Yep. HGUSA hates Macross, along with all of the other series they've licensed. That's why they let AnimEigo remaster Macross and ADV dub it, along with releasing Calvary Southern Cross and MOSPEADA. Wait a minute . . . Now, I don't like the way that Harmony Gold has handled the licenses that they have (and by that, I mean how they haven't done anything with them with the few but notable exceptions) but I see no reason for everyone to go into fits over this. So what? They made a joke about how angry people get about how they've handled their properties? Harmony Gold trolled hard, and will probably make a a dollar or two from it, meaning they won. Good, that means HGUSA has a sense of humor.

HGUSA spent the better part of the '00s counting their shekels from AnimEigo and ADV releasing SDF Macross, Robotech, Southern Cross, and MOSPEADA. And now? Now they're trying to fund a story driven cartoon with an overarching plot . . . ya' know, one of the aspects of Japanese animation that attracted a good chunk of anime fans? I'm interested in seeing where this goes.

Or you know, the real estate company could stop being a copyright troll with the Macross franchise filing CAD letters against anyone who even mentions the name Macross online, and let someone release Frontier. Sandy Frank (He's the source of all our pain!) was never this bad with Gatchaman and didn't try anything to lock up the franchise after the rights lapsed.
Treiz

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:46 am Reply with quote
Quote:
and let someone release Frontier.

Which company actually wants to release Frontier? The last time Macross properties were released in the US they didn't sell, and went out of print. I'd like to know why Macross fans in the US cling so doggedly to the delusion that there is some great untapped market in the US for Macross properties despite utter lack of sales of the products that were released here.
isahackjob

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:08 am Reply with quote
Treiz wrote:
Quote:
and let someone release Frontier.

Which company actually wants to release Frontier? The last time Macross properties were released in the US they didn't sell, and went out of print. I'd like to know why Macross fans in the US cling so doggedly to the delusion that there is some great untapped market in the US for Macross properties despite utter lack of sales of the products that were released here.

So your saying a US release of DYRL would not sell? Have you had your head checked recently?
Wrangler

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:12 am Reply with quote
How in the world are they going to afford single animation for $500k?? They having corp. sponsors matching funds or something?

Peronsally, not big fan of the current HG admin. Shadow Chronicals was their last and best effort they did. Live Love thing was terrible hacked up mishmash of old footage and some new ones.

Maybe they don't have money anymore to produce big stuff anymore. *shrugs* Kickstarter should used different story or something. Academy / school thing boring as heck. If they were Kickstarting a SEQUEL to Shadow Chronicles, maybe it would do better.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:06 pm Reply with quote
isahackjob wrote:
Treiz wrote:

So your saying a US release of DYRL would not sell? Have you had your head checked recently?

And I can understand Macross II not selling too great, it's not really a good OVA, but Plus was always considered a big hit, and didn't ADV's Macross set sell out? What other Macross is there in the West that didn't sell? What is this "the last time" mentioned? 7, Zero, and Frontier were never available and calling Clash of Bionoids "DYRL" is like calling Warriors of the Wind "Nausicaa." I think he's manufacturing falsities that Macross fandom is a delusion in spite of Frontier being a pretty well followed and well liked show along with its movies re-imaginings. If any old garbage like Deadman Wonderland as a random example can get a release in the US, why not Frontier? The only barrier I could imagine, aside from possible music rights issues (and the Big West v. Tatsunoko thing is long resolved), is that they know Macross has some sway and they'd charge a hefty amount for a license, much like what's keeping LoGH back.

I also see Treiz on the Kickstarter comments as a supporter, so I'll just take his comments for grains of salt.
ZeetherKID77

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:41 pm Reply with quote
one.night.bkk wrote:
I signed up to post on ANN after over 10 years because of this...

So while I respect HG for creating Robotech way back when, and reigning in some of the canon in the 2000s, their attitude toward Macross in general has been pretty bad. We've all gone over the issues with the various series and movies (and video games!) that never got released over here, but HG royally screwed a completely different franchise as well... Battletech. Mechwarrior to some of you. They rolled over FASA (now Catalyst Game Labs) who had licensed directly from Japan most of the mech designs to use in their games. Needless to say, it's made a lot of fans angry that these "Unseen" designs can't show up in books or games anymore, even anniversary books.

HG is like the kid no one likes who has the toys everyone wants, but won't share them. Then they have the audacity to act like the victim, when if they just shared with everyone, we could all just get along.

The FASA thing was because the company that gave them the Macross illustrations allegedly didn't get them in a legal way. Still doesn't change how terrible HG is though.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5