• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Frozen Blu-ray's 1st Day in Japan Tops Evangelion's All-Time Sales Record

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:18 pm Reply with quote
Both Anna and Elsa have giant anime eyes. Compare them to any other disney character. They are bigger than usual for a princess.

Couldn't tell you why but it might have to do with the breaks in the formula and that Disney predictability.

Maybe sisterly Love? A bit of Yuki-Yuri? Women power? 2 princesses on screen?

I really enjoyed it, the story was mediocre but the graphics were amazing which might be it's redeeming quality. It was certainly worth the gamble. Not like that epidemic (Disney) needs any more success.
supersqueak

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:54 pm Reply with quote
I love Frozen so it's success here and it's mega success in Japan makes me happy. I always hoped Disney would go back to its roots and it really has the last couple of years. I do want them to try new things but I hope they don't stray too far from what makes them great.
TonyTonyChopper

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:48 am Reply with quote
Sucks to me no matter what anyone says i don't give a dammn about those stupid movies.
Come on Japan One Piece,Evangelion and ghibli movies should make those numbers.
Stupid pixar it's not that i din't knew it was popular in Japan but the Japanese DVD market has always been rather weak compared to other media and than this happens ....
I'm disappointed in the country of my dreams.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:34 am Reply with quote
gravediggernalk wrote:

I still don't see why people love this movie so much. Yeah, it's the best movie Disney has put out in a long time, but a slightly-above average movie in a sea of crap and almost watchable doesn't make it any better.

Ya never know what can capture people's imaginations. Same with anime. Sometimes it's just the songs; sometimes it's just the waifus (ex: many anime have crap stories but have many fans anyways simply due to waifus they've fallen in love with).

But I think with Frozen it's the songs that capture people's imaginations - people just like to sing their songs. For example, the Japanese version of the song "For The First Time In Forever" simply re-sang in a different J-dialect could easily garner over a million views. Now here's a knowledge check how well do ya think ya know the Japanese language - can ya tell which one is Osaka-ben and which one is Hakata-ben? Smile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhbwi861fBo
vs.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9L_M5B8lYKg

angelmcazares wrote:
I think this also reflects the fact that anime in Japan is also a niche hobby. Anime disc sales can be toppled by more mainstream media, like popular Western movies.

I am not trying to dis anime. I am just saying that anime is not as gigantic in Japan as we might want to believe.

Otaku tend to be the home video buyers though. Unlike America, Japan's regular people aren't typically regular home video consumers. (That's why Japan's home video market is so much smaller than America's.)

Here's Japan's 2013 top-selling Blu-rays and DVDs.

TonyTonyChopper wrote:

Sucks to me no matter what anyone says i don't give a dammn about those stupid movies.
Come on Japan One Piece,Evangelion and ghibli movies should make those numbers.
Stupid pixar it's not that i din't knew it was popular in Japan but the Japanese DVD market has always been rather weak compared to other media and than this happens ....
I'm disappointed in the country of my dreams.

So what if Japanese have their own tastes. Would ya throw a fit if the Japanese are into an anime that ya don't like?
Ryuhei

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:45 am Reply with quote
Well, it´s a BD+DVD combo release, so the number is much bigger than separate releases. A BD-only release would have not sold as much as the latest Evangelion BD movies did, at all.

Also, the movie was also a much-bigger than-expected mega-hit in the US, so I don´t know why people overthink about the reasons it´s been successful in Japan: Because of big eyes? sisterly Love? "Yuki-Yuri"? I don´t think so. What are the reasons for its big success in the US then, those ones? No. Just check what US analysts say about the success, the reasons for it in this case are probably very similar in the US and in Japan.
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:11 am Reply with quote
The basic reality is this : kids around the world are the same. A japanese kid is no different than an american kid, or a french kid or an indian kid. Disney knows very well how to cater to this demographic. Is it then so absurd the mega success this film is having in Japan after having had an enormous success in the US ?
TonyTonyChopper

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:23 am Reply with quote
Cptn_Taylor wrote:
The basic reality is this : kids around the world are the same. A japanese kid is no different than an american kid, or a french kid or an indian kid. Disney knows very well how to cater to this demographic. Is it then so absurd the mega success this film is having in Japan after having had an enormous success in the US ?
I agree with that now i think about it but by that logic One Piece should also be popular all over the world.
Despite being a bit vilolent if someone would really give it a puss for worldwide and big merchandising it could become the most popular thing to kids ever most dumbases in my country don't even know what it is.

Only fergot American media always rules the world because of suckers that don't know any better ...
vanfanel

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:33 am Reply with quote
It's out on BD? That surprises me, since the Japanese dub is still playing in theaters in Kyushu. Might have to give it a rent once the rush dies down and see what all the fuss is about. It'll probably be the first Disney animated film I've seen since..."Atlantis," maybe?

I hope 2D theatrical animation isn't forever abandoned in the US, though. While I've liked a number of full-CG films, I haven't seen one yet that I've loved. That includes Pixar's stuff (though I still haven't seen "Up").
Quark

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:02 am Reply with quote
vanfanel wrote:
It's out on BD? That surprises me, since the Japanese dub is still playing in theaters in Kyushu. Might have to give it a rent once the rush dies down and see what all the fuss is about. It'll probably be the first Disney animated film I've seen since..."Atlantis," maybe?

I hope 2D theatrical animation isn't forever abandoned in the US, though. While I've liked a number of full-CG films, I haven't seen one yet that I've loved. That includes Pixar's stuff (though I still haven't seen "Up").

I think I would have liked Frozen better if it was in 2D. The 2D art used for merchandise is gorgeous, whereas sometimes the 3D animation starts wandering into the Uncanny Valley. But I'm an old grump.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:14 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:

Now here's a knowledge check how well do ya think ya know the Japanese language - can ya tell which one is Osaka-ben and which one is Hakata-ben? Smile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhbwi861fBo
vs.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9L_M5B8lYKg

Even without the fact that each one mentions which city it is from in the song, the use of アカンand めっちゃas well as the -へんand -んや terminations in the second one makes it obvious that's the one from Osaka. Wasn't even aware there was a Hakata-ben. Wink
Pen nomine

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:01 am Reply with quote
I can not wait for more terrible Frozen inspired fanart to show up on my twitter feed.

Seriously. How do people even enjoy this dreck?
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:13 am Reply with quote
Watch Anno now delay the 4th film another 5 years to make it better than frozen Rolling Eyes
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:25 am Reply with quote
Pen nomine wrote:
I can not wait for more terrible Frozen inspired fanart to show up on my twitter feed.

Seriously. How do people even enjoy this dreck?

De gustibus non est disputandum Laughing

What about the dreck you enjoy ? Care to illustrate us with some of shit you read or watch on tv ?
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:28 am Reply with quote
TonyTonyChopper wrote:
Cptn_Taylor wrote:
I agree with that now i think about it but by that logic One Piece should also be popular all over the world.
Despite being a bit vilolent if someone would really give it a puss for worldwide and big merchandising it could become the most popular thing to kids ever most dumbases in my country don't even know what it is.

Only fergot American media always rules the world because of suckers that don't know any better ...

One Piece doesn't have the marketing power that Disney has. They don't even translate or localize their own stuff--they sell the license to various companies in different countries to do it for them. Disney has international marketing in mind with every property they create, and they are experts at marketing and cultural crossover.

Curious what country are you from?
Alexander55

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:17 am Reply with quote
TonyTonyChopper wrote:

Yeah Toel animation could have made One Piece more popular worldwide and especially in the US but it didn't happen because 4kids mismanaged it and because they didn't take advantage of the pirate trend that was around when Disney's Pirates of the Caribbean was popular at that time.

Also before Crunchyroll encouraged Japanese companies to bring their anime overboard, most Japanese companies were relatively risk-free and content with their domestic market. This contrasts strongly with the companies in corporate America, where most media companies here are more than glad to mass-market their live films, music, animation, and pop-culture worldwide and reel in billions of dollars. Its why American media conglomerates and corporations remain powerful and why most of the world's newer generation grew up with American pop-culture as opposed to their own. Because America, through sheer capitalism, has literally colonized the world with their pop-culture. Japan has yet to do it and the only reason why its animation and comics remain relatively popular throughout many of these years is because of grassroots movements in the fanbase. Where else America likes to impose its cultural, economic, and political power around the world, Japan keeps it mostly to itself.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4