• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Frozen Blu-ray's 1st Day in Japan Tops Evangelion's All-Time Sales Record

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TonyTonyChopper

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:26 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
TonyTonyChopper wrote:
I agree with that now i think about it but by that logic One Piece should also be popular all over the world.
Despite being a bit vilolent if someone would really give it a puss for worldwide and big merchandising it could become the most popular thing to kids ever most dumbases in my country don't even know what it is.

Only fergot American media always rules the world because of suckers that don't know any better ...

One Piece doesn't have the marketing power that Disney has. They don't even translate or localize their own stuff--they sell the license to various companies in different countries to do it for them. Disney has international marketing in mind with every property they create, and they are experts at marketing and cultural crossover.

Curious what country are you from?
Netherlands for the outside world it act's all high and might but there is actually a lot wrong with it even more so since the goverment is cutting away a lot of money for about everything, companies and stores are going down like rain drops and the elderly can't even go to special homes anymore.
But the point is our local TV is pathetic with rerun after rerun and the programmes they do produce here are stupid as shit.
And Anime and other stuff i want to see is nowhere to be found.

But then to the point of One Piece i din't say Toei/shuesha has to do it themselves although that might be part of the problem why many country's don't even have anime anymore these days.
If they actually did it it may just work out again.
Pokemon,Yu-gi-oh and DBZ used to be actually really popular around here but then it faded and it never came back.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:42 am Reply with quote
Looks like "Frozen's" still doing well. But I agree with the earlier statement that Disney should return to traditional animation. CGI animation might be shinier but I still like the old-fashioned way of doing it,although the use of computers in 2D animation,doesn't seem too bad. I'm not saying computer animation doesn't have a place but I'd still like to see animation done the traditional way.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:08 pm Reply with quote
Shadowrun20XX wrote:
Both Anna and Elsa have giant anime eyes. Compare them to any other disney character. They are bigger than usual for a princess.

Couldn't tell you why but it might have to do with the breaks in the formula and that Disney predictability.

Maybe sisterly Love? A bit of Yuki-Yuri? Women power? 2 princesses on screen?

I really enjoyed it, the story was mediocre but the graphics were amazing which might be it's redeeming quality. It was certainly worth the gamble. Not like that epidemic (Disney) needs any more success.
You can thank Disney's Snow White and Tezuka Osamu's obsession over it for that "anime BIG eyes" phenomena.

Frozen; This whole movie looked like it was written on loo paper in one of the company's toilets. It was that paper thin and so predictable I spent most of the time ticking off the usual Disney trope suspects as it rolled on before they happened and the movie slotted right in almost every time. The graphics were brilliant, and I'm guessing that's what won the Oscar, cause the story just ran out of fuel before touching the runway on the final approach. I feel it tarnish the glitter of that Oscar for it too.
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:41 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Mr Adventure wrote:
Disney's on a pretty good streak right now. Ever since Lasseter took over things have been on a pretty positive swing for Disney animation. Wish they would switch back to 2D though. Leave the CGI to Pixar.

Didn't they already dismantle their 2D movie studios? Even if they hadn't the search for 2D animation talent these days will probably yield few strong results, all the animators grow up on learning 3D modeling. Besides, with PotF only doing marginally well and Pooh only barely making its production budget back, I doubt they'll even attempt 2D for a long while, even if it was there desire.
They did about a year ago.

As for Pooh, it didn't barely make it's production budget back (Much less with marketing), it lost much more than that. Remember, studios typically see only 50% of the worldwide gross (And some countries give not very much, you only get 25% of what a movie makes in China).

Though what would you expect when you thought you could make money against the final Harry Potter? NOTHING was going to do well against that, NOTHING. EVERYONE including kids were going to see that. Shame that poor scheduling pretty much killed the final 2D animated movie from North America.
vanfanel wrote:
I hope 2D theatrical animation isn't forever abandoned in the US, though. While I've liked a number of full-CG films, I haven't seen one yet that I've loved. That includes Pixar's stuff (though I still haven't seen "Up").
It probably is forever abandoned at this point to be honest. I mean the upcoming Spongebob movie is going to be CGI, that upcoming Popeye movie is going to be CGI, the upcoming Peanuts movie is going to be CGI, Seth Rogen's Sausage Party is going to be CGI.

As mentioned earlier, Disney also gutted almost their entire 2D staff.

Unfortunately Hollywood just doesn't see 2D as viable thanks to those flops in the early 2000's, which were due to being bad movies, being poorly marketed, and/or released at a bad time
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:25 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:

You can thank Disney's Snow White and Tezuka Osamu's obsession over it for that "anime BIG eyes" phenomena.

Frozen; This whole movie looked like it was written on loo paper in one of the company's toilets. It was that paper thin and so predictable I spent most of the time ticking off the usual Disney trope suspects as it rolled on before they happened and the movie slotted right in almost every time. The graphics were brilliant, and I'm guessing that's what won the Oscar, cause the story just ran out of fuel before touching the runway on the final approach. I feel it tarnish the glitter of that Oscar for it too.

To be honest you can tick off a checklist of predictable items for EVERY movie that comes out of Hollywood. So Disney isn't special in this regard.
ParaChomp

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:28 pm Reply with quote
Mr Adventure wrote:
I personally prefer Wreak-It Ralph of the latest crop. And yes Brave was the weakest Pixar film to date. But 'shit' is a serious over statement.
I'll take Brave over Cars 2 any day.
Stealth00

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:34 pm Reply with quote
Cptn_Taylor wrote:

To be honest you can tick off a checklist of predictable items for EVERY movie that comes out of Hollywood. So Disney isn't special in this regard.

And it's not like anime kid's movies are any less predictable and formulaic either. Disney is popular because they are very well produced family films. No one is expecting the screenplay to be a masterpiece.
gloverrandal

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:24 pm Reply with quote
TonyTonyChopper wrote:
I agree with that now i think about it but by that logic One Piece should also be popular all over the world.
Despite being a bit vilolent if someone would really give it a puss for worldwide and big merchandising it could become the most popular thing to kids ever most dumbases in my country don't even know what it is.

Only fergot American media always rules the world because of suckers that don't know any better ...

It's less about "suckers" and more about them aiming at the majority audience. That's why kids movies strive for zero objectionable content. That's why Hollywood movies star white men and if they're feeling extra bold, a white woman. It's all about reaching as many people as possible and tailoring your products as such.

One Piece has content that would be seen as objectionable in a lot of countries which would prevent it from taking off: violence, sexual themes, mature subject matter. Frozen does not.

But I don't think people should try to compare Frozen to One Piece to begin with. They're almost total opposites in every way. One Piece is a long-running manga and a television anime. Frozen is a stand-alone movie. Of course it's easier to sell a stand-alone movie than a manga or TV series spanning over 500 episodes/chapters. They are both huge in their respective mediums, though One Piece is the best selling manga out there and one of the most watched anime, after all. It's not exactly some underground obscure property.

And Evangelion? You think Evangelion with it's content matter should be as widespread a children's Disney movie? Look, Evangelion is cool, and I totally prefer it to Frozen, but let's be realistic. There's no way it can appeal to the mainstream with it's subject matter. Even Ghibli's work tend to be a bit too heavy for most western audiences, especially if it's a more controversal subject like Wind Rises or Up On Poppy Hill.

Animation especially has a stigma in the west. Disney makes their films within the stigma of animation being aimed at children which is why they are successful. But I think that's why most people who are into anime like anime, it does things you can't find in western animation, or television in general. I'm sure if they tried Japan could do similar stuff with it's animation, but they seem to prefer doing their own thing. If other countries object to Nami wearing a bikini instead of a burqua or Luffy actually bleeding instead of being unscathed in a fight, they don't have to watch it. Personally I'd rather read the series Oda wants to write rather than the series he thinks will be accepted in every country of the world. I don't care how popular or mainstream something I watch is outside the target demographic of anime fans.
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:41 pm Reply with quote
Maceart wrote:
Brave was a piece of shit.

No it wasn't. Brave might not have set the world on fire but it was a respectably good movie.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:00 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I firmly believe that if Dreamworks or some other studio had released Brave most people would be applauding it as a pretty good movie. But, since it was Pixar and since it wasn't as good as their best stuff, there's this perception that it was "awful". Sorry but I just don't see that at all. It's a flawed movie that kinda falls apart in the second half but it's still a pretty solid film.
iloveturkey

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:20 pm Reply with quote
That goes without saying. One company's turd is another company's ambrosia. You expect more from Disney and Pixar. One doesn't have high hopes for a Dreamworks film to begin with.

Brave's scorn probably was tied to the fact it tried to change the whole princess motif by making the princess ugly, tomboyish, brash, and overall a departure to your standard Disney Princess. It obviously didn't take and people preferred their princesses like Elsa/Anna and Rapunzul over Merida. So much for that, I suppose. I wonder just how much of that was in Brenda Chapman's original pitch before she was fired and how much was Mark Andrews's idea after he came on board. Brave's nasty behind the scenes misogyny doesn't help it's case either way I imagine.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:51 pm Reply with quote
Brave's problem is that it lacks a decent conflict in the second act.
KoujiTamino

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:55 pm Reply with quote
vanfanel wrote:
It's out on BD? That surprises me, since the Japanese dub is still playing in theaters in Kyushu.

That's not surprising. I recall that theaters were still playing the film here in the US when it came out on home video.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:14 pm Reply with quote
iloveturkey wrote:
That goes without saying. One company's turd is another company's ambrosia. You expect more from Disney and Pixar. One doesn't have high hopes for a Dreamworks film to begin with.

Nah, that's wrong. Dreamworks does pretty solid work. They're certainly not consistently excellent like Pixar and they're still milking Shrek and Madagascar but otherwise their output is pretty damn solid. And that's what Brave is. A pretty damn solid movie. It's not a "turd" just because it isn't as flat out amazing as Pixar's other work.

iloveturkey wrote:
Brave's scorn probably was tied to the fact it tried to change the whole princess motif by making the princess ugly, tomboyish, brash, and overall a departure to your standard Disney Princess. It obviously didn't take and people preferred their princesses like Elsa/Anna and Rapunzul over Merida.

You know, it's pretty disgusting how you'll immediately co-opt feminist issues to support your self-serving "western shit sucks" narrative. Especially while simultaneously being kinda misogynistic yourself. I mean, really? Merida is "ugly" now? Ha ha. You're such a tool.
mdo7

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:16 pm Reply with quote
Wow, that is certainly quite an achievement, nice job Disney and Frozen. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4