• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Frozen Blu-ray's 1st Day in Japan Tops Evangelion's All-Time Sales Record

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lostrune

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:08 am Reply with quote
Mr Adventure wrote:
Brave's problem is that it lacks a decent conflict in the second act.

I always thought it was just a rip off of Brother Bear Laughing But they're both Disney so maybe it's just originality.
Agent355

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:46 am Reply with quote
I had no idea how much animosity people had towards Frozen before I read this thread. It's a decent movie, and the snowman didn't annoy me nearly as much as I thought he would. That has to count for something, right?
EnzoM87

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:03 pm Reply with quote
Well deserved, hope it's still kicking in theaters too.

Agent355 wrote:
I had no idea how much animosity people had towards Frozen before I read this thread. It's a decent movie, and the snowman didn't annoy me nearly as much as I thought he would. That has to count for something, right?

People are just being salty because the movie is so successful and popular, everyone can't still shut up about it after almost 7 months it came out in the first place. In fact, it continues to shatter records instead, and over (often niche) things they like or don't have any problem with since no one gives a fu** about them. So even if they didn't watch it at all they think they look soooo great and different by saying it's crap (this happens all the time with lots of stuff honestly).

Well, it isn't.

It's actually the opposite when you consider what's the purpose of the movie (aside from being enjoyable for kids, and we can all agree it succeeded in doing that at least). When you judge it for what it tries (and succeeds) to accomplish, without prejudices based on the above reasons, you understand why it's so great even aside from the songs and the incredible cgi graphics. Or do people really think that a movie is SO LOVED (by critics too!) only because of a song? Well, try to understand the themes, analyze what it's REALLY talking about, then look at the society, at little girls who had a sister that shut em out when she grew up, or boys and girls who (especially growing up) don't feel good about themselves. Or adult people who grew up feeling just the same (because everyone love this thing, even my 89 yrs old grandma watched it twice). Then look at the messages Frozen is sending to these people, HOW it's doing this, how it's talking directly to them. I mean, i don't even identify myself in these matters but it's pretty clear to me that the themes are one of the main reasons Frozen is so loved and is such a great movie alongside the songs, the lovable characters, the good pacing and the fantastic (and appealing) artstyle and advanced rendering techniques Disney used to draw characters and locations. Or how it throws away some Disney's stereotypes that started to feel a bit stale, or how it perfectly shows some parents fears (the beginning-->overprotective parents who tried too hard to keep their kids safe and ended screwing things up; Hans--> the type of person that scares adults before children, also the "you need to know people before you can really fall in love with them" stuff), or the symbolism, perfectly put in context. Then come here again and say it's shitty and "plot holes" and "rushed" and "crap" just because you didn't want to understand why they presented the plot that way or... you know, the other reason. About Olaf, which you mentioned in your post, he had great jokes and was a great comic relief but also had a quite deep role too, serving as a reflection of the bond and love between Elsa and Anna, as well as their innocence and attitude as kids (this is shown in the song "In Summer" and in the lines "i'm Olaf and i like warm hugs" or "the sky is awake"). But back to the original matter... am i saying it's perfect? Or that people can't genuinely dislike it? No and hell no. It's not perfect obviously, and "de gustibus non disputandum est" like someone said before, everyone is entitled to his own opinion and everyone has a personal perception of things, so it's perfectly fine to dislike the movie. But that's not the point obviously. The point is that Frozen works, and it works really well, so it's a movie that deserves its success even if some random people on the internet feel the need to say the contrary again and again and again for already explained (and honestly sad) reasons. Again here i'm referring to certain people, not the ones who honestly didn't enjoy the movie. Nothing against personal opinions, everything against haters and trolls (and not the ones from the movie Smile!).

But hey, honestly, every single successful thing gains his haters just because of that exact reason. In the same animation field, some comments about The Lion King, Beauty and the Beast, Nemo or Toy Story were just as salty but they are still loved by pretty much anyone, while no one remembers the little haters who went on streets and schools bashing them so they could look cool and different. So if you liked it don't mind some salty posts, in 20 years these nonsensical comments will not be remembered, but the movie will be. And with tons of love, like it's supposed to.

That being said, i don't really understand why discuss this in a topic that it's probably supposed to only talk about blu ray sales lol

Last edited by EnzoM87 on Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:01 pm; edited 3 times in total
Lavnovice9

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:31 pm Reply with quote
I always take it with a grain of salt when someone says their reason for liking Frozen is it's not as stereotypical a Disney movie as other Disney movies. Are we supposed to reward that specifically when tons of other movies don't follow the Disney formula? And it's not like it's even that different from the Disney formula outside the Hans thing. Personally, as someone who watches a tons of animated movies, that feels like a really cheap reason to like it.

Like it for the music or whatever if you want, but anythings a better reason than 'it's different' when there's tons of other movies which are even more different.
EnzoM87

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:43 pm Reply with quote
Lavnovice9 wrote:
I always take it with a grain of salt when someone says their reason for liking Frozen is it's not as stereotypical a Disney movie as other Disney movies. Are we supposed to reward that specifically when tons of other movies don't follow the Disney formula? And it's not like it's even that different from the Disney formula outside the Hans thing. Personally, as someone who watches a tons of animated movies, that feels like a really cheap reason to like it.

Like it for the music or whatever if you want, but anythings a better reason than 'it's different' when there's tons of other movies which are even more different.

Well that's not THE reason obviously (i wrote a lot of stuff after all), but can be one of them since it's done very well, and most of all, if people say "it plays too safe! It's again the same shit they do since Snow White only with different characters!" it's obvious to point out that it really isn't. Tangled on the other hand is, but it wasn't loved as much as Frozen so it's fine for that movie to do the same old thing. And i say this because it's true, but it's not a problem to me since i love classic Disney stuff and i really liked that movie (i think it was the first one they did properly in a very long time).

Also, Hans is certainly not the only thing that Frozen does differently from Disney's past movies, and i'm not denying in any way that other films did different stuff as well. For example, i loved Enchanted with Amy Adams (and Adelle Dazeem!), that movie did things differently too and it worked really well. Frozen is different from the (real) classics in some aspects but it still feels like one of them, and to me that's a good thing.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:44 pm Reply with quote
Simple pleasures for simple minds.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:27 pm Reply with quote
Man, so many people here are down on this movie for what seems like petty reasons.

There's just so many posts here that go out of thier way to downplay this movie anyway they can.

"It's not actually original"

"Oh it's just original for a Disney movie"

Which are really dumb ways to discredit the movie. The Disney Movie Princess Template is such a part of storytelling culture that to have a movie where it dosen't follow that is pretty cool.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:27 pm Reply with quote
EnzoM87 wrote:
Lavnovice9 wrote:

Well that's not THE reason obviously (i wrote a lot of stuff after all), but can be one of them since it's done very well, and most of all, if people say "it plays too safe!

Madoka Magica did it differently and did it very well, leading to its massive success. Sometimes, that's all it takes.

Sometimes, people have a double-standard: when anime does it, it's fine - when something else, suddenly it's not.

EnzoM87 wrote:

Tangled on the other hand is, but it wasn't loved as much as Frozen so it's fine for that movie to do the same old thing.

Heheheh, I've been saying Tangled is pretty good ever since it came out, but not many believed or backed me up - until Frozen came out, then suddenly they're all "BUT-but Tangled was better!" (Yeah where were ya when I was saying that?!) Sometimes people don't want to admit it until they have to use it against something. Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4