• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Gurren Lagann to Run on Adult Swim's Toonami Block

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
supersqueak

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:17 am Reply with quote
I think it is unfortunate that Toonami made it's comeback at a time where nobody cares about cable anymore. I am sure a lot of people still are enjoying it though hopefully they are touching the lives of kids everywhere the way they did when I was young or just maybe keeping drunk 20 somethings entertained until they pass out I don't know.
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:21 am Reply with quote
Gyt Kaliba wrote:
Seriously, since when did it become a problem for an awesome show to be aired on a block regardless of whether it's old or not?

I agree with this. Dragon Ball Z, for example, had been running on Fox for I think a couple of years before it started showing on Toonami, and it was only then that it became a breakout hit in America. I think it does make something of a difference when you place a show in a timeslot on a channel where the most people likely to watch it will catch it.
KidOblivion

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:56 am Reply with quote
Toonami is probably going to advertise it as " watch the *full* thing, only on Toonami", or something along those lines. I always hated how Sy-Fi treated their anime by cutting stuff out or speeding it up, I'd rather have a cut intro. One of the perks of getting the DVD anyway.
IanC

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:11 am Reply with quote
Gyt Kaliba wrote:
Seriously, since when did it become a problem for an awesome show to be aired on a block regardless of whether it's old or not?

Exactly. Plus theres a high chance they got it as a package type deal along with something else from Aniplex or thought "hey, this will be a great fit, we shall pick it up".

Might be "old" (tho, it isn't, really. The oldest show Toonami will be airing will be DBZ Kai, i you think about it Wink) but its still a great show.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:12 am Reply with quote
Kikaioh wrote:
Gyt Kaliba wrote:

I agree with this. Dragon Ball Z, for example, had been running on Fox for I think a couple of years before it started showing on Toonami, and it was only then that it became a breakout hit in America. I think it does make something of a difference when you place a show in a timeslot on a channel where the most people likely to watch it will catch it.

They first started with Dragon Ball in syndication then when that didn't work, they moved up to Dragon Ball Z - still in syndication. That sort of worked {yes, it ran on Fox but mostly because Fox at that time needed syndication to fill out their air time} but it's hard to get feedback on a show that runs at different times at miserable times for weekend cartoons {before 8 or after noon. And the previous week's episode on Sunday, don't ask me why}.

What helped it with Toonami was a constant, good timeslot. And that was just the first 53 episodes of the Ocean dub - that reminds me that I forgot something; It's still around, never mind then- which ran on Toonami for a bit {a really long bit at that} before they got around to thinking "you know, there's more to this series..." which is when it started to get some traction.

Sad to say that this run of Gurren Lagann with only help those people without an active interest in watching the show {if you really wanted to see it by now, you'd have seen it. I myself first saw the original sub only DVDs back when Netflix actually carried anime} which will air at 2 AM, one episode a week. Really uninterested people.

Dragon Ball Z at 5 PM "What's this?"
Gurren Lagann at 2 AM "Oh, I know what that is."
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:33 am Reply with quote
And they're supposedly going to replace "Blue Exorcist" with this. I guess it's Toonami's way of saying "Sorry you had to suffer through this. We had no idea BE would be 20 episodes of nothing happening. It looked way better in the previewers."
S Suitengu

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:54 am Reply with quote
spinja446 wrote:
Who cares if it aired on Syfy lol. Syfy wasn't the only channel airing anime.

Starz Edge aired Black Lagoon and Hellsing Ultimate back in 2008 as well as Desert Punk for a short time. They also aired some movies too like Fullmetal Alchemist the Movie: Conqueror of Shamballa, Akira, Appleseed, Jin-Roh, GITS: Solid State Society.

IFC was also airing anime under their belt too.
Samurai 7 and Basilisk in 2006.
Gunslinger Girl aired in 2007
Speed Grapher and Witchblade aired in 2008.

I'm glad Gurren Lagann is airing on Toonami nevertheless. It's perfect for them.

Also IFC aired Hell Girl first saw it there that got me hooked
terminus24

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:56 am Reply with quote
Gurren Lagann's run will probably be a bit shorter than the time it'll take for Aniplex to release all of the Kill la Kill BDs, so... Yeah, expecting this is probably just a prelude to KLK on Toonami.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:03 am Reply with quote
Toonami is getting all the shows Adult Swim Action didn't get when they first came out.

Did I already see it when it was on SyFy? Yes. Am I still excited? Hell yes. This show is awesome.
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:26 am Reply with quote
Woop. I haven't seen this show in ages, it'll be nice to revisit it occasionally.
RestLessone

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:27 am Reply with quote
I began watching it on CR recently. Does it get better? It was more or less a fun romp spoiler[until episode 8, which did leave me feeling really bummed out. I liked Kamina, or at least the chemistry he had with other cast members.] I put it on hold after episode 9. It's not a bad show by any means, but I don't really get why people gush about it at this point. Or is 8 the real turning point?

I do hope this leads to KLK airing, though, and I think Gurren Lagann is perfect for Toonami's block.
angieness

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:39 am Reply with quote
I watched it as it was airing as well as own the whole thing and I'm still excited to see it come to Toonami. It's important to remember the show is almost 10 years old and was on Scifi almost 10 years ago, which is like an eternity in anime fandom. So there are likely a lot of newer fans that have never seen the show.

(and what's with the negativity over Toonami? Does no one notice Attack on Titan is doing awesome in the ratings?)

Last edited by angieness on Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:39 am; edited 1 time in total
Splitter

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:39 am Reply with quote
Great news. Even if it aired on Syfy already, that was over five years ago, and certainly more people have come into watching anime since then. That people who have never seen it will now have the opportunity to bask in its glory is a great thing Smile
Mune

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:47 am Reply with quote
ki_881 wrote:
u6064vision wrote:

Don't forget G4 even though their anime block was terrible lol

I believe they aired Gungrave, R.O.D: Read or Die, Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi, RahXephon and Cromartie High School.

Not exactly a stellar line-up but they did air some of that stuff If I correctly remember. They also aired Vipers Creed which was awful. xD

You forgot Banner of the Stars.

There were more...
Last Exile, Geneshaft, Betterman, Boogiepop Phantom, Dual: Parallel Trouble Adventure, Serial Experiments Lain, Silent Mobius, Gatekeepers 21, Crest of the Stars, Colorful, Armitage: Poly-Matrix, Gad Guard, and The SoulTaker.

Aside from that, this announcement for Gurren Lagann seems very late.
Cyclone1993

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:49 am Reply with quote
This is rather surprising, although its more surprising that it never aired on Toonami before since it is a perfect fit! I just watched it for the first time a month ago, and enjoyed it. I'm not entirely sure why it's so popular, but it is a good series. Don't get me wrong!

I hope this is a lead up to Kill La Kill, since that would also be a great fit, and I liked KLK more.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6