• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Gurren Lagann to Run on Adult Swim's Toonami Block

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 3:49 pm Reply with quote
And Gurren Lagann airing on Toonami is bad…why? So what if it aired five years ago, there are plenty of people (such as casuals) who have not watched it yet (you would be very surprised at how many people haven't watched that show you and your friends & the rest of fandom watched already). It's not like Syfy did a great job broadcasting or advertising it, either (a whole other discussion in of itself).

If I was operating Toonami, I would want to show the best anime out there: well-known, little-known, or previously-aired elsewhere. Have we forgotten the gateway that the block has been and continues to be? With the ratings as good as they have been, this is a good opportunity for more people to see how great the genre can be (although I wish it was at a better timeslot than 2AM…). Gurren Lagann will certainly have a better shot with more backing and viewership that what it got at Syfy. You need to air more than the same batch of shows every week, after all spoiler[(contrary to what a few have complained about with Toonami swapping out finished shows, which itself is contrary to the complaints about Toonami/Adult Swim being stagnant for so long just few years ago)].
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Greed1914

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:34 pm Reply with quote
Cyclone1993 wrote:
This is rather surprising, although its more surprising that it never aired on Toonami before since it is a perfect fit! I just watched it for the first time a month ago, and enjoyed it. I'm not entirely sure why it's so popular, but it is a good series. Don't get me wrong!

I hope this is a lead up to Kill La Kill, since that would also be a great fit, and I liked KLK more.

I'm guessing that will be the next series that will come in after this one. Toonami seems to have settled into a system of replacing shows that finish their run with others from the same R1 companies. The biggest exception being Kai replacing Bleach.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:53 pm Reply with quote
luffypirate85 wrote:
Remember when Macross Plus aired on Tech TV? Man those were some gooood times.

I believe you are confusing them with Sci-Fi (now SyFy) which ran it several times.

Of course, if they ran it in more recent times (well after Comcast acquired it, merged it into G4, and killed it off), I wouldn't be aware of that.

These are the shows that ran on TechTV's "Anime Unleashed" block:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anime_Unleashed#List_of_anime_broadcast_by_Anime_Unleashed_.282002-2006.29

Yes, it was indeed good times.

I wouldn't trade it for what we have today, but fortunately, I don't have to.
Divineking

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:08 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
Cyclone1993 wrote:
This is rather surprising, although its more surprising that it never aired on Toonami before since it is a perfect fit! I just watched it for the first time a month ago, and enjoyed it. I'm not entirely sure why it's so popular, but it is a good series. Don't get me wrong!

I hope this is a lead up to Kill La Kill, since that would also be a great fit, and I liked KLK more.

I'm guessing that will be the next series that will come in after this one. Toonami seems to have settled into a system of replacing shows that finish their run with others from the same R1 companies. The biggest exception being Kai replacing Bleach.

Kai was never confirmed to be Bleach's replacement. DeMarco said they aren't even sure what timeslot to put it in yet
Dfens

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:08 pm Reply with quote
Attack on Titan and to a degree Space Dandy have appeal aimed outside Japan viewership that can attract viewers who may not be hardcore or casual Anime fans into becoming viewers. So it's a show that has appeal to other audiences even people who just watch plain old American Cartoons.

With shows like Gurren Lagann that's a specific type of show that usually people who are into the what was Gainax's style of shows with some cross over to other Anime Fandom.

Being a megahit I'm sorry a few Cosplayers still dressing up as characters of that show doesn't count. I see Cosplayers from all types of shows people have forgotten which may or may have not been big when airing. I know here stateside the sales for the show weren't setting any records or where on fire for that matter. Unless your person who has been into Anime a long time and keeps up with everything I've met tons of people who don't even know what Gurren Lagann is so that says much when a buddy of mine who doesn't watch Anime but has seen and knows what Evangelion is.

Hell even that expensive Blu-Ray import set took a few years to sell out stateside while Garden of Sinners which had no official streaming or initial release pre-sold out before release date and is still hard to find on the used market.

As for figures they make them all the time because they are profitable it's simple merchandising.

Some people will say any Anime on TV is a good thing. I could careless it's not like I want the network to go under and for it to die off, but I just don't see the excitement when Anime on Cable TV is no longer really that relevant anymore with sources as the Internet whether fan subbed, official streaming, or official home video being their and at a better convenience/speed. It's like it's lost the usefulness it once had since their are superior/better ways of acquiring/watching whatever said program.
PipingHotTea

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:37 pm Reply with quote
Shadowrun20XX wrote:
I hope it gets some ratings.

Not a huge fan of Gurren Lagann or KLK but I think it'll do very very well on the ratings.
Joe Carpenter

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:52 pm Reply with quote
interesting how Adult Swim/Toonami has been airing shows like this and Black Lagoon that they really should have played years ago, but better late than never
malvarez1

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:10 pm Reply with quote
I don't get the haters at all. Lagann is a GREAT show. I saw it recently, and I'm still glad its airing. Its a quality show, full of action, and now some new viewers can watch it.

This is great news!
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:35 pm Reply with quote
Well it's good that one of the best anime titles of the last decade(if not the best) is getting an airing where it may even get more attention.

Better than some of the other stuff they've been showing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
redranger

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:22 pm Reply with quote
Best. Anime. Ever. Period.
Lawliet07

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:03 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
But I guess with this and DBZ Kai, it's all Toonami can do to stay afloat nowadays, outside of new Space Dandy.

Hyperbolic garbage much?
Gonstead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:17 pm Reply with quote
For those wondering, they've already been asked if they could air KLK on Toonami and they replied back that it would need to be censored to the point of not even being worth it if they wanted to try and get it to air on TV.

Read carefully: "Try" to get it to air on TV.

Good news for Gurren Lagann at least.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:39 pm Reply with quote
Dfens wrote:
Plus this is a old show, it's not some smash hit like AOT, hell back in the day when it was new didn't set the community on fire we rarely get a mega hit they come once in a blue moon.

Ironically, the Japanese Yoko Littner was also the Japanese Armin though I think she was horrible as Armin because of girly his voice was.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:39 pm Reply with quote
Gonstead wrote:
For those wondering, they've already been asked if they could air KLK on Toonami and they replied back that it would need to be censored to the point of not even being worth it if they wanted to try and get it to air on TV.

Read carefully: "Try" to get it to air on TV.

Good news for Gurren Lagann at least.

...Yeah, I can imagine the last episode being particularly troublesome. At least in most other near-/total-naked instances, there was water, or light, or ammo vests to "hide" body parts. But the last one is no-holds-barred bare nudity, and I can't see that going over well with CN's execs, even if they are anatomically equivalent to Barbies. Plus, I think there's at least one instance of that little boy's penis being visible on-screen.
Elder God Demonbane

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:38 pm Reply with quote
YES! I'm still waiting on that Demonbane X Gurren lagan special.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6