• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Kill la Kill [Limited Edition] BD+DVD 1

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:55 pm Reply with quote
Jayhosh wrote:
Railing this forum back on topic:

Kill la Kill was amazing! Best aneemu evar! <3 :3

Fanboyism sure, but that's better, right? I'm gonna go listen to the soundtrack now while I contemplate my meaningless existence.

How clever. Out you go.

I am not joking about what I said.
NotAsCleverAsIThinkIAm

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:22 pm Reply with quote
So, this is Jayhosh speaking through a new account I made. Before you ban this one or delete it, please hear me out. I thought I was speaking civally in my second to last post, which I believe was deleted. Now, I wasn't directly discussing that topic, but I was discussing my issues I can have with the forum users. Why was that an excuse for such drastic measures? Or was I banned for my oh-so "clever post?" I don't think I did anything wrong, but so be it.

Also, your sarcasm knocked me down a peg or two. :'( The opinion of people on the internet is all I have as a source of self worth! Since when did having bad humor become a crime?
angieness

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:35 pm Reply with quote
I want to second the person that asked about leaving out the "U" in Senketsu, Junketsu, and Mankanshoku in the dub. Is that really how they're pronounced? I was certain I heard it pronounced as "Sen-ket-su" the many times Ryuko screamed it in the Japanese version, but I don't know Japanese so maybe I'm missing something subtle.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:50 pm Reply with quote
angieness wrote:
I want to second the person that asked about leaving out the "U" in Senketsu, Junketsu, and Mankanshoku in the dub. Is that really how they're pronounced? I was certain I heard it pronounced as "Sen-ket-su" the many times Ryuko screamed it in the Japanese version, but I don't know Japanese so maybe I'm missing something subtle.

Listening to the Japanese, the actors do what a lot of Japanese speakers do on select words that end in "su" "ku," and some others, which is sort of take their foot off the accelerator right before the vowel. It is pronounced, but it's not really an "oo" sound, it's like a short hiss of breath. "Senkets--!" "Mankanshok--!" The vowel's there, you can just barely hear it.

They were trying to imitate that sound in English without having the actors speak in a Japanese accent, which would be weird and ill-advised. English is a harsher, more punctuated language. Things like a dropped "u" or "Ls that sound more like tiny Ds", etc., aren't natively a part of the english language. So english speakers are more likely to overdo the hard ending without the small "breath of a u" at the end.

That said, "SenketsU" and "MankanshokU" would be totally acceptable for an english dub of the material, but probably sound even more different from the Japanese. Also, when these names are shouted, the flap usually ends on gritted teeth. So "SENKETS" is going to match picture more than "SENKETSU."
nargun

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:43 pm Reply with quote
angieness wrote:

The explanation's pretty straightforward, but the explanation of the explanation requires a semester of linguistics and a fairly detailed knowledge of japanese phonology.

+ words are borrowed into english in citation[1] form
+ in japanese, final short u is silent [technically, "devoiced"] under certain circumstances
+ but when words are used in japanese, most of the time nouns are used with a particle following, which means the final u is no longer word-final and devoicing is blocked. Similarly with final-vowel lengthening, which is a pretty common process in japanese.

[1] The plainest/standardest form the language has. For nouns in japanese that's the word with no particles, but in inflected languages like latin [or for japanese verbs, say] things get a bit tricky.
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:46 pm Reply with quote
Also to add regarding the pronunciation of the 'u' at the end of words, I remember being told by (I think) my brother's homestay family in Osaka, or maybe my Japanese teacher I can't remember which, that emphasizing the 'u' sound at the end of words comes across more polite/eloquent or something to that effect (more like Tokyo pronunciation, is how they put it IIRC). So maybe the kind of absence of the sound in the English dub isn't wholly unwarranted. I personally thought the pronunciations I'd heard so far in the English dub were very well done --- when Gamagoori's VA said "Kiryuin" I was impressed it was pronounced correctly.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:15 pm Reply with quote
Kikaioh wrote:
Also to add regarding the pronunciation of the 'u' at the end of words, I remember being told by (I think) my brother's homestay family in Osaka, or maybe my Japanese teacher I can't remember which, that emphasizing the 'u' sound at the end of words comes across more polite/eloquent or something to that effect (more like Tokyo pronunciation, is how they put it IIRC). So maybe the kind of absence of the sound in the English dub isn't wholly unwarranted. I personally thought the pronunciations I'd heard so far in the English dub were very well done --- when Gamagoori's VA said "Kiryuin" I was impressed it was pronounced correctly.

I was listening for this kind of thing when I first visited Japan in March, and what do you know, it's true! People in Tokyo tend to chop off a lot of final or transitioning vowels, while people in Osaka tend to draw vowels out almost more than it looks like they're written out for.

It's nowhere near as exaggerated as it is in animation (KLK has an Osaka chapter where we hear that,) but it is there and even if you don't know much Japanese (like me), you can hear it real easily if you listen for it.
Wrathful

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:19 am Reply with quote
I thought the review was overly generous. In the introductory episodes and followed by a few, it was pretty entertaining. It got all over the place in the later half. None of the characters were particularly deep save for Satsuki and the blind swordman guy, in my opinion, it failed to justify 24 episodes because its world wasn't that interesting either. The only interesting place was that school system in each prefecture.

I wouldn't call it a bad anime but I thought the score was tad high. There is some sort of deep meaning I'm sure but all it was just an entertaining time passer. I still think TTGL was their masterpiece where in the beginning it was boring to watch but by the end, the characters really grew on me. On the other hand, Kill La Kill casts didn't seem all that memorable and never really endearing.
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:00 am Reply with quote
Wrathful wrote:
I thought the review was overly generous. In the introductory episodes and followed by a few, it was pretty entertaining. It got all over the place in the later half.

You do realise that the review only covers the first four episodes, right?

Right?
angieness

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:22 am Reply with quote
Thanks for the clarification! I had a feeling it was just something I couldn't hear. I just rewatched a little in Japanese and still had to try really hard to hear it because it is really subtle.
SynergyMan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:12 am Reply with quote
Seems like ANN doesn't know what animation is. Please tell me where KLK's animation is. There is barely any animation in Kill La Kill. A lot of limited animation and only a few cuts of fluid stuff. The rest is super limited animation, especially for a certain upcoming character. At best, the animation grade should be a C, because this show has objectively meh animation.
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:59 am Reply with quote
^
Yeah, I was surprised at the animation grade as well. For example, I seem to remember episode four barely had any animation at all.
EnzoM87

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:58 am Reply with quote
If they bring it to Italy i'll buy the sh*t out of it. My favourite anime in a very long time.

(Also, totally off topic but i really hope studio Trigger will eventually contact Platinum Games to work on an action game tie in of the anime Razz)

Last edited by EnzoM87 on Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
fullmetalhollow

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:29 am Reply with quote
SynergyMan wrote:
Seems like ANN doesn't know what animation is. Please tell me where KLK's animation is. There is barely any animation in Kill La Kill. A lot of limited animation and only a few cuts of fluid stuff. The rest is super limited animation, especially for a certain upcoming character. At best, the animation grade should be a C, because this show has objectively meh animation.

Man it always pisses me off when someone disses KLKs animation when they clearly are biased towards a particular style of animation. Yeah they do use limited animation, is limited animation necessarily bad? Hell no, and they use it marvelously to convey their characters in this show. I'd rather have dynamic yet limited animation then talking heads for half the episode.

Animation means to bring something to life, and there was a ton of life in KLK's animation. Anyone with at least a somewhat expanded understanding of animation knows there's a hell of a lot more to it then fluidity, that's why all these reviews of KLK are giving it A's.
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:25 pm Reply with quote
fullmetalhollow wrote:
SynergyMan wrote:

Man it always pisses me off when someone disses KLKs animation when they clearly are biased towards a particular style of animation. Yeah they do use limited animation, is limited animation necessarily bad? Hell no, and they use it marvelously to convey their characters in this show. I'd rather have dynamic yet limited animation then talking heads for half the episode.

Animation means to bring something to life, and there was a ton of life in KLK's animation. Anyone with at least a somewhat expanded understanding of animation knows there's a hell of a lot more to it then fluidity, that's why all these reviews of KLK are giving it A's.

All TV Anime, even many anime movies, are Limited Animation. Of course limited involves a ton of shortcuts. Talking heads are just as limited. While there are plenty of styles within Limited, I have to agree that in many, many places the Trigger staff have cut so many corners it becomes sloppy.

Though to Trigger's credit this is their first TV Anime as a studio. While they have veterans on staff, and they did train up some folks thanks to LWA and the free gov't money to make it, how much can we expect from such a new team? Their Inferno Cop web-anime was even lower budget, but also a fun ride.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 10 of 11