• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Kill la Kill [Limited Edition] BD+DVD 1

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gambeno

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:48 pm Reply with quote
I picked up the LE and its great. The dub is actually pretty good, and the OST comes with the slower version of, "Before my body is dry" which is excellent. Great set for people who love the show.
Kyon27

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:50 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

I'm going to actually make a value judgement on the people who buy Aniplex releases: you're ruining it for everybody else. Stop rewarding Aniplex's greed.

Sorry, dude. I'm not trying to ruin it for you, really. Tell you what, you can even come watch it at my house. Cool
law240

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:51 pm Reply with quote
I love Kill la Kill and for a Aniplex show the price isn't murder so I'm going to at least drop 60 for the first vol because episode 3 and 4 are two of my favorite episodes
Crisha

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:55 pm Reply with quote
tygerchickchibi wrote:
And besides, I finally get the OST with the DVD, instead of buying it for $45 at Kinokuniya. It works out pretty well, imo.

If you want the original soundtrack, you're still gonna have to buy it separately. This LE only contains the rearranged and remixed version (which was also on the Japanese LE of volume 1, I believe).

Ultimatemegax on the Fandom Post forums has posted what all of the Japanese LEs contained:
Quote:
Quick comment on bonus items. Outside of the audio commentaries, AoA is including everything on the JP copies. There were no booklets, only production material collections (storyboards, original drawings, art boards, etc), which AoA tends not to include, so AoA couldn't add a booklet to these sets. Volumes 2, 4, 6, and 8 included drama CDs, which were incredibly unlikely to come over here. V1 had the remix/rearrange CD, V3 has the first Trigger production DVD (look for this in AoA v2), V5 has OST 2 (look for this in AoA v3), V7 has the second Trigger production DVD (look for this in AoA v4), and V9 has the third Trigger production DVD (look for this in AoA v5). The only other bonus disc that may be included would be the English cast interviews that'd replace one of the Trigger production DVDs most likely and/or AoA conducting their own interviews with staff members.

The bonus discs are likely why AoA split this into 5 volumes and why other countries get 3. Just a thought for reference.

So we're probably gonna get 3 production DVDs, the Remix soundtrack, and OST 2 as extras. OST 1 still needs to be bought separately if you want it though (which is now sold out through AoA).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:16 pm Reply with quote
I would've bought this if it were reasonably priced and it came with more than 4 episodes (I don't do singles anymore). But it's not and it doesn't.

Another show that I'm not buying. Thanks, AoA. Thanks for nothing.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:22 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth:
Quote:
60 bucks for four episodes is dire, just dire. For what extras? Post cards? A poster? What kind of person is still so impressed with that they're able to overlook the huge price? This wouldn't even have gone over a decade ago!

Likewise,I find it weird that with the many price complaints they have had over the last few years, Aniplex USA is yet to regularly use the rather common model of having a 12-13 DVD boxset sell for $50-$60.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:25 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, no. I'm waiting for the All the Anime's R2 release, which will be put out in 3 volumes instead of 5, and all together will cost about half of what AoA's charging. It's still a bit on the expensive side (totaling out at around an estimated $150 for all three releases) but it's most certainly better than the alternative.

At this point, I wouldn't give Hideki Goto a single red cent if he was penniless and living in a cardboard box. Confused
EighteenSky

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:29 pm Reply with quote
Interesting to hear the dub is great, certainly looks like a series that is made for watching with a dub. Shame I watched it subbed first as I just cannot muster up the will to suffer through this atrocity again, I was already at my limit the first time.

Quote:
such as director Hiroyuki Imaishi's prior works like Dead Leaves

So that's why they looked similar, I don't really look at directors or staffs previous works, perhaps I should. Really enjoyed Dead Leaves though.

Hellwarden wrote:
Also Mako wasn't ever funny to me. She's just goddamn annoying.

100% agree with you, she made me want to punch the TV every time she was on screen, worst excuse of a character I have seen in any medium. That is some achievement from whoever created her!
angieness

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:31 pm Reply with quote
Keep in mind it's only $30 for the regular DVD set, which is on par with the prices companies charged back in the day. I don't consider that impossible to afford considering I bought anime back then when I was going to art school and working a minimum wage job.

I bought the LE set because it was one of my favorite series in recent years and can afford to do so. I'm sorry if my spending money how I want to on a series offends people. I can't exactly feel remorse over spending money I want to spend on something I want. And apparently I'm not alone as the LE set was both on Rightstuf's trending list and their hot preorders list, so surely it's doing well enough.

But it's not like Aniplex hasn't made their series readily available on various legal stream sites, so it's not as though it's impossible to enjoy. I watched all of SOA on Netflix but didn't like it enough to plop down the money. If they made no effort to allow people to watch the series outside of their pricey releases, I would feel more sympathy for the people that think I'm super mean for paying AoA's prices.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:38 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
Oh boy! Here comes another Aniplex USA shit storm. I wonder if ANN should avoid covering anything AoA related to avoid these pointless discussion that will not change anything.

I'd rather just instantly lock the thread and have the review for people who want to read it than not have any critical discussion of the shows Aniplex licenses.

Some people arguing in circles on a forum can't be allowed to destroy our ability to write about something. That'd be silly.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:38 pm Reply with quote
angieness wrote:
Keep in mind it's only $30 for the regular DVD set, which is on par with the prices companies charged back in the day. I don't consider that impossible to afford considering I bought anime back then when I was going to art school and working a minimum wage job.

That's all well and good, but the problem is AoA doesn't really have a good reputation with their DVD releases. Their SAO and Blue Exorcist DVDs both looked absolutely terrible. I'm talking old Manga Entertainment bad.

I know beggars can't be choosers, but if you're going to charge $30-$40 per disc for only a handful of episodes, they need to at least look *good*. Confused
Doodleboy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:49 pm Reply with quote
I think the only problem I have with the dub is that Aikuro sounds a little too smooth. He doesn't have the campiness of his Japanese VA which makes him a bit less funny.

Alot of the reason the budget works is because of the director I think. I remember seeing a panel where Hiroyuki Imaishi's animation style is shown. It's basically alot of crazy poses with very little animation in between. In the making of documentary it shows him removing in-between frames from his animator's cuts.

So yeah, very crazy, very spontaneous, very little reliance on smooth animation so in other words perfect for this show.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:58 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:
Oh boy! Here comes another Aniplex USA shit storm. I wonder if ANN should avoid covering anything AoA related to avoid these pointless discussion that will not change anything.

I'd rather just instantly lock the thread and have the review for people who want to read it than not have any critical discussion of the shows Aniplex licenses.

Some people arguing in circles on a forum can't be allowed to destroy our ability to write about something. That'd be silly.

Locking the thread and still have the review would be the perfect solution. I would love for ANN to do that with anything Aniplex USA related.

And I agree with you on having critical discussions. The problem is that most folks seem to be only interested in arguing in circles.

Last edited by Angel M Cazares on Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Zalis116

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:58 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
3) Combining the language parallels, "kill" is an english homophone for the Japanese verb "kiru," which means "to wear,"
There's also another homophonous Japanese "kiru," meaning to murder/behead. To me, the middle "la" sort of invokes the passive form of either verb, "kirareru," making "kill or be killed" or "wear or be worn" possible interpretations of the title. The second phrase is frequently brought up in the show.
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:15 pm Reply with quote
Excellent review. It was very well done and really conveyed much of the show's style and high points, as well as its possible detraction. It was also pretty informative, especially with the explanation of the title, which I didn't know before (I thought it was just a flamboyant title for a flamboyant show Wink ). The dub sounded like it could be pretty good from the trailer, so I'm glad to hear that it might have turned out well.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 11