• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Justin Time

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jason_F

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:59 am Reply with quote
The Anncast I've been wanting to hear for a long time. Thank guys!!
Just Passing Through

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:37 am Reply with quote
Really enjoyed this ANNCast, very informative, and I get a little obnoxious satisfaction that Blu-rays are even more coder-unfriendly than they are user-unfriendly. All the quirks and niggles and player inconsistencies means that almost every disc that has a java element winds up annoying me, every release has a quirk. My most annoying discs, the X Files movies. Theatrical versions, no problem, Extended versions... do anything except watch (even pausing the disc is out), and my player crashes.

And who came up with the Blu-ray spec? Frame advance, we'll have that. Frame reverse... nah, leave that out! Here's an idea, we'll have this BD Extra/U-Control thingy where you can have picture in picture interviews and commentary with the main feature... Except that we can't have the fancy Hi-Def audio that you bought Blu-ray for work via Bitstream if you have that activated, and it's not an easy button to switch, you have to drop out of the disc and alter your player settings. And you remember those DVD players that could hold the stop settings and player selections of 100 discs in memory, great for watching anime at an episode a night. Forget it on non-java Blu-ray, and most java Blu-ray. I don't blame the big distros (especially Universal) for sticking with a menu system that works though.

So love HD video, love HD audio, love a format that you own as long as the disc lasts, not as long as a server stays switched on. Hate Blu-ray.

Very intrigued to hear that 24p 480 is an invalid format. I don't suppose Justin can mention how exactly he stumbled into that...

Apropos of nothing, I have three Justin authored titles in my collection. Uk collector so have to watch those region locks when it comes to importing. Anime Limited's Perfect Blue, which was hampered by the source material. Hanasaku Iroha, which has less of a Region lock than a Region latch, and is a divinely beautiful Blu-ray, and the penis with arms adventure, I mean space opera Outlaw Star on DVD, which looks fantastic, a lovely progressive transfer, although the disc menus...

I wonder if it's the disc authorers who lock the discs at the behest of the distros, or if that's something the distros do afterwards themselves?
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:46 am Reply with quote
Another good episode. It's a shame that BD seems so janky and the "spec" pretty much launched broken.
Waffitti

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:48 pm Reply with quote
Wow, didn't know BDs were THAT much of a pain. I wonder if we ever get a follow-up to BDs it will be easier to program.

Also, it's a damn shame that stuff like TO-Y will never get a proper remastering job (somewhat related note: Thank you Justin for the Buried Treasure column and for bringing attention to TO-Y, it's the first anime I watched were I was just amazed at the art direction).
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:34 pm Reply with quote
Waffitti wrote:
Wow, didn't know BDs were THAT much of a pain. I wonder if we ever get a follow-up to BDs it will be easier to program.

I don't know if anyone's seriously expecting another physical format, given the rise of digital and streaming. The follow-up might well be the HTML <video> tag, with high-bitrate video, accessed with JavaScript. Or native iOS and Android apps.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:04 pm Reply with quote
I love seeing brand new transfers that obliterate any old versions, especially when no intermediary HD remastered DVDs were available, like with Five Star Stories, Riding Bean, and others. I go back to Lodoss because of how stunning the difference is: there's just that ratty old VHS master and then a brand new BluRay.

I'd like to know if choices to go to cheaper film stocks were made after the bubble crashed, because most of the time when I see the cheaper OVAs from the early and mid 90s, they just look so much worse compared to 80s OVAs.

Last edited by walw6pK4Alo on Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Waffitti

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:33 pm Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
I don't know if anyone's seriously expecting another physical format, given the rise of digital and streaming. The follow-up might well be the HTML <video> tag, with high-bitrate video, accessed with JavaScript. Or native iOS and Android apps.

It's possible, but it will take a while for the technology used to produce media to evolve enough so that the difference between a high-res media file/tape and a compressed version of the same material for home video release can be notable enough to merit distributing another format (tough who knows what goes on the minds of the Hollywood bigwigs). Also, there will always be a market for physical versions of media, it's nice to have something you can hold on your hand that someone put time and effort into (don't know why but it's kinda funny to imagine a future where the manufacturing costs of 1TB flash drives go down enough that companies just put the files sent to them by the licensor as-is, slap on an anime-themed casing and call it a day).

walw6pK4Alo wrote:
I love seeing brand new transfers the obliterate any old versions, especially when no intermediary HD remastered DVDs were available, like with Five Star Stories, Riding Bean, and others. I go back to Lodoss because of how stunning the difference is: there's just that ratty old VHS master and then a brand new BluRay.

Don't know why but seeing comparison screenshots of cases like those just kinda fills you with hope man (even if the stuff that you want to see remastered will likely never get a new transfer).
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:07 pm Reply with quote
The film materials have to be out there, but as Justin said, shit's expensive to work with to bring to the kind of quality and presentation level needed for a nice BD. It's not only scanning the film, but then removing all the dust and debris that was present even on the original cels. Still, Japan spits some of the good stuff out, like Angel's Egg, and The Cockpit recently. It's gonna take a loooong time, but I have faith that many of the other old things we enjoy will be gotten to. There's just too many things to list that I'd want.
NeySnow

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:19 pm Reply with quote
The Sword in the Stone and a bunch of other Disney titles suffer from terrible transfers, its a real shame. Both Sword and Mickey's Christmas Carol seemingly have more detail on the DVD editions.

I couldn't believe how bad they are blurred.
bin1127

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:49 pm Reply with quote
"NSFW Language Warning: Yep!! "

is a pretty good preview of what's to expect. My guess is that blu-ray authoring is a fantastic job to have where you are respected by all of humanity and rainbows shoot across the sky after every successful disc made.
MeggieMay

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:54 pm Reply with quote
Enjoyed the show! You didn't answer my question... was rather relieved you didn't Laughing I've been obsessing in the back of my mind on that topic for the last few months and it kind of popped out on twitter when you asked for questions. Really, if I wanted to find all those easter eggs in Planetes I would actually go into the room the disks are sitting and open them up and watch the show but I've not done that so far, so I don't know why I even care about it Rolling Eyes Razz

Anyway, if you want to bring on Justin again in six months and talk more on this subject, I'd love to hear it.
KoujiTamino

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:56 pm Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
Waffitti wrote:

The infrastructure really isn't there yet for media to go all digital anytime soon. We can barely stream anything longer than an hour over here and good luck downloading anything larger than 1-2 GBs in any sane amount of time. An all digital future would pretty much lock out people like me.
Arsenette

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 1:21 am Reply with quote
Did I totally lunch and miss the whole thing on the Kickstarter Bluray for Time of Eve? I thought he was going to discuss that in detail? Or is it being held until we start receiving them? I just remember the blip from the live show that he was going to talk about that at some point, I might have mistaken that to be for this show.

Either way it was an awesome podcast. I was really curious about the process even if I'm totally a newb when it comes to anything Bluray. I admit having glazed eyes when he got to some of the tech stuff but appreciate him going through the whole thing in such detail that you can sense the frustration with how (needlessly) complicated it is.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2