• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Knights of Sidonia

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:36 am Reply with quote
Quote:

I'm not sure if it's the review or the show/manga, but that makes no sense (unless there's one unit with much higher trust power than the others). But if all the unit are the same, grouping up would not increase there trust since they all weight the same. If you apply a force on an object you'll get the same acceleration than applying twice the force on an object being twice as heavy, F=M*A and all (2*F=2*M*A, the 2 cancel and you're back to F=MA). They could get a range increase if there truster can only go at 0 or max speed, and by grouping up they only have one unit use it's booster at a time, but they'd accelerate way slower. I'm probably just reading it wrong thought.

The relation F=MA is valid only when the Mass of a system is a constant. Hint : it doesn't not apply to rockets that surprise surprise have a varying mass and guess what ? Part of the mass of the rocket is converted into thrust. The correct relation is dP/dt = F where P is the total momentum. The more mass is converted into thrust the greater the acceleration the faster you go. Therefore what is depicted in the anime is scientifically correct. And we have seen that Gardes actually can go out of fuel. The more Gardes you put together, the greater the mass but also the greater the mass that is converted into thrust (the available fuel). Hence higher speed and longer range. Smile

Ps : if you want a real life example of putting together identical systems to generate higher thrust just look at the famous soviet N-1 moon rocket (the first stage was composed of 30 rockets all connected together in contrast to the Saturn 5). It never got to the moon because the engineers couldn't resolve the synchronization problem between the tens of engines. But the concept was/is scientifically sound.
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:00 am Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
Barbobot wrote:
meiam wrote:

Quote:
and mecha traveling long distances in space unite in clusters to gain a collective speed and range boost.

What?

You know how the mechas would group up and all speed off together? This was because with the combined thrust they could travel farther distances faster than a single unit could by itself.

I'm not sure if it's the review or the show/manga, but that makes no sense (unless there's one unit with much higher trust power than the others). But if all the unit are the same, grouping up would not increase there trust since they all weight the same. If you apply a force on an object you'll get the same acceleration than applying twice the force on an object being twice as heavy, F=M*A and all (2*F=2*M*A, the 2 cancel and you're back to F=MA). They could get a range increase if there truster can only go at 0 or max speed, and by grouping up they only have one unit use it's booster at a time, but they'd accelerate way slower. I'm probably just reading it wrong thought.

(Emphasis mine) I am not an expert on physics, but the units are weightless in space, so it's all about momentum, isn't it? (I honestly don't know how it works...)
Barbobot

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:04 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:

(Emphasis mine) I am not an expert on physics, but the units are weightless in space, so it's all about momentum, isn't it? (I honestly don't know how it works...)

Weight and mass are 2 different things. They have no weight in space, but they have mass.

Last edited by Barbobot on Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Key

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:50 pm Reply with quote
I discussed that issue with my physics professor friend yesterday, and he assured me that unless the combining effort somehow multiplied, rather than added, the thrust (perhaps through some kind of synchronization effect?), there would be no practical benefit to the clustering for long-range travel in KoS. Cptn_Taylor's explanation doesn't work around that.

Director-Beck wrote:
I'm really against the C+ story rating considering that Attack on Titan, which as we've been over is (more likely than not) inspired by Sidonia, and as such has an incredibly similar story in a fantasy setting (This of course can be attributed to the fact different people reviewed them, but I don't really take that as a good enough excuse).

No, I also reviewed AoT in its entirety and gave it a B rating on story, so so you can make the comparison if you want. And for the record, "different people reviewed them" is always a good enough excuse for a seeming inconsistency in grading. Trying to imply otherwise just makes your arguments less credible.

Oh, and which one came first doesn't matter; even if AoT heavily borrowed from KoS, it still executed more effectively what it borrowed, hence the higher grade.

Quote:
If you boil Sidonia down to it's most basic story elements of course it's going to sound generic, anything does if you take away the story elements that make it unique.

My point has been that you don't need to "boil it down" for it to be generic; its characters and plot are generic through and through with only some details making the difference. And this is a case where I felt that the details were more a flavoring difference than a fundamental change difference. (Example: Adding bacon onto a hamburger doesn't change the fact that it is still fundamentally a hamburger.)

Quote:
His major lack of defining personality or identity, his horrendously awkward and oblivious interactions with the other people on the ship showed what his years of isolation had done to his social skills, more than likely his grandfather taught him little more than how to speak when it came to communication, as training Tanikaze to kill Gauna was top priority. This combined with not being photosynthetic like most of Sidonia's inhabitants, and his being an outcast because of his origins, makes Tanikaze one of the most (intentionally) socially inept Mecha characters that I can thin of.

Sorry, but you're massively stretching here. Nagate is used the way he is to give Izana and many of the female characters some excuse to interact with him. As an example of social ineptness he is ill-defined and unsatisfying. I had the distinct impression that the writers simply didn't know what to do with them.

Quote:

Also, two things on Lala
1. You're questioning a talking bear in a show with Giant Mechs, space travel, immortality, cloning, a third biological gender, and shapeshifting hell beast from space?

Yes, because of the elements you named, it's the most incongruous by far for the setting.

(Skipped commenting on some other points in the interest of time.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:15 pm Reply with quote
EyeOfPain wrote:
#820119 wrote:
When it comes to MY THOUGHT PROCESS, in the Neon Genesis Evangelion area / Knights of Sidonia area...The gauna being killed by a specific spear like weapon(think it was a three letter word that started with E) = Lucifer(the one with the seven eye 'face') that was impelled by the lance of longinus(may have mis spelled this word). So yeah... while watching KoS, and seeing the gauna get killed by a specific only spear/material, made me think of lucifer being impelled by the lance of longinus in NGE.

spoiler[The Angel inside Terminal Dogma is Lilith, not Lucifer. I don't think there was even an Angel named "Lucifer" in Evangelion.]

The spear in Sidonia is a Kabizashi, and the Gauna are surrounded Ena.

Thanks for the corrections Eye of Pain, I am glad you caught what I meant, so others reading can understand clearly.
meiam

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:14 pm Reply with quote
Cptn_Taylor wrote:
The relation F=MA is valid only when the Mass of a system is a constant. Hint : it doesn't not apply to rockets that surprise surprise have a varying mass and guess what ? Part of the mass of the rocket is converted into thrust. The correct relation is dP/dt = F where P is the total momentum. The more mass is converted into thrust the greater the acceleration the faster you go. Therefore what is depicted in the anime is scientifically correct. And we have seen that Gardes actually can go out of fuel. The more Gardes you put together, the greater the mass but also the greater the mass that is converted into thrust (the available fuel). Hence higher speed and longer range. Smile

Ps : if you want a real life example of putting together identical systems to generate higher thrust just look at the famous soviet N-1 moon rocket (the first stage was composed of 30 rockets all connected together in contrast to the Saturn 5). It never got to the moon because the engineers couldn't resolve the synchronization problem between the tens of engines. But the concept was/is scientifically sound.

The first part is right, but there's no special effect that happens when the fuel is burned, it's just that M go down therefore A go up since F is constant. Adding the unit together doesn't change anything, the percentage reduction of the mass (I should have used mass and not weight in my first post, my bad there) will be the same if one or multiple unit are together.

Also this effect is very important in rocket because most of the rocket is fuel and fuel tank part, which are discarded as the rocket is send in space. But the mech in the show have most of there mass in there limb/weapon and such, fuel would only be a very small part of the overall mass. The exact same effect is present when we drive car, but we don't really take it into account since the weight of the car isn't mostly located in the fuel tank.
EyeOfPain

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:20 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
Also this effect is very important in rocket because most of the rocket is fuel and fuel tank part, which are discarded as the rocket is send in space. But the mech in the show have most of there mass in there limb/weapon and such, fuel would only be a very small part of the overall mass. The exact same effect is present when we drive car, but we don't really take it into account since the weight of the car isn't mostly located in the fuel tank.

Perhaps the Gardes are made of a super-lightweight, yet strong, alloy, and most of their mass does come from their fuel. It's never said the mechs are made of steel, is it?
egoist

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:43 pm Reply with quote
The story of the few episodes I watched were a cluster of cliches much like Twilight except this was intended at mecha/anime fans.
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:10 am Reply with quote
EyeOfPain wrote:
meiam wrote:

Perhaps the Gardes are made of a super-lightweight, yet strong, alloy, and most of their mass does come from their fuel. It's never said the mechs are made of steel, is it?

Exactly. We don't know the engineering specifics of the Gardes. How much fuel they carry and how much the fuel represents of the overall mass.
I mean the principle showed in the tv series is scientifically sound. That cannot be debated as we have real life examples of such systems being used rockets being the most obvious one. As to what kind of metallurgy science they have 3000 years in the future well that's an open issue. I think we can assume that whatever material they use it will have very different caracteristics from any material, even the most strong materials we have on earth.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:29 am Reply with quote
Pretty sure that the theory only works if the Gardes' weight is "mostly" fuel, but I haven't run the numbers.

But we're making even more of a fundamental assumption that the thrusters work using basic rocket principles.

I would say it's more likely that they use some kind of combination rocket + Higgs particle magic that super accelerates the exhaust (maybe by warping space a little bit), and that the Higgs magic effect is what is magnified by combining into formation.

If they are based more on a wave resonance idea then that sort of formation could allow a larger particle wave and thus a larger effect.
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:44 am Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:
Pretty sure that the theory only works if the Gardes' weight is "mostly" fuel, but I haven't run the numbers.

Actually no. Rockets are not mostly fuel hence why they need to be multistage to achieve orbital speeds. Once you expend the fuel of a stage you eject that stage so the next one has less mass to accelerate. With current technology a single stage rocket wouldn't be able to go into orbit if launched from the Earth.

Now imagine a Saturn 5 single stage rocket that is mostly fuel and whose weight (excluding the fuel) is 1 ton (let's say a 3000 years future engineer came back in time with exotic materials). If you do the calculation you'll find the rocket can achieve orbital speed with no problem at all.

As an aside, single stage to orbit is possible on the moon because of a less intense gravitational field. Think the LEM taking off the moon and having a rendevous with the command module in lunar orbit. And the LEM was not mostly fuel.

Now coming to the anime, Gardes are designed to operate in space like the LEM. They don't need to be mostly fuel.

samuelp wrote:

But we're making even more of a fundamental assumption that the thrusters work using basic rocket principles.

I would say it's more likely that they use some kind of combination rocket + Higgs particle magic that super accelerates the exhaust (maybe by warping space a little bit), and that the Higgs magic effect is what is magnified by combining into formation.

If they are based more on a wave resonance idea then that sort of formation could allow a larger particle wave and thus a larger effect.

I think the propulsion is working according to basic action/reaction rocket principle. I mean if you watch the anime it is shown the Gardes are actually ships designed to operate only in deep space. Get near a massive body and their flight path becomes difficult to control because of the gravitational field of the planet. Damn there's even an episode in which Nagate's Gardes is retrofitted with an exprimental canon that throws off the centre of mass of the mecha hence it becomes increasingly difficult to control. The show goes a long way to be as realistic as possible in depicting these things. And it does it way better than most other mecha anime.
I think we can give the writers a little bit of slack if they don't have the principles of classical/quantum mechanics textbooks by their side when animating this thing. Wink
If we start invoking technobabble then everything is possible and the anime just losses what makes it so original. So I can't really agree with you on this point (using higgs particles to magically accelerate the ship by warping the space around it etc...)
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:33 pm Reply with quote
As I always wrote, Theron is usually the kindest soul towards anime, so having him rating this show as a C+ on story means that it is really, really beating of a dead horse in terms of concept and scenario events. This might mean that if I will try to watch it, all I will be doing is facepalm moves like "Oh no! Not again!"

But, to be fair, it could go that way for me, but there are a lot of people who like this genre, which is always about more or less the same thing. People know where it goes but they still like it.
Agent355

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:20 pm Reply with quote
^To be fair, I really enjoyed the show and its take on tropes and I am not a mecha fan. It has a hard scifi feel more than mecha or space opera (which tend to mix magic with their scifi). Take that as you will.
meepsheeps

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:14 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
^To be fair, I really enjoyed the show and its take on tropes and I am not a mecha fan. It has a hard scifi feel more than mecha or space opera (which tend to mix magic with their scifi). Take that as you will.

I agree. I need more of these types of hard sci-fi shows btw. Someone send me recommendations.
omiya

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:15 am Reply with quote
meepsheeps wrote:

I agree. I need more of these types of hard sci-fi shows btw. Someone send me recommendations.

Planetes might fit your bill.

Satoshi Kon's short "Memories" is also fairly hard sci-fi, as is the movie Royal Space Force (even to the use of Hydrogen as fuel in the upper stage).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7