• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Anime Sols Launches Streaming Campaigns for Dororo, Gordian

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:05 pm Reply with quote
u6064vision wrote:
A $2 to $25 pledge might seem a little more realistic to me for just a sub stream but even that is still a little silly.

Luckily, these drives are more like Kickstarter in that you choose exactly how much you want to spend, unlike the DVD drives that use strict & specific pricing tiers. So if you want to toss in only $2 then you certainly can. Maybe that might encourage more pledging since it's up to the individual now instead of being forced to spend a specific minimum amount, like how Kindaichi R's forced minimum is $40 for the DVD set itself.
F-Man

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:09 pm Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
u6064vision wrote:
A $2 to $25 pledge might seem a little more realistic to me for just a sub stream but even that is still a little silly.

Luckily, these drives are more like Kickstarter in that you choose exactly how much you want to spend, unlike the DVD drives that use strict & specific pricing tiers. So if you want to toss in only $2 then you certainly can. Maybe that might encourage more pledging since it's up to the individual now instead of being forced to spend a specific minimum amount, like how Kindaichi R's forced minimum is $40 for the DVD set itself.

Yep, exactly. People could just contribute a few bucks and it would still be very much useful and appreciated because of how low the goals are.
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:44 pm Reply with quote
For people complaining about the lack of a DVD option, this isn't any different than paying Crunchyroll for shows which you probably just wanna watch without necessarily owning.
medama_oyaji

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:51 pm Reply with quote
I've seen the fansubs of the first few episodes, and it's been really great watching them again on Anime Sols. I think this has an advantage that it's been partially fansubbed, and there are people who like want to see more, but the fansubber moves pretty slowly (juggling all sorts of projects) so if we can fund this first batch that will already be several episodes past where those following the fansubs have seen.

I pledged $26 for this first set, $2 an episode. I'm hoping this catches some steam and I can pledge a little less for the next set, because I don't have a lot of money to spend on anime, but this is something I'd really love to see. And Anime Sols is an endeavor that I'd love to see succeed as much as possible.

Honestly, taking into consideration that I will probably pay around $30-$50 for the whole 26 episodes, if this does lead to a DVD campaign, I'm not sure if I'll be able to pledge for that as well. As much as I'd love to own a DVD set of this series, my first priority is that I'd just like to SEE it. And if pledging for streaming is the way it's gotta be, so be it. Maybe this way I'll end up spending a little less money anyhow! Laughing And who knows, by the time both sets are (hopefully) funded, maybe my opinion will change and I'll love the series so much I'll just HAVE to own it, or I'll end up with a little more disposable income to put towards the set!
Fronzel

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:17 pm Reply with quote
The thread's been all about Dororo so far, but I wonder how this will work for Gordian. Dororo's going to need two sets of funding to complete the series, but Gordian will need five or six.

Lord Geo wrote:
Now, let's say that Dororo's subs get fully paid for. Since those costs would be a non-factor for the DVD drives, we could reasonably remove them from the total costs...

I wonder if that will actually be the case. You'd think Sam Pinansky would have mentioned something that significant in the recent ANNcast he was on.

In the beginning he said that going over the funding goal for a DVD set would reduce the goal for subsequent sets in the series but that never materialized in a meaningful way.
F-Man

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:53 pm Reply with quote
Fronzel wrote:
In the beginning he said that going over the funding goal for a DVD set would reduce the goal for subsequent sets in the series but that never materialized in a meaningful way.

That is actually not surprising in the least considering how well the Double Up promo worked out. Basically the 3rd Creamy Mami set only received about $10,000 and the 2nd Dear Brother set maybe about $7,000. Similar deal with Black Jack set 2.

So some subsequent sets did get major funding goal drops, when you remember that whole promo happened.

Last edited by F-Man on Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:16 am; edited 1 time in total
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:55 pm Reply with quote
Fronzel wrote:
The thread's been all about Dororo so far, but I wonder how this will work for Gordian. Dororo's going to need two sets of funding to complete the series, but Gordian will need five or six.

Lord Geo wrote:
Now, let's say that Dororo's subs get fully paid for. Since those costs would be a non-factor for the DVD drives, we could reasonably remove them from the total costs...

I wonder if that will actually be the case. You'd think Sam Pinansky would have mentioned something that significant in the recent ANNcast he was on.

Originally, when we were planning the costs out, the subtitling cost was budgeted into the overall site running costs. We budgeted for about ~50 episodes per month of new subtitle content.

So the DVD goals that were put up did not really include the subtitling costs in them as part of the production cost. It was really just royalties, authoring, manufacture, design, and productions of the package goods.

We've cut down on the running costs of the site by only putting up 3 episodes and asking for support to stream the rest. Unfortunately that means that no, the DVD goals won't be lowered much from before, as the cost for the subtitling itself was never included in them.
If we put out a DVD goal for Dororo, for example, I would expect it to be about equal to Dear Brother's goals...
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:16 am Reply with quote
I feel this whole subbing/streaming of older and rarely discussed anime would be much easier if someone like CrunchyRoll were forced to take them on and then be obligated to see them through, much like what they do have to do with any bombs of shows that no one watches like the new Kindaichi.

GATSU wrote:
For people complaining about the lack of a DVD option, this isn't any different than paying Crunchyroll for shows which you probably just wanna watch without necessarily owning.

It is different. Your CR subscription is a base fare that allows you watch any anime available on the site (limited to your global region). You're not paying by the series.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:27 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

It is different. Your CR subscription is a base fare that allows you watch any anime available on the site (limited to your global region). You're not paying by the series.

It's also different because even if you don't contribute you'd be able to watch the streams if they're funded on Anime Sols.
The money isn't a payment for the right to watch the stream, it's contributing the funds to make the stream possible for everyone.

So you can think of it as paying money so theoretically "many" people can watch the show.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:49 am Reply with quote
To be honest I wish this was a release on DVD.
agila61

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:00 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
... much like what they do have to do with any bombs of shows that no one watches like the new Kindaichi.

I'm confident that the "no one watches" is false hyperbole. If nobody was watching, nobody would be commenting about the episodes as they come out.

Indeed, with the series 6%+ funded with 180 days to go, the nobodies who don' twatch it could well be joined by nobodies who also don't watch the DVDs.

And with the "The Warrior, Gordian" stream 8%+ funded and the "Dororo" stream 20%+ funded, there're going to be more nobodies not watching the streams of those series as well.
TonyTonyChopper

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:48 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Even as a fan of old anime, there's still a line that's drawn once I get to about 1969/1970. The low budgets and lack of animation just become too noticeable and the shows are still like 100+ episodes long. I'd rather see Cleopatra and Senya Ichiya Monogatari be Tezuka's representative anime of that era.
Are you kidding me ? as a fan of old school anime you need to see this kinda stuff i even have the Japanese dvd set of Dororo to me Anime couldn't be old enough.

I curse upon the anime industry in the west that they can't just release things like this on DVD easily because there are only a few things actually sell .... and whatever rolls out new for a bit....
That doesn't satisfy my hunger at all !!! i like good new stuff just as any other but i also want all Tezuka anime on dvd etc.

And those people that say Akira is a classic and really old just go .... yourself they don't know anything ... if they would just be a bit more open minded Sad
spinja446

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:32 am Reply with quote
TonyTonyChopper wrote:
you kidding me ? as a fan of old school anime you need to see this kinda stuff i even have the Japanese dvd set of Dororo to me Anime couldn't be old enough.

I curse upon the anime industry in the west that they can't just release things like this on DVD easily because there are only a few things actually sell .... and whatever rolls out new for a bit....
That doesn't satisfy my hunger at all !!! i like good new stuff just as any other but i also want all Tezuka anime on dvd etc.

And those people that say Akira is a classic and really old just go .... yourself they don't know anything ... if they would just be a bit more open minded Sad

I was born in 78' and I can tell you that Westerners that watched anime or knew what it was between mid-late 80's didn't even know what Dororo was or even of it's existence. How can "You curse upon the anime industry" and Westerners when we in the 80's had not a clue what anime even was and that goes for Westerners in the 70's.

Me and the few friends I had that watched cartoons in the mid 80's were calling things like Dirty Pair and Galaxy Express 999 "Cartoons". The word "Anime" finally came around in the west around late 80's. Anime then really started to become relevant all through the 90's. Especially when the anime OVA boom started to make a wave in the west as well as stuff like Speed Racer. You act like Dororo was a freakin' hit in the west and would be a hit now in 2014.

You should know Astro Boy is probably Tezuka's most well known work in the west. Even I knew what that was in the 80's. If you asked me what Dororo was in the 80's I'd look at you and say "Nope never heard of it." This was a time when internet was hardly a thing. I bet even the anime industry in the west as small as it was in the 90's never took an eye or blink at something like Dororo. Something so far in a Japanese vault somewhere would never be considered. Especially when something like Astro Boy would cast a huge shadow over it in terms of really classic old anime.

I'd love to know when you actually knew of Dororo's existence for the first time and Tezuka's other works. Were you the only person in 95' with Dororo fandom and posters plastered up on your wall? You can't damn an entire industry then expect a Dororo release to be the biggest hit now even bigger then Attack on Titan.

Akira by all counts is a classic and has stood the test of time. Practically everyone around the world knows about it and more generations in the future will even know about it. I can't say the same about Dororo. Dororo is a classic "old" anime but it doesn't hold a grand history you want it to be in the west. I'm opened minded enough to watch any kind of anime no matter how far it dates back but the stuff you are trying to damn on todays anime industry isn't our fault. Anime in the 80's was few and far between and probably scarce to anyone in the late 70's if you didn't live in Japan.
TonyTonyChopper

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:45 am Reply with quote
spinja446 wrote:

I'd love to know when you actually knew of Dororo's existence for the first time and Tezuka's other works. Were you the only person in 95' with Dororo fandom and posters plastered up on your wall? You can't damn an entire industry then expect a Dororo release to be the biggest hit now even bigger then Attack on Titan.
I may have been a big harsh but that's just how i feel about this matter.

And make no mistake about Akira i love it but i took it as an example for what many people take for old school anime ... and i woudn't even consider as.
Well the world classic is always a tricky thing cause it could have different meanings within 10 years pepole might call AOT a classic while i don't refer to anyting that way that is somewhat recent.

As to when i got into Tezuka and a fanboy of all of his work's not before 2009 ... and that was still only Astro Boy but that is also to blame where i live.
I came into anime as late as the year 2000's having only seen some stuff before not knowing that it even came from Japan in the 1990's.

As for the stuff i saw in the 2000's it really all came down to series like Pokemon,Digimon,DBZ etc and when the anime wave crashed here it took some years before getting back into DBZ again in 2007 which eventually let to Otaku mode and my big love for Tezuka in time.

So i wasn't a fanboy of Dororo in 1995, i even was only 3 years old in 1995 but that doesn't hold me back from loving Tezuka's work today and a lot of other classic anime now.
And the frustration of not getting access to a lot of stuff and having to import Japanese dvd's that i can't even understand for the most part.... i still think that's not fair because i do care but they don't care about me because other people don't care.
spinja446

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:57 am Reply with quote
TonyTonyChopper wrote:

And the frustration of not getting access to a lot of stuff and having to import Japanese dvd's that i can't even understand for the most part.... i still think that's not fair because i do care but they don't care about me because other people don't care.

Maybe in a perfect world people care about what you want and you'll always get what you want at your own leisure... but it's not.

But the good news is that things are slowly turning around. Japan has slowly been releasing their very own Region 2 anime with English subs. Even though these type of releases are few and far between it's a start and maybe in the future we'll see more releases of imports with English subs on them already.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3