• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Anime Sols Launches Streaming Campaigns for Dororo, Gordian

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:09 am Reply with quote
TonyTonyChopper wrote:
Are you kidding me ? as a fan of old school anime you need to see this kinda stuff i even have the Japanese dvd set of Dororo to me Anime couldn't be old enough.

Maybe Dororo is different and actually has a budget and artistry, but most of the [TV] stuff from the 60s is barely animated and uninteresting to me. Even with a pristine BD, I doubt I'd try out Attack No 1 or Star of the Giant for more than an episode or two. Some things are just too old for personal enjoyment. For me, it ends around the early to mid 70s for TV anime, for some it ends around Evangelion.

Dororo obviously has some kind of high caliber Tezuka pedigree bred into it, but that's apparently an exception for the time.
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:24 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

Maybe Dororo is different and actually has a budget and artistry, but most of the [TV] stuff from the 60s is barely animated and uninteresting to me. Even with a pristine BD, I doubt I'd try out Attack No 1 or Star of the Giant for more than an episode or two. Some things are just too old for personal enjoyment. For me, it ends around the early to mid 70s for TV anime, for some it ends around Evangelion.

Dororo obviously has some kind of high caliber Tezuka pedigree bred into it, but that's apparently an exception for the time.

Star of the Giant and Attack No 1 are great sports anime (and I understand that most american anime fans hate this genre which in my opinion is a real pity). Even if they're from the late sixties. The spirit of those 2 animes is like that of Rocky (the first film) 10 years before the american film was made. They're very long series and you should watch 1-2 episodes max per day. The enjoyement will be there. Sometimes the story aspect manages to capture you in ways that are beyond the technical prowess or mediocre quality of the animation.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:57 am Reply with quote
And again, those are probably the best among examples I could have chosen because they're among the most influential and well known. I doubt many are clamoring to see Space Ace, Perman, Osomatsu-kun or the Genie Family. But overall, there are so few 60s shows that with diligence, you could actually watch them all, if you were insane like that.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:00 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
I doubt many are clamoring to see Space Ace...

For what it's worth, Anime Sols will be streaming episodes 1-3 of Space Ace starting the 26th of July.
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:24 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
And again, those are probably the best among examples I could have chosen because they're among the most influential and well known. I doubt many are clamoring to see Space Ace, Perman, Osomatsu-kun or the Genie Family. But overall, there are so few 60s shows that with diligence, you could actually watch them all, if you were insane like that.

The good shows are always few and far between but you have choosen well. And you wouldn't need to be insane to watch Attack N 1 or Star of the Giant. Just be cool enough to watch 1 episode per day (no need to do absurd marathon viewing sessions).
F-Man

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:07 pm Reply with quote
spinja446 wrote:
Were you the only person in 95' with Dororo fandom and posters plastered up on your wall?

Ooh, I have one of those! Sort of.

Maokun

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:56 pm Reply with quote
The only bad thing about Dororo is that the manga was unfinished. The premise of the series was fantastic and the execution, elegant, hitting perfectly eerie and dramatic heights. I'd gladly have followed that manga for many more volumes. Does the anime end at the same point of the manga?
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:04 pm Reply with quote
Maokun wrote:
The only bad thing about Dororo is that the manga was unfinished. The premise of the series was fantastic and the execution, elegant, hitting perfectly eerie and dramatic heights. I'd gladly have followed that manga for many more volumes. Does the anime end at the same point of the manga?

Actually, the anime has a conclusive ending!

And since this is early tezuka we're talking about it's not some crappy anime original ending but the ending Tezuka wanted in the first place for the manga. The anime provided him the opportunity to end it unlike the manga.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3