• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Fate/stay night Anime is 'Unlimited Bladeworks,'

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Beized

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 5:12 pm Reply with quote
konqueror wrote:
Beized wrote:
Because I'd argue that its a flawed adaption, with some genuine merit. And the central story of FSN only comes together when you have Fate, Unlimited Blade Works, and Heaven's Feel. Everyone says "Play the VN", but that's 80 hours of reading, for a story that is at its most interesting after you're done and reflecting back on the whole experience. That sounds much more intimidating and repellent than watching a few seasons of anime.

Yeah, reading must be hard sometimes...

No, readings not hard, but that's not the point. The point is it's 80 hours. That is a huge time commitment, regardless of what you're doing! Even if you add up Fate/Zero, the original anime, the UBW movie, the new Ufotable UBW, and the new Heaven's Feel movie you're looking at less than half that amount of time, which seems a lot more palatable.

This isn't coming from a place of ignorance. I've read the VN. I LIKE the VN. But that doesn't change the fact that it starts off poor, it's translation is weak, it contains a fare amount of content that is just embarrassing, and it's a medium which not a lot of people have engaged, or even care to.
KH91

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 5:24 pm Reply with quote
The bone of my sword just got bonier with UBW and HF.
LuckyAstei

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 6:43 pm Reply with quote
I just hope eventually a proper adaptation of Fate is done after this. That way people can wipe away the old DEEN series out our collective memory.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
ShinnFlowen

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:09 pm Reply with quote
I am glad they are taking the time to give Fate UBW the proper adaptation it deserved because they skipped and rushed a number of important dialogue/fight scenes.

Personally, I think you can straight out skip the Fate Stay Night and use Fate/Zero as your first series because you understand the background of Shirou, Rin, Saber, Illya, and Mr Priest.

[/spoiler]
Videogamep

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:27 pm Reply with quote
Mmmmmmmmmmmeow wrote:
MY expereince with fate and the watch order

I started with fate zero when I had no idea what fate was. I fell in love with the show.
I then watched the 2006 fate stay night anime, and honestly thought it was one of the worst animes I had seen in awhile. I HATED the main character. I continued watching it just because I wanted to know what happened after fate zero, so I endured. All said and done I was glad I watched it.
Then I watched the unlimited blade works movie and I thoroughly enjoyed it. On its own I can see why people think its a bad movie and rushed, but honestly, if you have seen fate stay night and have an idea of the events taking place, then UBW is extremely easy to follow, and a GREAT watch.
I then started playing the visual novel and wow, eveything makes sense. The visual novel is great but the main thing is that it explains everything, the 2006 anime is bad because you can't read the main character's mind. The visual novel explains what he's thinking and it honestly COMPLETELY changes your opinion of the anime.
I have since rewatched fate zero, fate stay night and UBW and my final impressions are that fate zero is great, watch it in any order. Fate stay night is a shitty anime that only the dedicated of fans will be able to endure, and UBW is a very good movie if you know what is going on, don't watch it without having read/seen fate stay night.

TL;dr fate zero = great
fate stay night = shit but endure through it if you really, really want more fate
IF AND ONLY IF you read/watched stay night UBW movie = great
visual novel = REALLY GOOD but long investment

I watched Zero a few months ago and then Stay Night about a month later and my impressions of both was that they're not as bad or as good as people say. Zero, while very good, was hard follow at first with all the characters and concepts being introduced so quickly and the ending was very unsatisfying. The fight between Saber and Berserker was rushed after episode 23 and Saber, Kirei and Gilgamesh never got any resolution to their stories.

Deen's Stay Night, while not as good as Zero wasn't terrible and is easier to follow after seeing Zero. I know Stay Night has it's problems (average-mediocre animation, Shiro sometimes got annoying, sex/dragon scene in episode 15 was laughably bad) but it was decent and I would recommend watching it after Zero but before the remake. I wouldn't recommend the UBM movie since, while good, is kind of pointless seeing that Ufotable's going to adapt the storyline and do a much better job than any movie can.

tl;dr: Zero's really good but not perfect. Stay Night's good but not as good as Zero. Watch order: Zero - Stay Night (2006) - skip UBW movie - Stay Night (2014)/HF movie(s).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
EyeOfPain

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:38 pm Reply with quote
#814572 wrote:
The fight between Saber and Berserker was rushed after episode 23 and Saber, Kirei and Gilgamesh never got any resolution to their stories.
Well, yeah... their stories are still going on in Stay night.
Sifixs

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:55 pm Reply with quote
Ok, I like the fate route anime, so I want to know why everyone is saying that is a bad adaptation, please tell me the differences between the anime and the visual novel fate route.
Videogamep

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:01 pm Reply with quote
Sifixs wrote:
Ok, I like the fate route anime, so I want to know why everyone is saying that is a bad adaptation, please tell me the differences between the anime and the visual novel fate route.

I don't know all the differences since I didn't play the VN but the scene with the CGI dragon was a sex scene in the VN and the whole storyline with Caster capturing Sakura was added. There was a plotline involving her in the VN but it was very different and was a part of Unlimited Blade Works, not Fate.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:38 pm Reply with quote
That's cool. If they're going with a remake (re-adaptation?) of already done material it makes infinitely more sense to do UBW. I fully maintain that the DEEN adaptation is fine. Hell, it actually has less structural/pacing issues than Fate/Zero. Could it be improved upon? I don't know. I don't know the source material so I'm not sure what the difference is. But I hardly feel like a remake is some big necessity for what is, at worst, a pretty good show when taken on its own merits. On the other hand, is there anyone out there who actually thinks the UBW movie is remotely workable as a stand alone piece? It seemed like a fundamentally bad idea to me which is why I never saw it. And now I'm rather glad I didn't since evidently I'll now get to experience that story path for the first time as a full length TV series.
Dark Absol

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:09 pm Reply with quote
If it's the 'Unlimited Blade Works', this does not bode well for Illya fans. :/
Ali07

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:55 pm Reply with quote
I've been meaning to check out this franchise, but held off as it was around the original announcement of this new anime...as I wanted to know what the new one was going to be about.

So, I can skip on the Unlimited Blade Works movie, and just go from Zero->Night->Unlimited Blade Works TV->Heaven's Feel movie(s), yeah?
ShinnFlowen

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:07 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
That's cool. If they're going with a remake (re-adaptation?) of already done material it makes infinitely more sense to do UBW. I fully maintain that the DEEN adaptation is fine. Hell, it actually has less structural/pacing issues than Fate/Zero. Could it be improved upon? I don't know. I don't know the source material so I'm not sure what the difference is. But I hardly feel like a remake is some big necessity for what is, at worst, a pretty good show when taken on its own merits. On the other hand, is there anyone out there who actually thinks the UBW movie is remotely workable as a stand alone piece? It seemed like a fundamentally bad idea to me which is why I never saw it. And now I'm rather glad I didn't since evidently I'll now get to experience that story path for the first time as a full length TV series.

If you want to see some decent action sequences and a quick introduction to the fate stay night universe than Fate UBW movie does an okay job, but those who wanted to see the contrasts between Fate UBW, Fate Zero, and the default Fate Stay Night path saw an incomplete product that was severely chopped into pieces. The whole arc (in non spoilers) is about Shirou Emiya and his self discovery through seeing the consequences of blindly following a dream, which is shown in both Fate/Zero in the first arc of Fate/Stay Night.

The movie:
skipped a fight scenespoiler[ Saber vs Caster's Master]
play down the relationship between spoiler[Rin and Shirou]
skipped interactions between spoiler[Archer and Shirou after the caster incident]
minor details were not mentioned at all or displayed, spoiler[making Archer's comment seem pointless because emiya was replicating blades as if it were a simple feat. In reality, the magic was extremely taxing for him.]
A servant's speech is completely butchered. spoiler[Archer's reveling of his past does not seem as dire as it really is.]
Other character interactions were skipped
BOMHAT

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:12 am Reply with quote
I am still super excited for both upcoming adaptations, but I can't help but feel a little disappointed. From just one route alone you can't get the whole story, so I was counting on them doing an original route. UBW already got a pretty good rendition if you read/watched fate or ubw. hf is getting a movie. so all that leaves is fate. all fates got is a shitty adaptation.
fates probably my least favourite route, the character development was too selective, and completely took away any potential importance of the other characters, and shirou played the annoying cliched hero role, but parts of it are essential in wrapping up the story led on by fate/zero.

I can see why they've decided to do UBW, it's a lot better than fate and the last point of focus from fate/zero was shirou, and how kiritsugus ideals have been passed on to him. Shirou played a much more important role as the protagonist in ubw than in fate, as well as coming to terms with himself more conclusively.
buuuuutttttttt spoiler[saber and gilgamesh are also extremely important characters and i don't think its a smart move to kill off gilgamesh before a bit of redemption like in fate. He was just such an important guy i don't want him to just die like he did in hf, nor do i want him to be killed of his own arrogance like in ubw. the gilgamesh of fate/zero was a better, more developed and intelligent character than that. and i wouldn't say saber finds total redemption either in hf or ubw. and you can't just do that to saber i mean.. saber's purpose for participating in the grail wars was pretty important in fate/zero, they ought to give her a proper ending.]
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:30 am Reply with quote
Regarding the sequence the shows should be watched in:

Deen's FSN: Yes, you should watch it *first*. It's not a great adaptation, but it is not, IMO, a horrible one, either. Most importantly, it introduces you to the backbone of all the other storylines. So, yes, see it.

Deen's UBW: This is better animated than FSN. Of course, it's got a movie's budget, so that's to be expected. The problem is that they had to cram a lot of stuff into a short time: the UBW storyline is a good bit longer than SN. Stuffing it into a movie hurt it, but it's still a pretty decent movie.

UFOtable's F/Z: This is a prequel to FSN. However, it was NOT written by the guy who wrote the original VN, though he approved the plot, IIRC. This is extremely well-animated, but I'd say it definitely has its strengths and weaknesses. Definitely worth seeing, IMO, but hard to follow (especially at first) if you aren't familiar with the world (remember what I said about it being good to see FSN first).

Anyhow, that's my suggestion for the best order to watch the existing material.
jl07045

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:05 am Reply with quote
Ali07 wrote:
So, I can skip on the Unlimited Blade Works movie, and just go from Zero->Night->Unlimited Blade Works TV->Heaven's Feel movie(s), yeah?

Skip the DEEN F/SN. Putting aside whether it was a good adaptation or not (it wasn't), unless you're a completionist, it will be almost useless aside from one story line once the new anime arrives. Besides it will spoil you some of the story. I highly doubt the creators will expect people to watch an 8 year old show. They might expect that you've watched Fate/Zero. The overall rules aren't actually that hard to get unless you want to know everything in tiny details. Go with Zero->UBW TV->Heaven's Feel or better yet F/SN VN->F/Z LN or anime->UBW TV->Heaven's Feel. And, yes, the visual novel is a grind at times and will take at least 50 hours to read.

As for UBW movie, it's totally useless now. A couple of decent (And a couple not) fight scenes was all it was good for and Ufotable has already surpassed that in the PV.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6