• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - What's The Criterion?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eragon2890

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:31 am Reply with quote
I am a huge anime freak but a few of the movies he mentions I haven't even heard off... even tough I am a huge otaku www
Top Gun

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:08 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
It's just a shame that this collective lesson about faithfulness to original presentation got thrown out the window when people encountered older 4:3 content on their newer 16:9 TVs. Now people set their TVs to "Permastretch Everything" Mode and demand widescreen versions of fullscreen content, on dubious grounds like "The calendar says it's [some random year], get with the program and give me widescreen, 4:3 is soooo outdated!" And that's how we get Dragonball CroppZ: The Oversaturated Saga.

I feel like there has to be some sort of market out there for some nice 4:3 LCD displays. They'd be great for applications like this, as well as retro gaming.
Sarkozy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:09 pm Reply with quote
I'd much rather have a work from say, Jacques Rivette or Bela Tarr enter the Collection before any sort of anime feature. I mean, they've made so much progress getting great directors in there this year like Lynch, Hawks, Demy and Almodovar. Simply from a film fan point of view and not an anime fan.

They've only got like 50-60 releases a year, I'd much rather see them expand on the directors already in the Collection or add more directors from around the world. Like Rivette or Tarr. I'd much rather see them add more films like Marketa Lazarova or Letter Never Sent. But hey, that's just me. Rolling Eyes
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:08 pm Reply with quote
angieness wrote:
I would love to see Criterion do a massive and loaded set of Satoshi Kon's work on BD, I would pay the hefty price tag for it. But it's sadly not feasible when so many different companies have the rights to his stuff.

Lord knows I've been asking this since the man left for that great animation studio in the sky.

RestLessone wrote:
I was just thinking about this. A Yuasa work would be lovely, or perhaps something by Satoshi Kon. I would love to upgrade from my Tokyo Godfathers DVD. Though, to be honest, I really want The Plague Dogs or Watership Down to receive treatments before these.

I was only happy Criterion bothered with Watership Down at all, at least fetched it out of the depths of the "Kid Vid" sections across America.
http://www.cartoonbrew.com/internet-television/criterion-will-release-watership-down-on-itunes-101548.html
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:11 pm Reply with quote
You know what's missing from Criterion's hallowed selection? Beavis and Butthead Do America on BluRay.

Top Gun wrote:
I feel like there has to be some sort of market out there for some nice 4:3 LCD displays. They'd be great for applications like this, as well as retro gaming.

If you're someone who watches a lot of 'Scope films, 16:9 is already a middle ground. Maybe having large 16:10 displays would be even better for all around general video use.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:38 pm Reply with quote
I ended up buying that Patlabor release solely because of this article.
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:01 pm Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
I ended up buying that Patlabor release solely because of this article.

At least you took the cue.
Joe Carpenter

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 3:59 pm Reply with quote
I hate to say this, but if Criterion never released anime during the "boom years" I see no reason to think they'd do it now

I'd love to be proven wrong, but.....
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:17 pm Reply with quote
Joe Carpenter wrote:
I hate to say this, but if Criterion never released anime during the "boom years" I see no reason to think they'd do it now

I'd love to be proven wrong, but.....

Despite the fact they bothered to release one thing that time. It's all film snobbery really.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6