• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Harmony Gold to Release Robotech/Super Dimension Fortress Macross DVD Set

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chrno2

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:28 pm Reply with quote
Harmony Gold is still alive? How is that even possible? Well, we definitely need to see that series again. But now all we need is Discotek to release Macross next. No "Pineapple salads" included.
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:43 pm Reply with quote
lunaitc wrote:
Reminder that anyone who purchases this is helping Harmony Gold to remain in business and thus ensuring that Frontier and DYRL are not released for at least one more decade.
This. All of this. Not to mention Zero and personal favorite cheese-fest, M7.
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:44 pm Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:
Harmony Gold is still alive? How is that even possible? Well, we definitely need to see that series again. But now all we need is Discotek to release Macross next. No "Pineapple salads" included.
They're a very crooked business if you start to look into their owner and business practices. And like most crooked businesses, they're able to stay afloat through unscrupulous means.
wohdin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:58 pm Reply with quote
Angel'sArcanum wrote:
I...don't know about this...having them both under the Robotech brand is odd. Is it that hard to ask for things to be simple and pure?

When it comes to Harmony Gold, yes.

Inb4 they manage to botch this... again.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:02 pm Reply with quote
Apollo-kun wrote:
Chrno2 wrote:
They're a very crooked business if you start to look into their owner and business practices. And like most crooked businesses, they're able to stay afloat through unscrupulous means.

Yeah, that's pretty much how it goes. But many it's just amazing that they somehow held on. I mean what have they been doing all this time that has kept them afloat. Hell, I even remember some stories my late friend used to tell. It should have been a done deal for him.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:13 pm Reply with quote
I already have the sub-only AnimEigo release from years ago, not buying anything under the "Robotech" banner. Anyway, the only thing that would get me to buy SDF Macross again would be a new English dub, since the ADV one is almost as terrible as Robotech. (Just because Mari Iijima can speak in English, doesn't mean she can act in it.)

What I really want is a high quality Macross Plus release. And no, I'm not importing the Japanese release, because there are no subtitles. I'm not putting up with that English dub, either.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Polycell

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:01 pm Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:
But many it's just amazing that they somehow held on. I mean what have they been doing all this time that has kept them afloat.
They're also into real estate, which is probably it.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:09 pm Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
Chrno2 wrote:
But many it's just amazing that they somehow held on. I mean what have they been doing all this time that has kept them afloat.
They're also into real estate, which is probably it.

They also sell a bunch of merch and rely on fans who obsessively cling to what amounts to a rewrite.
EyeOfPain

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:20 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
What I really want is a high quality Macross Plus release. And no, I'm not importing the Japanese release, because there are no subtitles. I'm not putting up with that English dub, either.
Not a fan of Bryan Cranston?
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:22 pm Reply with quote
EyeOfPain wrote:
penguintruth wrote:

Cranston doesn't voice every single character.
the-antihero

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:23 pm Reply with quote
Piss off Harmony Gold, I'm sticking with the redub that had Vic Mignogna and <3 Monica Rial <3 leading the show. Not the less edited Americanized version you put out for the at the time more xenophobic market.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:32 pm Reply with quote
EyeOfPain wrote:
penguintruth wrote:

Not in Macross Plus, I'm not. But it's mostly Myung's VA that destroys it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
EyeOfPain

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:33 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
EyeOfPain wrote:
penguintruth wrote:

Cranston doesn't voice every single character.
Maybe he should have.
mdo7

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:33 pm Reply with quote
gravediggernalk wrote:

Everything is screwed because the Japanese companies have been fighting amongst themselves about who owns what, and Harmony Gold's contract, that may or may not be legal to begin with because of that issue, has allowed them domain over everything Macross (even those that they've never touched) in various regions. I've read a website (could've been an Answerman, could've been something else entirely) quoted a year that Harmony Gold's contract would supposedly run out . . . supposedly.

Just assume that anything Macross will not be receiving much of an English language release (this article being one of the rare exceptions) spoiler[until the clusterfuck has been sorted] or a company that really wants one of the series is willing enough to put up the money to sub-license it from Harmony Gold AND willing enough to give Harmony Gold more money for their cut of the profits.

Yes I'm aware of the dispute between Studio Nue, Tatsunoko, and Big West. I'm aware this lawsuit has caused a lot of complications and confusion over the ownership.

Mr Adventure wrote:

The one thing to keep in mind is that Harmony Gold doesn't distribute their own content. They own the material rights, but doesn't have the means to make and distribute their own discs. So they license it to other DVD publishers. In the past its been Animeigo and ADV. Now its Lionsgate.

Well thanks for the info, now I understand this a lot better.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jr240483

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:00 am Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Is there anything special about this after the ADV/HG set? Also, way to be so 20th century, Macross is out on BD in Japan, and I just bet this is going to be using that old master with the bad colors, the one the ADV set had.

This is Harmony Gold we are talking about, the masters of patent trolling and not caring.

that s an understatement of the decade.

if they really cared about the series, they would have allowed the other macross series to be licensed about now. especially maccross frontier.

and from the looks of things , their not releasing the uncut english dub version of maccross when ADV had the license.

in other words dont bother getting this release.

now i am all for supporting a series to purge out fansubbing and illegal streaming, but i would make an exception for this case cause they haven't done right to macross at all and to be frank are no better than 4kids even worse.

And if fans make their message clear and make sure their sales tank, hopefully that company will finally go six feet under just like 4kids and/or with it their hold on the macross license so the franchise,especially frontier can be finally be licensed in the US.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6