• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Making A Living in Manga in Japan

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:36 pm Reply with quote
StudioToledo wrote:
Galap wrote:
This may surprise you, but most western animations, especially high profile ones like Family Guy and South Park have budgets many times higher than even the most expensive TV anime.

You can thank mega-corporate Hollywood for that.

Yeah, most of that money goes into areas other than paying animators, though you can bet the animators in the West get paychecks that can actually support them. Sad to say, but if you applied that kind of payment to the Japanese animators, it's bye-bye late night anime (including stuff like Space Dandy and Psycho-Pass, before any jackass makes a dumb comment.)
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 5:21 pm Reply with quote
Galap wrote:
This may surprise you, but most western animations, especially high profile ones like Family Guy and South Park have budgets many times higher than even the most expensive TV anime.

Have you seen the animation quality of south park? AFAIK Family Guy (like other brand Fox productions) are animated in Korea (or China, which is less expensive than animating inside Japan), so if you are telling me that those animations have equal or higher budgets per episode than your average late night anime, either they are embezzling the money (because greed is legal) or they are spending it in something unrelated to animating the series (like walw6pK4Alo already said).
Ali07

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 12:04 am Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
Ok, stand up, take two steps back and re-read what you just wrote. The series you mention have awful levels of animation, the plot is oriented towards adults but the budget they have to make those must be abysmal (that archer one reminds me of clutch cargo Anime hyper ).

Sorry, I was only addressing the point of an "adult animation marketplace" in the west.

walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Sure those comedies tend to be more adult in humor, but they're no replacement or even within the same realm of what I look for in anime.

I'm not a fan of any of the shows I listed. I was just saying, there are animated shows for adult audiences that have established an adult market. Bob's Burgers is another show that can be thrown in there with the rest.

But, they are all comedies. So I understand what you mean when you're saying that they don't cater to what you look for and have found in anime.

As for the whole budget talk, they probably do have a larger budget. But, that doesn't get funneled into making the animation quality better...the shows I mentioned either don't really need it or are animated the way they are due to stylistic choices (South Park, Archer, and Bob's Burgers being examples). Yes, South Park looks the way it does on purpose. It's a form of stop motion animation, which can be a painstakingly awful process, and they do it all with paper cut outs.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2