• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime Programming in the US

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Violynne

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:39 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
And watching if "for free" on Adult Swim is like watching it on HuluPlus ~ there are both the advertisers paying, plus the carriage fee paid by all cable subscribers to Cartoon Network.

Where do the advertisers get their money?

Statements like this need to stop removing the consumer from the equation when they're not directly paying for the content.

We're all paying for ad-supported content even if we're not consuming the content the ad pays for.
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:24 pm Reply with quote
Considering the purchase of physical discs (which I happily take part of) is forgetting the whole media mix approach. If I pirate a show, and buy the soundtrack, or a vastly marked up PVC figure am I less valuable of a customer than someone who merely watched an ad-blocked stream? Even if they left the ad on?

What're those ads for? To buy things. As long as you put money in the system somewhere you can live guilt free. The animation studio is just one of many people on the Production Committee for our anime. If we all spend our limited dollars on just the physical discs, then there'd be less money going to the other initial investors.

Spend what you want, when you can.
agila61

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:50 pm Reply with quote
Violynne wrote:
agila61 wrote:
And watching if "for free" on Adult Swim is like watching it on HuluPlus ~ there are both the advertisers paying, plus the carriage fee paid by all cable subscribers to Cartoon Network.

Where do the advertisers get their money?

From the people who buy their goods and services, whether or not they saw the content and accompanying ad and whether or not the ad changed their mind about buying the good or service.

But the point at issue here is that its not really "revenue free" viewing like a torrent download or leech video stream ... somebody is giving money to the creator of the content, which is why the creator (or their agent) exercised their rights to allow or deny copying to grant the right to that streaming distributor.

H. Guderian wrote:
Considering the purchase of physical discs (which I happily take part of) is forgetting the whole media mix approach. If I pirate a show, and buy the soundtrack, or a vastly marked up PVC figure am I less valuable of a customer than someone who merely watched an ad-blocked stream? Even if they left the ad on?

You are loading enough different moving parts into your hypothetical to make it difficult to disentangle the details ...
... but if you pirate a show, and buy the soundtrack, you are not worth anything to whomever put money into the budget for video licensing rights, but are worth something to whomever put money into the budget for soundtrack rights. If you pirate a show and buy a "vastly marked up" PVC figure, you are not worth anything to the party that put in money for video licensing, but are worth something (through sometimes not as much as people imagine) for whomever put money into the budget for merch rights.

On the various surveys that people use, the large majority of bootleg viewers are simply freeloaders of no use to anybody, but a small minority is, in fact, of use to one or more members of the production committee. They would be of more use if they consumed legit video content where available.

Quote:
What're those ads for? To buy things. As long as you put money in the system somewhere you can live guilt free.

Whether or not someone feels guilty about trampling on the rights of the creators of the media to specify who can and who cannot copy their work is more a psychological question than a logic puzzle. Some people do, some people don't.
yuna49

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:33 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
You are loading enough different moving parts into your hypothetical to make it difficult to disentangle the details ...
... but if you pirate a show, and buy the soundtrack, you are not worth anything to whomever put money into the budget for video licensing rights, but are worth something to whomever put money into the budget for soundtrack rights. If you pirate a show and buy a "vastly marked up" PVC figure, you are not worth anything to the party that put in money for video licensing, but are worth something (through sometimes not as much as people imagine) for whomever put money into the budget for merch rights.

I thought the point of "production committees" was to pool risk and share the various revenue streams. In some cases, like shows produced by A-1, Sony owns the whole shebang from Sony Music to Aniplex so pretty much all the revenue accrues to them at some point. For more conventional productions with committees consisting of the usual mix of players (Kodansha, King Records, etc., etc.), aren't all the revenues shared? If not, what's the point of treating anime as an advertising vehicle for manga? When Chihayafuru's manga sales boomed after the anime began airing, are you suggesting Madhouse saw none of those revenues from the print side?

I'd like to hear Justin comment on this.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:46 pm Reply with quote
@Agila61

Merch sales, of which soundtracks are a part of, overshadow the revenue of actual anime content by an order of magnitude. That's industry-wide for most shows, and double and up for some of the most popular shows like One Piece or Detective Conan. For merch, anime might just as well be advertising...
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:16 pm Reply with quote
Hitokiri Kenshin wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
If you have to rewrite a show to suit American tastes, maybe it shouldn't have been licensed to begin with. Or, you know, you could dub it faithfully anyway and let the chips fall where they may.

Japan does that to our cartoons too.

No different from any country really.

penguintruth wrote:
Drac wrote:
It's a shame but I'm glad they didn't go anywhere near the Shin Chan films. Those look way to great to have some terrible gag dub be only audio track.

I've always wanted The Adult Empire Strikes Back to find its way here, but hopefully uncut and bilingual.

Lord knows that was up FUNimation's alley had they got it.

Zalis116 wrote:
Kudo wrote:
Every time you watch something for free, you are taking something away from the next project…

Someone tell that to all the Japanese viewers watching 100% legal latenight TV broadcasts that anime studios not only don't profit from, but actively pay TV stations to show. Why not abandon TV altogether and just create a "Japanese CR" and stream everything with ads for the discs/merchandise or ad-free for a subscription fee?

You know that'll take another generation for any of that to happen given how the current guard can't stop loving their printed shimbuns and terrestrial broadcast/BS receivers.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2