• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Parasyte Anime's Cast, Staff Revealed

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
v1cious

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:00 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
So they're rectonning older characters and making them emo and moe, too, huh? I have a bad feeling about this, now. That'll it be as terrible as that Guyver tv anime.

I'm just glad to see Madhouse taking a risk such on an old property. Since it's a completed series, they don't have to phone in the ending. Hopefully this becomes a trend.
RyougaZell

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:26 pm Reply with quote
The magazine was called Mixx Zine, not Mixxine. I still have my old volumes. Never got around to finish Parayste when the magazine shifted names.
Bloodgod

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:39 pm Reply with quote
Hate to pile on here, but Shinichi's design is all wrong.

Though, I imagine that they will have him lose the glasses and slick back his hair to match up to when he starts looking more like a badass in the original. (and probably add some bit about his eyesight being better with the Parasyte DNA)

Murano and the others mostly look great to me, though. I expected some updating, and you can definitely see the original characters inspiring those designs.

Marzan wrote:
Aya Hirano is an interesting choice as Migi, I expected it to be a very male voice for some reason..

Indeed. I expected exactly the same, and that is always the type of voice my mind assigned to him as I read it. A cutesy girl voice for him is just as bad to me as the re-designed MC.

Not sure either way about this so far... but good to see some news about the anime adaptation. I'm not interested in the live action version.
Ali07

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:30 pm Reply with quote
Never really been into horror/gore, but I'll be checking this one out. Don't know much about the manga, aside from it having finished up in the 90s.

As long as I don't find the start to this one too predictable, like I did Tokyo Ghoul, I may stick around. Some of that does depend on how I find the horror/gore element of this one. Tokyo Ghoul's wasn't bad, but might be due to the censors. Laughing

Since the manga has finished, I'd stick around in the hopes that this adaption is long enough that it'll have the manga's ending. For those who have read it, how many episodes would this series need to do a good adaption and reach the manga's ending?
zawa113

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:33 pm Reply with quote
Wow, they look nothing like their manga counterparts at all. I'm not dooming the series flat out though, as brand said, it's about how they act. Though I find Shinichi having glasses to be very very odd. Due to something that happens in the manga, I am going to assume he won't keep them for long. Usually, any character that combines somehow with an alien always gets rid of their glasses (I'm think Birdy the Mighty: Decode here). Hopefully just a fresh coat of paint I guess. Not the most off-putting "looks way different than the manga" character designs I've seen *cough* Flowers of Evil *cough*
But it's not like badass characters can't have glasses, Yuki Okamura is pretty badass, he wears glasses. He looks like he should be pure nerd (not that he isn't very smart), but he's quite badass too.

Also, as others said, I was expecting Migi to have a male voice, that's how I read the manga.
Rensie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:36 am Reply with quote
I really hope they don't f*ck up the adaption like the Princess Resurrection one where they remove the gore and change the plot.
They have the whole and complete manga, they just have to follow it.
Apart this i sorta like the new character design.

Finger crossed.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:12 am Reply with quote
zawa: He has glasses to appeal to the otaku, which is another reason to hate that demo.
danilo07

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:01 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
zawa: He has glasses to appeal to the otaku, which is another reason to hate that demo.

I doubt it, there is no reason to pander to the otaku audience because this show will air on NTV which means that they care more about TV ratings rather than BD sales.
Perhaps there a stylistic reason why they chose this art style?
Agent355

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:20 pm Reply with quote
I assume he'll lose the glasses early on. Gaining superpowers usually means losing glasses, Like Spider-Man (actually, Clark Kent/Superman would be the classic example, wouldn't it?)

I hope Migi has more of a creepy voice than a cutesy voice, maybe even with some electronic pitch shifting.

I don't like how different Shinichi looks from his manga counterpart, but Migi looks good (as in weird and unsettling), and that's more important.
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:59 pm Reply with quote
I knew about the Parasyte manga from the old ads of the early 2000s, but wasn't really interested in it or the upcoming adaptation, but now I most certainly am. I thought there was something familiar about the animation character designs, so I was shocked to see a big personal favorite in Hiramatsu behind it (too bad he's not doing the animation direction, too). It's an unexpected mix and it peeks my interests a little bit, along with a still-potent Madhouse's involvement, but I still don't know about the show in of itself. At least it should have a good chance at looking good with the studio & TOHO producing it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dezakore

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:55 pm Reply with quote
Finally! I've been waiting years for an anime adaptation. With the new character designs, Hopefully it'll be worth the 10+ years wait (fingers crossed)
Ali07

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:52 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
I assume he'll lose the glasses early on. Gaining superpowers usually means losing glasses, Like Spider-Man (actually, Clark Kent/Superman would be the classic example, wouldn't it?)

I always thought Spider-Man is the classic example.

Superman is weird. Some comics show him in his teens using glasses, but I thought the widely accepted use of his glasses was to hide his superhero identity by using glasses as Clark Kent.

Now, I just had a look at how the characters look in the manga. The differences are interesting. I can only assume that they were made to have this fit in with the contemporary anime art style.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:32 am Reply with quote
OMG. This kind of anime is still getting produced ?
My heart can´t take all the excitement.
This could also lead to an adaptation of Historie. I can beleave i am saying this but 2014 isn´t a bad year for anime. Maybe the low if final over. At last. And he will lose the glases for shure. Just like Peter Parker.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 2:25 am Reply with quote
Tadashi Hiramatsu! character designs are not good! go with the original! a lot of the manga fans will be very disappointed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2