• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Today in History: Kiki's Delivery Service

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:05 pm Reply with quote
ANN needs to stories like this more often I think.
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:38 pm Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:
Every review for Disney's dub VHS pointed out how much more laid-back, upbeat and storytelling Miyazaki's movie was compared to the corny melodrama in Disney films (like Pocahontas and Hunchback) that had set in after Lion King--One review said, "If Disney had made Kiki, Kiki would have had to rescue Tombo in the middle of a raging thunderstorm..."

And then I saw the JP trailer for the live-action Kiki...Where Kiki rescues Tombo in the middle of a raging thunderstorm. Rolling Eyes

Finally their long-distance prayers have been answered! Razz

tcdelaney wrote:
It's one of the few cases as well where I can't decide if I prefer the original Japanese (with English subs) or the Disney dub. In particular, Phil Hartmann's performance as Jiji is inspired, and I feel the extra dialogue they gave to him really worked.

"Kiki, can you hear me?!?" (yes, I kid)

See no comments for Carl Macek's version of the film, I will say it's one of Lisa Michelson's finest performing roles before her untimely death.
Jex2193

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:19 pm Reply with quote
I think I've only seen the Streamline English dub version once and I don't remember it. .-.
Wish I could find it again....
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:22 pm Reply with quote
Jex2193 wrote:
I think I've only seen the Streamline English dub version once and I don't remember it. .-.
Wish I could find it again....

I know where it is, but I'm sure the admins wouldn't like me posting a link here even with a "Spoiler" tag.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:52 am Reply with quote
Kiki's Delivery Service is also likely the highest-selling anime in N. America of all-time, with at least 1.2 million copies sold:

• Suzuki, the president of Studio Ghibli, says "We take it from (the cost of 350 million yen ) that they (Disney) are serious about this release." The interest in Ghibli films in the US is quite high. "Kiki's Delivery Service," which was released on September 1st in the US and Canada, has already sold 900,000 copies. It will surely sell more than 1.2 million copies before year end.
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:29 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Kiki's Delivery Service is also likely the highest-selling anime in N. America of all-time, with at least 1.2 million copies sold:

• Suzuki, the president of Studio Ghibli, says "We take it from (the cost of 350 million yen ) that they (Disney) are serious about this release." The interest in Ghibli films in the US is quite high. "Kiki's Delivery Service," which was released on September 1st in the US and Canada, has already sold 900,000 copies. It will surely sell more than 1.2 million copies before year end.

Not bad for 1998 really.
nargun

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:01 pm Reply with quote
Northlander wrote:
They coupled Ponyo with Princess Mononoke? Man, that's a harsh tonal shift, given Ponyo's complete and utter childish innocence followed by a movie where someone is possessed by black, slimy tentacles that makes his shootin' arm take people's arms or heads clean off.

Well, totoro was originally coupled with gotf: double-features need tonal contrast.

My bookshop hasn't been able to acquire a copy of the novel in english, so I'd say it's OOP at this point.
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:44 pm Reply with quote
nargun wrote:
Northlander wrote:
They coupled Ponyo with Princess Mononoke? Man, that's a harsh tonal shift, given Ponyo's complete and utter childish innocence followed by a movie where someone is possessed by black, slimy tentacles that makes his shootin' arm take people's arms or heads clean off.

Well, totoro was originally coupled with gotf: double-features need tonal contrast.

My bookshop hasn't been able to acquire a copy of the novel in english, so I'd say it's OOP at this point.

I don't believe the book was ever translated commercially to begin with, at least going by Amazon.com on the matter proves my point. Seems like you're not the only one asking for this at all, I'm sure plenty that had watched the film got curious to look for the book and went empty-handed if they didn't know Japanese at all. At this point you'd think someone would step up to that challenge.

Here's an article from "Japan Quarterly" published in 1978 if that helps. (if the link doesn't work, copy the entire text as there's an asterisk included).
http://api.ning.com/files/htALzRGjnNRDxrVvNQKAJr6oZKRRFS-opXW6B0dJWOuBfiUdGCboeXjEw8XW26x9yim2nE-B1ohbWVnAPPHC9uAgN5GJm*tO/GraveofFireflies.pdf
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:35 pm Reply with quote
StudioToledo wrote:
nargun wrote:
Northlander wrote:

I don't believe the book was ever translated commercially to begin with, at least going by Amazon.com on the matter proves my point. Seems like you're not the only one asking for this at all, I'm sure plenty that had watched the film got curious to look for the book and went empty-handed if they didn't know Japanese at all. At this point you'd think someone would step up to that challenge.

Here's an article from "Japan Quarterly" published in 1978 if that helps. (if the link doesn't work, copy the entire text as there's an asterisk included).
http://api.ning.com/files/htALzRGjnNRDxrVvNQKAJr6oZKRRFS-opXW6B0dJWOuBfiUdGCboeXjEw8XW26x9yim2nE-B1ohbWVnAPPHC9uAgN5GJm*tO/GraveofFireflies.pdf

Actually, I'm fairly certain it was translated to English by a Canadian publisher called Annick Press back in 2003, you can find used copies on Amazon, but they're pretty expensive and it's basically out of print now. I remember when the news first came out that it was going to be translated to English and I was super-excited --- but then I saw the cover, which left a bad taste in the mouth, so I never got around to buying it even though I promised myself I would eventually. It would be nice if someone picked it up again for release, but the movie's pretty old by this point, so the chances seem kind of slim.
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:15 pm Reply with quote
Kikaioh wrote:
StudioToledo wrote:
nargun wrote:
Northlander wrote:

Actually, I'm fairly certain it was translated to English by a Canadian publisher called Annick Press back in 2003, you can find used copies on Amazon, but they're pretty expensive and it's basically out of print now. I remember when the news first came out that it was going to be translated to English and I was super-excited --- but then I saw the cover, which left a bad taste in the mouth, so I never got around to buying it even though I promised myself I would eventually.

Sometimes it can be a "You snooze, you loose" factor in all of it.

Bothering to look up Annick Press for the moment, I hardly see any listings for them having put out the book at all, though I haven't tried using archive.org if I have to there. I don't have the time to go hunting down this information as it is. I've already spent that time years ago finding stuff nobody cared about.

Quote:
It would be nice if someone picked it up again for release, but the movie's pretty old by this point, so the chances seem kind of slim.

Well the film's still well remembered around some circles. I'm too use to the film to the point I can watch it without flinching. That's how rather cold I've become. Though I suppose I have yet to fully feel it unless I have to be in a warzone to experience it firsthand.

Then there's always this (got a friend to send me some a few year back and I never opened the damn thing, simply for posterity sake)...
SynergyMan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 3:35 am Reply with quote
The JAL dub was a pretty good dub for a 1990/Japanese involved dub. Way better than the inaccurate Disney version, with the horrible celebrity voice acting and stupid dialogue inserts. I admit that it was a good thing Disney eschewed that from the 2010 edition, but the dub still sucks. There's only 1 minor script change in the 1990 dub, more than I could say for the Disney dub. The JP version still is the best, due to the all star voice acting cast, but the JAL/Tokuma Shoten dub is also good. I hate how this is the last VA cast in Ghibli films.

@enurtsol I think Final Fantasy Advent Children, Shell, DBZ, SAC, Gundam Wing and Blood have all sold more.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2