• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Anime Production Companies, Manga Publishers Crack Down on Piracy

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eragon2890

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:25 pm Reply with quote
Thank god it's focused on China, a lot of the stuff avaliable for free in the USA costs 35 euros or so per season here in the Netherlands, that's not fair so I watch it in hd online. Very Happy For free. :3 Jay!! Very Happy
Panoptican

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:27 pm Reply with quote
" The Ministry of Economy estimated damages of two trillion yen (US$19.6 billion) from America in 2013."

These are the damages from anime in manga in a single year from America? Lol, no way. Not that I condone piracy, but it's hard to take them seriously when they throw out BS numbers like that.
Barbobot

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:28 pm Reply with quote
Veniamin wrote:

File-sharing is not piracy, hence why it's called "File-SHARING." not some gimmicky marketing scheme, but me sharing shit for you and it's up to you on how you'll buy it, if you really loved the product.

Downloading copyrighted material from file-sharing sites is illegal in multiple countries. Why is this something that even has to be argued?
acetatsujin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:32 pm Reply with quote
And then if they do take down such named websites those people plus new members will span from no where to make new groups, stronger hostings and better torrenting.

Its thanks to those fans that people purchase goods. I purchase a shit load of goods but I can't speak for others at all. I'm speaking for myself.

I wanna see them try to take down Nyaa ... lol, this is hilarious. -sits back and watches-

And to those who still sit there and side with the copyright holders. I wonder how much shit you are missing out on. Just stay there and wait. I sure hell will never do that.

Looking forward to more fan translated media.
ムギまる

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:37 pm Reply with quote
Barbobot wrote:
Veniamin wrote:

File-sharing is not piracy, hence why it's called "File-SHARING." not some gimmicky marketing scheme, but me sharing shit for you and it's up to you on how you'll buy it, if you really loved the product.

Downloading copyrighted material from file-sharing sites is illegal in multiple countries. Why is this something that even has to be argued?

SHHHH! You are mentioning facts!
ZeetherKID77

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:38 pm Reply with quote
What we NEED to curb scanlations is the equivalent of GOG.com for manga like what Ken Akamatsu has set up with J-Comi. DRM-free downloads, no stupid "read it on the site" smeggery like with JManga. If they want to stop it they need to see where they failed.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:38 pm Reply with quote
acetatsujin wrote:
Its thanks to those fans that people purchase goods. I purchase a shit load of goods but I can't speak for others at all. I'm speaking for myself.

I do not think you are alone, if music pirates buy more music than non-pirates, the same must be true for anime fans.

The simple truth is that thanks to this pirates that anime ever became popular outside japan, if they had some kind of magical power to prevent VHS or scanning of images then this forum, this site and the whole gaijin anime community would be a pipe dream.

I repeat myself, chrunchyroll WAS a pirate site, but they had a moment of lucidity and thought "if you can't beat them, join them!", why can't they do the same with manga? Why are they so obtuse and obstinate like a 2 year old trying to fit a triangle inside the circle hole?

ムギまる wrote:
Barbobot wrote:

SHHHH! You are mentioning facts!

No, he is creating a smoke screen. Consumption of many drugs is illegal in the USA, that has not stopped its consumption, some laws are not fit to deal with certain problem and people rallying behind such ineffective laws does not help at all.

Last edited by mangamuscle on Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:46 pm; edited 3 times in total
prime_pm

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:39 pm Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
Yeah good luck with this....

Get rid of one site and more emerges to take its place.

*whispers* Hail Hydra
Touma

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:44 pm Reply with quote
Barbobot wrote:
Downloading copyrighted material from file-sharing sites is illegal in multiple countries.

And even if the downloading is not illegal the uploading would be, unless the person who uploads the file has permission from the copyright holder.

acetatsujin wrote:
I purchase a shit load of goods but I can't speak for others at all. I'm speaking for myself.

What would you do if those sites did not exist?
Would you not buy anime and manga at all?
That is not sarcasm. I really am curious about that.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Veniamin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:45 pm Reply with quote
Barbobot wrote:
Veniamin wrote:

But copyright is a bullshit scheme to turn AWAY from money you're getting. Good job losing potential customers.

If we use your logic, then me buying an anime DVD, ripping from the CD and sharing with others who are interested is illegal? Forgetting that they maybe, hmm.. they want to buy it too?

Hell, Crunchyroll did the same thing and I'm positively sure most people use Crunchyroll.
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:47 pm Reply with quote
Ah, this is great news, it's nice to see Japan putting an even tighter clamp down on the piracy scene. I'm not sure how long it'll take, but hopefully the Wild West days of the internet will end in the not-so-distant future.

rankothefiremage wrote:
Agreed, also thous "estimates of damages" assume every item pirated is a lost sale, Which i feel are the minority of pirates, most either wouldn't have spent money in the first place or use downloading to see what they want to buy.

Well for one, the pirates who wouldn't have spent the money shouldn't be able to view the work in the first place. As for whether people download to sample what they want to buy, Kodansha had an interesting article a few months ago about how piracy no longer factors into industry decisions about what to license.

Veniamin wrote:
Uh, yeah you do. why do you think people try to take cameras with them in the movie theaters, place it on a Disc and try to sell for profit for THEMSELVES and not by the Company's permission? Of course that would be naturally illegal.

Well, piracy is basically taking something that's not yours, and technically those illegally generated copies used for file-sharing actually belong to the original content creator. And if "Pirates Bay" is any indication, most pirates don't exactly agree with your definition, so maybe you're just splitting hairs.

Veniamin wrote:
If we use your logic, then me buying an anime DVD, ripping from the CD and sharing with others who are interested is illegal?

Yes. You didn't know that's illegal? Not only are you breaking DMCA by cracking the DVD encryption, you're also breaking copyright law by creating an unauthorized copy of the work. Whether the people you share with might subsequently become interested in buying the work is irrelevant to whether or not it's illegal (and anyways, you could have always just lent them the legal copy you already owned).

Last edited by Kikaioh on Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:51 pm; edited 2 times in total
jr240483

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:49 pm Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
Yeah good luck with this....

Get rid of one site and more emerges to take its place.

which is why the us should have passed sopa and pipa which would have helped with the online piracy.but the big thing that will help is making acquiring licensing rights more cheaper and easier. also companies like nintendo will have to release pokemon eps with official subs and also have the english dub that's using the original japaneese scripts. otherwise that anime series will always be prone to fansubbing groups. the same with other popular anime series in japan that never got released in the US.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
rankothefiremage

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:50 pm Reply with quote
Also in the case of shows i can't get state side like Nanoha StrikerS, first i did by seasons 1 and 2, but i've also brought a number of secondary items like figures, since there is no legit release of the 3rd season over here.

Note to self photograph collection and submit it to shelf life.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Dfens

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:58 pm Reply with quote
To me it's a waste of time especially trying to go after the pirates in China the capital of pirating and bootlegging of the world.

If they were really serious sue someone and win a actual judgement where money is awarded and a lot of of these pirates would think twice about licensed content available for purchase.

But you will never shut down streaming or more importantly torrents since they are based over seas or are parts of a file that come from various individuals.

As for if they waived a magic wand and all pirated content disappeared I would have nothing to spend my extra income on which is a lot and be much richer. No more figures, all the DVD/Blu-Rays, and official Manga or other goods. They'd be shooting themselves in the foot. Yeah I can watch shows and read manga raw if I had to but I'll be damned if I will import them that way and at Japanese prices. I'd rather give up the hobby all together.

I'm buying so much stuff that I don't even have time to watch or read it since I work so much but I still keep buying more and more since I can afford it. Without sampling the content for free and at time of release first I would never drop that kind of money on blind buying.

Problem their is a large number of people who fall into the group of pirates who will never buy anything no matter how low the price is, and you can't count them as lost sales when they never were potential customers in the first place. Still these companies like to think they could get revenue from them and like to complain that their losing money when in fact they never had a chance to collect in the first place.
mgosdin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:59 pm Reply with quote
I can't help but wonder if this is for show more than to really achieve anything regarding "piracy".

The thing is, as has been said repeatedly, these pirate sites are like the Hydra, chop the head off and two more sprout from the stump. It was designed that way, it's hard to break the Internet & Web, the US DOD worked to make it so.

So, some sites will go down, some people may get arrested and after a few weeks or months the situation will come back around to status quo ante.

The fireworks may be fun though.

Mark Gosdin
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 14