• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Equal Crime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ji-L87

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:55 am Reply with quote
Listen, people, getting mad at a guy because he criticizes a game where you undress people on the street just puts you in a bad light.

You might like the game, and that is fine. In fact, if I had a Vita I'd be interested in this game as well. But you can't deny that it's essentially something that wouldn't be out of place sold by a guy behind a table at a doujin convention.
And while we could very well be in that same queue to that vendor,
it being a niche title doesn't give it some kind of free pass to criticism - it's not like it'll magically change content or anything.
thenix

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:42 am Reply with quote
So many people have missed the point on both sides here. I could spend an hour listing them all but at this point it seems to make more sense to abandon thread. Especially because as I said earlier everyone ignores the good points being made and just attacks the crazies that are making bad points. This topic had a chance for an actual conversation and or debate but it's gone because few people seem to actually want to have a discussion they just want to throw out insults and make the other side look bad instead of understanding.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:36 am Reply with quote
Ojamajo LimePie wrote:
I'm just disappointed that Xseed has chosen titles that focus solely on fanservice, instead of providing good story/game content with a side of fanservice. (In other words, where's my English-language Vita versions of Fate and Little Busters?)

Both titles are staying in japan due to huge licensing headache/cost to any localization company.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Guile

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:47 am Reply with quote
Shippoyasha wrote:
I wouldn't say Japan is noticeably a patriarchal society as it's pegged to be. Family finances for example, are traditionally handled by the woman of the family. In fact, it has been the cultural norm for hundreds of years. Some of the earliest Japanese leaders were in fact female as well. Not to mention a lot of mythological lore and gods of the nation are female.

Modern Japan is one fueled by the power of femininity in a lot of areas. The downfall of the Macho American icon in favor of the mass market consumption of cute Hello Kitty-esque characters and art which decorate nearly everything in Japan from company mascots to billboard advertisements. Femininity itself has translated into male media entertainment in the form of visuel-kei music and feminine pretty boys dominating most visual media and similar avenues, and the macho male has actually been vilified and made fun of to the point those that associate with it are generally mocked. Japan is one of the most feminine focused cultures out there I've experienced. I think merely calling it a Patriarchy society does not go into detail on the actual culture itself and is too shallow of a description.

CrownKlown wrote:
This is my problem. Akiba is one niche title, it will be lucky to sell 50K copies. You have a have a handful of other games like criminal girls and dragon crown, but these games account for what less than a percent of the games released in a given year. A single triple A title like Mass Effect or GTA sells ten, maybe a hundred times this number. I think that is the issue. People like Todd and others harp on games like Dragon Crown that are niche games targeted at a small group like they mean something. I honestly don't think anyone would have even noticed or cared about Dragons Crown had the controversy not come up.

There is a logical explanation. Who's easier to bully. The kid with no friends or the kid who has tons of friends on the football team and has ties to the local gang?

It's easy to go after the niche games. Especially games from another country so you can play the "Oh Japan" angle. I'm not American and people have criticized my country before both on this site and other places, so I understand full well when culture difference has been portrayed detrimental. But try to go after a big game tied to a big company which sells millions? Far fewer people are going to listen and they will just look foolish for doing so.

This is the true reason why this mudslinging doesn't exist in Hollywood. Anyone who goes after The Avengers for being sexist and has no female representation because Black Widow is the only female hero and she's incredibly sexualized is going to be flat out ignored because the filmed grossed over a billion dollars worldwide and is one of the biggest movie franchises ever. Audiences don't care, producers don't care, and the people that do are in the very small minority who will be drowned out in the film's roaring success.

These video games are easy targets, and bullies love easy targets. Most bullies only go after targets they know they can get get away with picking on. In this realm, it's the niche games which are merely one step above indie games, and it doesn't hurt that most creators probably don't speak English so they can't even defend themselves, assuming they see the criticism in the first place. Usually it's up to the localizing department like XSEED to speak out, which they do a wonderful job of I would say.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:53 pm Reply with quote
Shippoyasha wrote:

I wouldn't say Japan is noticeably a patriarchal society as it's pegged to be. Family finances for example, are traditionally handled by the woman of the family. In fact, it has been the cultural norm for hundreds of years. Some of the earliest Japanese leaders were in fact female as well. Not to mention a lot of mythological lore and gods of the nation are female.

Noticeably patriarchal doesn't mean completely patriarchal. In any current global measures, Japan is regularly ranked low. It's ok to like Japan or to like anime yet still acknowledge that drawback. The real power behind Japan's decision-makings are overwhelmingly controlled by men. Even the current administration of PM Abe realizes and working on improving the situation with renewed focus on "womenomics" as a core pillar of "Abenomics."

(Reminds us, this was actually big news in Japan just last month: the fact that this happened out of all places in the middle of Parliament and the subsequent disgraceful reactions following it, reverberated around the world.)

Last edited by enurtsol on Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dark Absol

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:22 pm Reply with quote
toddc wrote:
The last paragraph of the contest description should have a link to my e-mail address.

Since I'm using the google chrome, I cannot access to your email via link. :/
Ji-L87

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:25 pm Reply with quote
Dark Absol wrote:
toddc wrote:
The last paragraph of the contest description should have a link to my e-mail address.

Since I'm using the google chrome, I cannot access to your email via link. :/

Right click the link, alternatively look at the address the link is pointing towards.
InuKen

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:24 pm Reply with quote
I think the author really needs to look at it at both sides of the coin. Would you say it's sexist if the roles were reversed and it were a female protagonist stripping male vampires? No, you would find it utterly hilarious and will not make any complaints. That would make you the sexist instead.

If Kill la Kill had male protagonists instead(and all other characters the opposite gender), it would've been a lot more controversial. spoiler[Imagine Ryuko Matoi a boy stripping away the clothes of 2 out of 4 female elite 4 members in one of their earlier battles and the leader of nudist beach being a female.]

That's the problem with people these days. They're okay with it when the females are doing the "wrong thing" but go out with pitchforks when it's a guy. The author also mentions Dakengard 3 in his article. Now imagine that with gender swapped characters. It would've been one of the most "sexist" games according to you. But because the main characters are females and the whole "we need more female characters in video games outcry is still going on" you're perfectly okay with it.

Then we go on to Zelda Musou or Hyrule Warriors. Please remind me how many male and female playable characters there are so far? 2 Male and like what 8 Females? If this were reversed, everybody would be screaming for Nintendo's heads.

On a side note, I watched a video where somebody there claimed that Nintendo was sexist because they had Male Robin save Lucina in the recent Smash Bros character reveal trailers. Ridiculous is it not? That guy was so caught up in the whole "male and female" debacle in gaming right now that he thinks it's sexist to save a female even when she's in trouble. Yup, if you're a guy and you see a woman in need of trouble, walk away my friend, walk away, at least according to him because you would be a sexist pig if you did. Oh and where was the uproar of that Boyfriend kissing sim on the vita? Yep, because it's a Otome game, it gets a passed. If it were a game targeted at guys however...
DavetheUsher

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:06 am Reply with quote
Nah bra, double standards were no more apparent to me than the whole South Park: Stick of Truth thing. It had scenes of a pedophile forcing a little boy to strip to take pictures of him, little boys being anally raped and violated and abused, and no one said a single word about it. In fact the opposite ended up happening. When those scenes were censored in Australia sites everywhere went up in arms over the issue of freedom of speech and how ridiculous it was the game couldn't show what they wanted. But man, we all know what would have happened if it were girls in those scenes instead of guys. Those sites would be right there with Australia preaching how misogynistic it was to show a little girl being raped and exploited like that.
InuKen

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:02 am Reply with quote
DavetheUsher wrote:
Nah bra, double standards were no more apparent to me than the whole South Park: Stick of Truth thing. It had scenes of a pedophile forcing a little boy to strip to take pictures of him, little boys being anally raped and violated and abused, and no one said a single word about it. In fact the opposite ended up happening. When those scenes were censored in Australia sites everywhere went up in arms over the issue of freedom of speech and how ridiculous it was the game couldn't show what they wanted. But man, we all know what would have happened if it were girls in those scenes instead of guys. Those sites would be right there with Australia preaching how misogynistic it was to show a little girl being raped and exploited like that.

Yup, apparently it's okay for a woman to spank a guy in media but not ok if it's the other way around. In fact, any portrayal of female weakness is sexist according to some people. Pretty damn ridiculous if you ask me.
Shippoyasha

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:20 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Shippoyasha wrote:

Noticeably patriarchal doesn't mean completely patriarchal. In any current global measures, Japan is regularly ranked low. It's ok to like Japan or to like anime yet still acknowledge that drawback. The real power behind Japan's decision-makings are overwhelmingly controlled by men. Even the current administration of PM Abe realizes and working on improving the situation with renewed focus on "womenomics" as a core pillar of "Abenomics."

(Reminds us, this was actually big news in Japan just last month: the fact that this happened out of all places in the middle of Parliament and the subsequent disgraceful reactions following it, reverberated around the world.)

I recognize that actually. There are time where people see the heavily male dominated upper echelons and act really stupid/sexist as a result.

A ton of modern Japanese social ills seems to stem from lack of acknowledging that the workaholic culture is seriously damaging family dynamics, for both male and female. And it does hurt family-raising elements and women because the workaholic culture doesn't allow for time off. Not to mention a lot of people feel burnt out and just go straight into NEET territory because of the excessive cultural pressures that's happening.
potatochobit

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:26 am Reply with quote
I have personally spoke to women from japan during my time in college and they have told me the society is indeed chauvinistic and they like the freedom in america. Not that they are mistreated or anything.

but you know, japan does alot of things like being accused of being the most arrogant asian nation and how world war II is missing from their nationally accredited high school text books and is covered in less than a page. "It happened." I guess that's what is says, lol.

anyway, this thread is about video games?
everyone one piece game I ever played totally sucked. I hate banpresto games or anything similar.

the only game I am looking forward to right now is senran kagura on PSvita. But I don't own a vita yet, looking for a slim white used one on ebay.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:40 pm Reply with quote
Oh gawd, so is that what the Akibara Trip game is about.. Stripping vampires? Hoo boy. Well, my eyes are on the Tail Concerto artbook. I have one of the books by luck, but since this contains more material covering current trends then I gotta put this one on my list.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:33 pm Reply with quote
InuKen wrote:
DavetheUsher wrote:

Yup, apparently it's okay for a woman to spank a guy in media but not ok if it's the other way around. In fact, any portrayal of female weakness is sexist according to some people. Pretty damn ridiculous if you ask me.

I have to agree with this. As much as I loved Stick of Truth, the gaming media seems really quick to yell "misogyny!" at even the slightest hint of skin for females but don't care when it's males. Sometimes it's genuinely justified but most of the time it's dumb and reeks of crying wolf.
Wrathful

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 9:19 am Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
InuKen wrote:
DavetheUsher wrote:
Quote.

I have to agree with this. As much as I loved Stick of Truth, the gaming media seems really quick to yell "misogyny!" at even the slightest hint of skin for females but don't care when it's males. Sometimes it's genuinely justified but most of the time it's dumb and reeks of crying wolf.

See this is why I don't take the Social Justice Warriors serious. They would've gone for South Park since they've already covered objectification of women in their various episodes. They don't go for Matt & Trey co because they know the consequence of raising a big stink about it. Damned cowardly if you ask me.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5