• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: San Diego Police Arrest 29-Year-Old Male in Alleged Assault on Comic-Con Cosplayer

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:29 pm Reply with quote
GWOtaku wrote:
Sigh. This didn't happen at the convention. It was a hotel right by the convention center.

I hope the attacker(s) are discovered soon and brought to justice. Awful story.

The Marriott Marquis was an official event hotel. Parts of the convention were held there. If it happened at the hotel it could still have happened "at the convention."
bradc

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:44 pm Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
whiskeyii wrote:
It's probably in response to how San Diego Comic-Con approached the cosplay =/= consent issue versus how Emerald City Comic-Con did it. SDCC sent out emails reminding people harassment wouldn't be tolerated, but ECCC had giant posters plastered over the walls that flat out stated "Hey, this isn't cool, guys" and had info on the poster about what do to if you felt unsafe. To be fair, maybe SDCC had the same contact info in the email, but I doubt many people had that email on had or even remembered it all that often during all the craziness. ECCC just seemed much more visible and in-your-face about it, which seems like a good thing in retrospect.

I'm 99% certain that's what it was about, as evidenced in this article from back in June. SDCC was explicitly asked to beef up their anti-harassment policy (which is basically "use common sense when dealing with other people) and refused, saying that doing so would mean that there is a problem, and it would be bad publicity.

If they are getting bad publicity, it's not doing them a favor now. Something as in just protecting the public in general in such incident as this one pretty much sums up there should be cops on the look out, or just being there as security purpose for such large venues.
Chaos Salad

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:24 pm Reply with quote
Poor dear Crying or Very sad. It breaks my heart that this girl will most likely forever associate conventions with this traumatic experience. I've been attending anime cons since I was 14, and now almost a decade later, I still get really excited when I go to conventions. However, I can't deny that I've come across my fair share of men acting inappropriately towards me at cons (even when I was underage and not cosplaying).

The story behind this article seems a bit fuzzy still, but I think it's clear that cons around the nation need to step up their anti-harassment strategies. I hope this girl makes a speedy recovery!
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:40 pm Reply with quote
My sincerest thoughts go out to this young woman. I hope she recovers as soon as possible.

As angry as I am at this sick SOB who very likely attacked her, I am almost as outraged at the girl's mother. I am not a parent but I have been in situations where I've cared for children. I can't make sense of the mother's behavior, I mean WTF was she thinking? You're letting your still-underage daughter attend, for the first time and by herself, the single biggest convention in all of North America.

I can't wrap my head around it.
Shippoyasha

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:00 am Reply with quote
I don't think posting a poster to stop harassment works. You really need boots on the ground to enforce it. Every true fan of geek content should understand actual touching and roughing people is wrong. Sadly, a lot of people treat the event as a social gathering and can bring a lot of unsavory behavior with that.
supersqueak

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:08 am Reply with quote
I find this really depressing and I hope that she recovers and isn't too traumatized by the assault. It really pisses me off how people deny that female cosplayers are being harassed or even saying they deserve it. It's disgusting because there is such a double standard when it comes to cosplay.
ムギまる

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:21 am Reply with quote
Glad they busted the douche. Hopefully within the confines of the internet, this incident doesn't turn into another situation where people belt out the ridiculous "Well, she should of been more careful.", "She shouldn't have worn what she was wearing." bul*s*it.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:00 am Reply with quote
What part of 'cosplay is not consent' do these a-holes not understand? Mad
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:46 am Reply with quote
ムギまる wrote:

Glad they busted the douche. Hopefully within the confines of the internet, this incident doesn't turn into another situation where people belt out the ridiculous "Well, she should of been more careful.", "She shouldn't have worn what she was wearing." bul*s*it.

Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:46 am Reply with quote
It does concern me that a parent would allow their minor child to roam around the Comic-Con area at night without their supervision. Yes, it's great that your child checked in with you all day, but at night, with 150,000 other attendees roaming around, many of whom have alcohol and other substances in their system, anything is possible. I seriously question the judgement of any parent that allows their minor child to mingle with 150,000 people at night. Perhaps some punishment should be given to the parent as, at least at all the cons that I've attended, an adult is required to be in the vicinity of the minor at all times and not just reachable by phone.

The jargon "contributing to the delinquency of a minor" usually means that the minor was offered some drug, often alcohol. Id like to hope that all restaurants in the club were checking IDs properly to prevent minors from entering their premise and drinking, but with so many people in the area, mistakes can and do happen.

I liked the comment from a poster here that there should have been more security. That's unrealistic. There are over 150,000 people in the area to attend the con. There is no way the entire San Diego police force could even monitor half of them.

I am saddened that this child had to learn the hard way that there are bad people in this world who have no scruples. I hope she can get the counseling she needs to get past this horrific event.
Admiral Pizzaman

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:46 am Reply with quote
Oh my lord. My prayers and thoughts are with her and wish her a speedy recovery.

That scum of the earth. Whoever did this must be brought to justice. Mad
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:58 am Reply with quote
I'm glad they arrested him quickly.
revolutionotaku

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:05 am Reply with quote
TsukasaElkKite wrote:
I'm glad they arrested him quickly.

Unfortunately, the maniac is out on bail.
Polycell

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:28 am Reply with quote
Cutiebunny wrote:
It does concern me that a parent would allow their minor child to roam around the Comic-Con area at night without their supervision.
She's seventeen, generally considered an age you're competent to take care of yourself. Given that the victim had a relationship of some sort with the assailant, I'm not entirely certain this would have helped much; if the parents trusted him, it well could've made things worse.

My heart goes out to her and I hope this doesn't spoil her dreams and interests.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:37 am Reply with quote
whiskeyii wrote:
Really sucks that a) the girl knew the guy, and probably trusted him,

That does not surprise me, I remember reading years ago that most rape victims are assaulted by people they know/relatives, the sad truth is that most of the time predators go for the target at hand, they do not bother to go to another city and/or hit a random victim (in batman's words "criminals are stupid and superstitious").
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 12