• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: San Diego Police Arrest 29-Year-Old Male in Alleged Assault on Comic-Con Cosplayer

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:14 am Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
That does not surprise me, I remember reading years ago that most rape victims are assaulted by people they know/relatives, the sad truth is that most of the time predators go for the target at hand, they do not bother to go to another city and/or hit a random victim (in batman's words "criminals are stupid and superstitious").

I think that the reason for this is that there's more of a stigma or hysteria to be had from being attacked by those that you trust. At times, people get friendly with other people just to gain that trust then betray them by attacking them.
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:39 am Reply with quote
I think it's extremely judgmental and unfair to blame this unfortunate victim's mother. Sending your young adult child (she's 17, not 10) to a popular and well-attended convention with lots of potential witnesses around checking up with her frequently by phone is plenty safe, or should be. It's not like attacks like this are common (thank goodness!) and the victim knew the alleged assailant, so it could of happened in any other venue--at a friend's house party or a mall, for instance.

Maybe it's because I started taking the subways by myself after dark as a teenager, which people from less populated and/or car addicted states think is "unsafe", but I think the mother did everything right here. You have to allow your kid to spread their wings even before they move away to college. The blame lies solely with the perp, and I hope the bastard (whoever it is) gets what's coming to him. I just wish the best for the victim and her family.
Admiral Pizzaman

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:03 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
I think it's extremely judgmental and unfair to blame this unfortunate victim's mother. Sending your young adult child (she's 17, not 10) to a popular and well-attended convention with lots of potential witnesses around checking up with her frequently by phone is plenty safe, or should be. It's not like attacks like this are common (thank goodness!) and the victim knew the alleged assailant, so it could of happened in any other venue--at a friend's house party or a mall, for instance.

Maybe it's because I started taking the subways by myself after dark as a teenager, which people from less populated and/or car addicted states think is "unsafe", but I think the mother did everything right here. You have to allow your kid to spread their wings even before they move away to college. The blame lies solely with the perp, and I hope the bastard (whoever it is) gets what's coming to him. I just wish the best for the victim and her family.

I absolutely agree with you.
mdo7

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:10 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:

I wish ANN had a Up/down system because I would give 10 positive (+) points for this post.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:25 am Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
I wish ANN had a Up/down system because I would give 10 positive (+) points for this post.

I would too; a positive only (aka Like) system would be dandy IMO.
Chaos Salad

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:27 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:

Agreed! I was 17 the first time I attended a con unsupervised. I'm actually impressed because I didn't check in with my parents nearly as much as this girl did (at least not enough for my parents to notice that something was wrong if I didn't check in). I think the mother gave the appropriate level of supervision for a 17 year old girl going to a large gathering of this nature.
Manwards

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:10 pm Reply with quote
From reading the news on other sites, it seems the 29-year old man claims he didn't know she was 17 (he thought she was 20) and denies having sex with her. He also claims that she left the convention centre after an argument with him (he wanted to take her home; she didn't want to go), and that he was the one who contacted security when he couldn't get in touch with her. He said he was also with security when she was found.

So, let's not form a lynch mob just yet. It's entirely possible that the girl lied to him about her age. From that, drinking and even sex may have been involved. That doesn't make the guy a paedophile or prove that he beat her half to death. He may well have done! But let's wait until more details come out and the police do their thing before we condemn someone.
dudebro

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:14 pm Reply with quote
Manwards wrote:
It's entirely possible that the girl lied to him about her age. From that, drinking and even sex may have been involved. That doesn't make the guy a paedophile or prove that he beat her half to death.

Well, he wouldn't be a pedophile even if he knew for a fact that she is 17. A 17 year old is nowhere near pre-pubescent.
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:23 pm Reply with quote
Well, the fact is she was beaten, the question is who did it. The man arrested is certainly innocent until proven guilty. Did he admit to anything, like giving her alcohol? Even if he thought she was 20, she was still underage, alcohol-wise, though I don't *think* that someone can/should be prosecuted for giving a twenty year old alcohol!
Hellfish

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:13 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:

I agree completely with you. And she could have been older than 18 and still would be no difference, as becoming of age is no guarantee of safety of shit-stains who might decide to assault you :S
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:03 pm Reply with quote
Its best to go in pairs at a convention. When females dress skimpy, there are eyes on them. Always. Some fans live for that aspect alone. There are a ton of creeps out there. I would think that there would be some sort of security camera evidence to help out.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:21 pm Reply with quote
Shadowrun20XX wrote:
Its best to go in pairs at a convention. When females dress skimpy, there are eyes on them.

That somewhat implies that if a women dresses attractively, it is their fault if they get assaulted. I refuse to accept such notion. I haven't gone to anime/comic/etc. conventions in years, but no matter where I am, if I see an attractive women I might look at her (you know, I am not made of stone), but even if she wore a bikini in the middle of the city, that is no reason to assault her, plain and simple, at least in my mind that is minimum manners in a civilized urban areas of the 21st century, anything less is a hillbilly zone.
MacCalhoun

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:01 pm Reply with quote
Damn you lot are lynch mob, hanging this guy by his toenails without knowing why he was arrested or what his side of the story is. Here's some reporting from an organization that interviewed the accused.
http://www.polygon.com/2014/7/30/5952709/san-diego-comic-con-cosplay-assault
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:15 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
but no matter where I am, if I see an attractive women I might look at her (you know, I am not made of stone), but even if she wore a bikini in the middle of the city, that is no reason to assault her, plain and simple, at least in my mind that is minimum manners in a civilized urban areas of the 21st century, anything less is a hillbilly zone.

Maybe not for you, but you're not scum o' the earth. Some humans are just really evil people.
Suena

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:00 pm Reply with quote
Cutiebunny wrote:

I liked the comment from a poster here that there should have been more security. That's unrealistic. There are over 150,000 people in the area to attend the con. There is no way the entire San Diego police force could even monitor half of them.

That's why it's important for the con to be in-your-face about reminding attendees how important proper behavior is. There's no way the con can arrange security such that every area is closely monitored at all times. It's more practical to foster a degree of responsibility among attendees - not so much to stop being a perv (nothing they say can change that) but to look out for others, and step in and back up victims in a bad situation. (Refer back to the post about SDCC vs. ECCC.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 12