• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Streams Cancelled Psycho-Pass Episode

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gasero

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:59 pm Reply with quote
This is ridiculous. The content in the episode already aired since this is a repeat broadcast of Psycho-Pass. If anything the current event is proof that stuff like that HAS happened and CAN happen again.

I dislike it when people get sensitive for a week and then completely forget that bad things in the media are reflective of bad things in real life.
RenimLS

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:02 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
Hoppy800 wrote:

She also tried to kill her father and poison her class too. A true cold-blooded killer.

Yeah I heard about that too.

The good news: The Japanese media didn't blame video game or anime for the killer's action (because usually when a young kid go on a killing spree, they always blame video game or other popular stuff young kids like for a young kid committing crimes).

Actually Kotaku had a piece mentioning the fact that some of the Japanese media did immediately jump and go "Is anime to blame?" with this incident.
mdo7

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:03 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:

Younger kids have done things just as terrible. Children aren't quite as innocent as most people like to believe, I'm afraid.

Yeah the murder of James Bulger done by 2 ten-years old kid I agreed was the most disturbing thing anybody would've done. Yeah, I do agreed children aren't quite as innocent but then again if the kid is a sociopath that is to be expected.

RenimLS wrote:

Actually Kotaku had a piece mentioning the fact that some of the Japanese media did immediately jump and go "Is anime to blame?" with this incident.

Huh, I didn't see that on Kotaku (well I'm on vacation so I'm too busy not taking notice of the Kotaku article). But thanks, I'm going to retract my previous statement.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:15 pm Reply with quote
This has happened with other coinciding incidents where media eerily imitates a real life occurrence, a rerun of Tokyo 8.0 (A series that premiered in 2009) was cancelled (or was it delayed... whatever) after the 2011 Japan earthquake, many other anime series that had some sort of Earthquake or tsunami scene were also delayed for release.
誤称

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:18 pm Reply with quote
I was a bit more put off by the "lesbians are psychotic women who murder their lovers" aspect of this episode than the actual violence.
mdo7

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:20 pm Reply with quote
Oh speaking of Kotaku, they just posted an article related to this ANN article.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kreion

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:31 pm Reply with quote
誤称 wrote:
I was a bit more put off by the "lesbians are psychotic women who murder their lovers" aspect of this episode than the actual violence.

That sentence is idiotic - the fact that she is or is not a lesbian has no bearing on her mental state. There's not even a scene which she shows any particular sexual desire towards women, she's using them to fulfill her own twisted desires which are not sexual in nature at all. If it's easier to manipulate them after 'seducing' them, then she's going to seduce them.

Psycho-pass never makes any links between sexuality and sanity, does Yayoi go on a murderous rampage? People who jump to conclusions when a story doesn't make every character who is non-white non-straight perfect are just as bad as people who discriminate against those races and sexualities.
Dessa

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:40 pm Reply with quote
It's not just Japan that's done this. Many shows were pre-empted after 9-11 in the US.

A bit closer to this situation, was the cancellation of the episode "Earshot" of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, which was originally due to air a week after the Columbine massacre. Since there were important plot points, it did eventually air, but months later, before the next season started. That season's finale was also delayed due to school violence issues.
誤称

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:42 pm Reply with quote
@Kreion

Cause you know, this entire episode wasn't an example of the "psycho lesbian" and "bury your gays" tropes in play. Not at all.
ScruffyKiwi

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:01 pm Reply with quote
誤称 wrote:
@Kreion

Cause you know, this entire episode wasn't an example of the "psycho lesbian" and "bury your gays" tropes in play. Not at all.

You are correct. It wasn't. The murderer in PP simply used the attraction the girls felt for her as a way of obtaining her prizes. I'm not even convinced she is a lesbian. She just seemed to use her wiles to groom her victims and actually despised them. Definitely not a lover!
Kougeru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:08 pm Reply with quote
ScruffyKiwi wrote:
誤称 wrote:
@Kreion

You are correct. It wasn't. The murderer in PP simply used the attraction the girls felt for her as a way of obtaining her prizes. I'm not even convinced she is a lesbian. She just seemed to use her wiles to groom her victims and actually despised them. Definitely not a lover!

I honestly thought 誤称 was trolling, but looking at some old posts on the net it seems quite a few people actually felt this way about the episode. People like to put anti-gay things where they dont exist. It's a good show, and a good episode. It's a shame the girl (IRL) wasnt treated for her mental issues before she killed someone.
誤称

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:21 pm Reply with quote
You're thinking I'm being anti-gay? I'm pro-gay, thank you very much.

Also, the relationship between the psychiatrist and her patient is also very, very unethical. You don't sleep with your patients.

I'm sorry, but Urobochi is certainly not a big fan of gay rights and his treatment of gay characters is terrible.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:04 pm Reply with quote
誤称 wrote:
I'm sorry, but Urobochi is certainly not a big fan of gay rights and his treatment of gay characters is terrible.

Correct my memory, but isn't one of the Enforcers - a sympathetic character - lesbian? And isn't one of the good girls in the all-girl school also implied to be lesbian? the one who spoiler[joins the team at the end of the series]?

but I totally agree that the episode played on the Psycho Lesbian trope for shock value - playing for shock value was my main problem with the first half of the series, it was always trying to be as gruesome and "shocking" as possible. I much preferred the series once it got past the criminal-of-the-week format and moved into the long-running thriller hunting down Makishima.

[edited for typo]

Last edited by vashfanatic on Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
RenimLS

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:04 pm Reply with quote
誤称 wrote:

Also, the relationship between the psychiatrist and her patient is also very, very unethical. You don't sleep with your patients.

Are you referring to Karanomori Shion, the one having the sexual relations with Kunizuka Yayoi, the only female enforcer on their team? Shion is not a psychiatrist, but a data analyst. She also happens to have a physician's license (stated right in her introduction), which is why the government shoved on to her health care responsibilities for her team in addition to her primary job.

Given that both Shion and Yayoi are latent criminals, and the areas at which they're both allowed to go are heavily restricted, it's not like they have a lot of options on who they can have relations with and where they can have it.

I think you may have the problem that some people have where they are so intent on finding a fault in something, that they end up perceiving that the fault is actually there, even if it isn't there.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:26 pm Reply with quote
You people are really going far out the way on this.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4