• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Streams Cancelled Psycho-Pass Episode

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:29 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
People like to put anti-gay things where they don't exist.

You mean like that Gen Urobochi guy? Or are you complaining that it's subtext rather than text? Re Madoka: It's Homura's latent feelings spoiler[for Madoka that drives the plot into Hell]. The bad spoiler[endings are with Madoka dead], the good spoiler[ending is with Madoka, uh, also dead and wiped from existence.]. Of course, this is just from the TV series.

And upon reflection, it's not really subtext.

For Psycho Pass, it's a little more obvious. Ignoring the psychotic and whatever her motives and methods are, all her targets are lesbians in an all girls school {Sigh. Can't you just feel the love here?}. She couldn't just pick random strangers {even if all still female}, drug them and then do her work, she really had to seduce them first?

As for the Yayoi/Shion improper doctor/patient relationship, they're both Latents so they're both deviants even before "this". To sum up Gen Urobochi's use of lesbians:

Lesbians who end up dead for being what they are, the socially unaccepted having sex with one another {love? Lust at least}, one psychotic who's just in it for the art though it has nothing to do with same sex relationships she partakes in {I don't get it myself; She's trying to connect with her subject but can't stop at friendship?} and one who has unexplored feelings for the same sex leading spoiler[to the end of the world.]

Your conclusion: Completely innocent author being accused of something he's not; He's a "good" writer and "good" writer use sensationalism to drive home a point. Here, the point would seem to be "Don't be gay."
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:55 pm Reply with quote
Shadowrun20XX wrote:
You people are really going far out the way on this.

^oh so much so.

If people want to post there opinions on what Gen Urobuchi did or did not mean to express, we can all meet back at the official anime thread, let us focus on the more obvious nature that the episode was pulled because it topically coincided with a current event (a girl student murder) and avoid soap boxing on weather or not the series is trying to express implied anti-gay sentiments (which was NEVER the focus of the series).

There are plenty of other modern events that lend itself to the real battle of politicians trying to shut down any form of homosexual expression, this is NOT one of those cases.
Juno016

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:12 pm Reply with quote
It's a big shame that these kinds of things happen, but they affect people in Japan a lot louder than they do in America, from my own experience. There are plenty of people who are still upset that the episodes are cancelled, but most tend to be very understanding and supportive of the fact that they're trying to avoid bringing up bad memories.

As for Urobuchi, he's not anti-gay or a homophobe. He's already said in two interviews (one for Madoka and one for Fate/Zero's novel, in which the interview was more or less about all of his works) that he is supportive of love of any shape. He avoids saying that characters are gay because Japanese society hasn't adjusted to that yet (and he supports personal interpretation, so he purposely keeps things vague in Madoka, at least), but it's pretty clear that he's not against it and would probably advocate for it. As a side note, he is the main supervisor for Nitro+ Chiral, which is the yaoi division of Nitro+, the company he started at. If he was that against it, he would probably not be the main supervisor there.
Dessa

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:42 pm Reply with quote
He's also notable for having written the first openly gay character in Kamen Rider, who, surprisingly, spoiler[is not dead (yet)], despite spoiler[having many death flags raised] in the series.
KH91

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:43 pm Reply with quote
They show the episode from the original version back in 2012-13, no problems at all. Some school girl gets killed by her classmate, PP then airs the same thing from the original version from 2012-13, and its a problem. SMH
s33kandd3str0y

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:49 pm Reply with quote
uhhhh... Nice Boat?
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:05 pm Reply with quote
Wait, were Homura and Madoka supposed to be more than friends? I'm usually the first to pick up on those things... or is this a case of "my headcanon isn't canon so homophobe"?

Also, Madoka may spoiler[not be physically existent, but her final words are that she'll always be with Homura... and Homura's repeating time over and over again is what enables Madoka to save the world in the end, not screw it up.] Though all of that is with me not having seen the new movie endings, I'm just going by the show. spoiler[Whose ending I didn't much like. I didn't like that Madoka found a loophole in the system to get a happy ending. And bringing back the dead characters in this instance felt... cheap. Whatever, I'm in a minority on that.]
Ali07

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:17 pm Reply with quote
Dop.L wrote:
Thing is, this kind of cancellation is a common thing, and not just in Japan but anywhere with any kind of sensitivity to real-world events.

If something in the TV schedules bears any kind of relation to a tragic event, it gets pulled. TV stations don't show "Airplane!" if there's been a plane crash. That episode of "The Simpsons" where Homer visits the World Trade Centre wasn't shown for YEARS from September 2001.
It's a surprisingly comment event because it's just simple decency.

Another one was the towers being taken out of Spider-Man trailers and the movie.
Juno016

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:21 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
Wait, were Homura and Madoka supposed to be more than friends? I'm usually the first to pick up on those things... or is this a case of "my headcanon isn't canon so homophobe"?

Also, Madoka may spoiler[not be physically existent, but her final words are that she'll always be with Homura... and Homura's repeating time over and over again is what enables Madoka to save the world in the end, not screw it up.] Though all of that is with me not having seen the new movie endings, I'm just going by the show. spoiler[Whose ending I didn't much like. I didn't like that Madoka found a loophole in the system to get a happy ending. And bringing back the dead characters in this instance felt... cheap. Whatever, I'm in a minority on that.]

I'll elaborate in a PM, but the short answer is:
Urobuchi didn't intend to make Homura/Kyouko's feelings explicitly gay, but he is open and supportive to such an interpretation. Basically, he wants the audience to decide for itself.
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:41 pm Reply with quote
In the 3rd Madoka movie spoiler[made all the possible yuri pairings explicitly clear in the most heavy handed way possible (and did indeed make one character's lesbian obsession have terrible consequences for the others). Urubochi didn't write that, as far as I know. So I'd venture to say, he writes all types of relationships with grace, and when others get a hold of his work they mess it up.]

Why don't people come over to the official Psycho Pass boards? Or even make a new one? I'd love to discuss the re-airs without too many spoilers by wading through the old threads, since I'm watching them for the first time.
Juno016

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:47 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
In the 3rd Madoka movie spoiler[made all the possible yuri pairings explicitly clear in the most heavy handed way possible (and did indeed make one character's lesbian obsession have terrible consequences for the others). Urubochi didn't write that, as far as I know. So I'd venture to say, he writes all types of relationships with grace, and when others get a hold of his work they mess it up.]

Again, I don't want to have an overbearing off-topic post, but for the sake of correction, even the third film doesn't make it explicit. In Japanese, "ai" sounds like romantic love, but it's also the strongest kind of love you can have for friends and family. It's particularly relevant to the Magical Girl genre, actually. Not many modern Magical Girls fight "evil" for the sake of having romance with boys (Sailor Moon being a hilarious exception), but they all fight for "ai". It's "love" in general. And for Homura, her "love" for Madoka is most definitely strong. But that doesn't make it automatically romantic/sexual in any way. Just really strong. Which is no surprise at all.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:48 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:

Blech, I am now reading the full review of it, and I'm glad I skipped it. I'll take a bit of a let-down to a series I otherwise liked over that ending.

ANN does list Gen Urobuchi as responsible for the screenplay, though, so unless that's wrong he bears some responsibility for the derailing.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:51 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Wait, were Homura and Madoka supposed to be more than friends?

spoiler[While circumstantially it was one sided, Homura certainly had some desire to "be with Madoka", and contextually it was something that was tearing Homura apart on the inside where Madoka's "affection" comes from a place of selflessness and "treats all her friends as kind as possible".]
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:55 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
Agent355 wrote:

Blech, I am now reading the full review of it, and I'm glad I skipped it. I'll take a bit of a let-down to a series I otherwise liked over that ending.

ANN does list Gen Urobuchi as responsible for the screenplay, though, so unless that's wrong he bears some responsibility for the derailing.

It (Madoka Rebellion) wasn't derailed, it simply went to the "natural extreme", and certain people such as Hope Chapman didn't care for it in the slightest.

on a separate but important note, PLEASE do not complain about things you have not seen (that is text book ignorant) and do not cite someone else's review of the product as a stand in for your own supposed "POV".
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:23 pm Reply with quote
FenixFiesta wrote:
on a separate but important note, PLEASE do not complain about things you have not seen (that is text book ignorant) and do not cite someone else's review of the product as a stand in for your own supposed "POV".

Anime hyper Apologies for judging a show just from summaries of the plot, I guess. I do try to avoid doing that. I'm guessing you think their summaries are completely wrong?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4