• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Digimon Adventure Anime Returns Next Spring in High School Sequel

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Geninja

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 1:19 pm Reply with quote
Crystal wrote:
Geninja wrote:

How do you know all this stuff, do you have new information? Because from what has been revealed there's no confirmation about any 02 and if there is no 02 then that means the epilogue is being cut and Digimon is getting the FMA Brotherhood treatment.

I don't think there is a source, but I'm hoping 02 and its characters won't be retconed.

Geninja wrote:
Besides Takari was an intended couple as well going from interviews by the creator.
. . .
I hope for many things aside from shipping mainly wanting to see the mega evos of all the original 8. Alas though shipping wise I think that they should get T.K. and Kari together. They had the most development out of all the couples in the uncut version. In the dub they were tied with Taiora.

I disagree with this. Mainly because like with the Harry Potter epilogue, the Digimon epilogue was widely met with negative reaction. People did not like the epilogue at all. Many people found it cheap, lazy and a way for other people to not revisit the world again.

This person tweeted some questions at Hiroyuki Kakudou (the director), this post links to his tweets (albeit in Japanese, but it's still a more legit source). I think she makes it clear that Kakudou isn't that interested in shipping. Anime hyper

Also that "Takeru and Hikari were supposed to end up together" came from one site with no real source and this post mentions how it's incredibly unlikely that was true.

It could be kinda cheap/lazy to ignore it. And I think MANY would be unhappy with Daisuke & Co. no longer "existing."

I'd be a lot more interested if this upcoming show was more of a "coming of age" thing for Taichi and Co. than it being about shipping.
. . . .
Oh my god.
Taichi, Hikari and the others will be 10 years older than they were when they saw Parrotmon and Greymon. Anime hyper[/quote]

Fun fact that magazine is known for spreading tabloid garbage so IDK about you but I can tell you that magazine is not reliable.

I wouldn't consider it cheap/lazy to cut the widely despised epilogue and even 02 which was very weak in comparison with 01. Plot holes, plots dropped, plots rushed. You name in, 02 had it. The Dark Ocean was a very promising arc but they didn't do anything with it in the end.

Daisuke and co are not the originals, there are 8 originals and only 2 carried on into the sequel. Absolutely agree that this should be a more coming of age but it should focus on the core 8. Plus "coming of age" does ideally entitle some plot developments aside from action like romance per-se.

Anyways I have many hopes for the new series, only one of them deals with shipping(Takari ending up together) the rest deals with many things.

Heck I love the original cast so much that I bought the PSP Digimon Adventure game even though I don't know Japanese. Just playing that game was an amazing experience.

Also since Tai is 17 in this it's been at least 15 years since he and the others saw Parrotmon and Greymon fight in Highton View Terrace. I think Kari was 2 and Tai was 5.
Crystal

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 1:25 pm Reply with quote
Geninja wrote:
Also since Tai is 17 in this it's been at least 15 years since he and the others saw Parrotmon and Greymon fight in Highton View Terrace. I think Kari was 2 and Tai was 5.

. . . . that would have made Taichi 2 and Hikari not yet born. They wouldn't have remembered it if they were 2.

The Parrotmon/Greymon fight happened 4 years earlier, in 1995. 02 is 3 years later and this show will be 3 years later (Taichi's in 8th grade in 02, probably 14). Taichi would have been about 7 and Hikari about 4 during the Parrotmon/Greymon fight.
rizuchan

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 2:18 pm Reply with quote
And here I was excited about this until I saw this thread and remembered how terrible the digimon shipping fandom is. Seriously, every time Digimon is mentioned in an article on this site there's 120 comments of people arguing about scenes that were less than 1% of the content of the show.

Newsflash: Digimon isn't and never was about love triangles between elementary school students. It's about some kids and there digimon. And I can guarantee the creators really didn't give it that much thought. I almost wish that there was zero reference to any of the established (or otherwise) couples in this new series except I know that it doesn't matter because nothing is going to change the minds of you guys after all these years.

They're also never going to retcon 02 or the epilogue or anything like that. There's no reason to. Yeah, the epilogue was rather hammy (it is rather similar to the Harry Potter epilogue in that everything is wrapped up a little too nicely) but it's far enough in the future that there isn't any reason to ignore it, and the drama CDs that take place after the end of Adventure Zero Two show that there is still some room for more story.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Trilby1992

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 3:36 pm Reply with quote
Rather than not referencing the already established, or teased couples, I would like to see them end most of the arguments with the new series by clearly show who went with who in the beginning and go with it.

I sometimes wonder whether the japanese fans are that big on shipping and whether the creators are aware of the American/European fans' obsession with the couples.

Anyhow, they may introduce a new Digidestined!
https://twitter.com/Call_Me_A_Hero/status/495936772376129536/photo/1
SolidSnake1111

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 4:45 pm Reply with quote
Trilby1992 wrote:

Isn't that just promotional material for the 15th anniversary event? I don't think anything but the trailer for the new series has been released since the announcement. That poster was at the event. Unless it was a hidden tease...
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:02 pm Reply with quote
Crystal wrote:
I think she makes it clear that Kakudou isn't that interested in shipping.

I find this to be inconsistent with his claim that Sorato was planned from the start. If he didn't care about shipping, then essentially there wouldn't be any confirmed couples at all.

If they hardly interacted in Adventure 01, I find that it a stretch to call it a foreshadow of Sorato.
SolidSnake1111

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:43 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
If they hardly interacted in Adventure 01, I find that it a stretch to call it a foreshadow of Sorato.

When I think of foreshadowing I don't think "characters must interact a lot". Lots of the kids interacted loads with each other, did that foreshadow that they all ended up married to each other? They didn't.

Isn't foreshadowing subtle hints? You can do that with little interaction between characters, depending on what's being foreshadowed. Besides, I thought Sora and Yamato interacted plenty. And look what I just read. http://jippy-kandi.tumblr.com/post/70849581215/digimon-sorato-foreshadowing-evidence-sora-matt

Sounds like foreshadowing to me. I want someone to write a similar thing for Kenyako now.

Edit: This is realllllly long and I can't believe I read it all, but I also think it's fantastic. http://jippy-kandi.tumblr.com/post/54374894121/digimon-adventure-episode-26-sorato-sora-matt-evidence

I might be a proper fan now. Razz

Last edited by SolidSnake1111 on Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kid Ryan

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:16 pm Reply with quote
Nonaka Machine Gun B wrote:
Apparently, the Blu-ray box is marked "1999-2006" which would include all the movies. I think the big question is, will Digimon X-Evolution, the eighth movie with no connection to any TV series and is CGI, be included.

EDIT: According to Toei's page, which ANN doesn't link to, nope, doesn't look like Movie 8 will be on this.

I'm honestly not surprised that they skipped Digimon X-Evolution, I never liked it much when I saw it a few years ago.

Actar wrote:
I wonder how many fans here actually grew up with the Japanese version. (Anime smallmouth)

There's probably not that many people in America, since subs weren't as big back in the 90's. I don't think there were official subs for new shows until late 2000s.

Unless you meant watching "raw", in which case no clue/idea.

taster of pork wrote:
No english subs on the blu-ray? Sad Anime cry

Why would there be english subs on a Japanese Blu-Ray? I don't think they are producing this with foreign importers in mind.
Geninja

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:52 pm Reply with quote
rizuchan wrote:
And here I was excited about this until I saw this thread and remembered how terrible the digimon shipping fandom is. Seriously, every time Digimon is mentioned in an article on this site there's 120 comments of people arguing about scenes that were less than 1% of the content of the show.

Newsflash: Digimon isn't and never was about love triangles between elementary school students. It's about some kids and there digimon. And I can guarantee the creators really didn't give it that much thought. I almost wish that there was zero reference to any of the established (or otherwise) couples in this new series except I know that it doesn't matter because nothing is going to change the minds of you guys after all these years.

They're also never going to retcon 02 or the epilogue or anything like that. There's no reason to. Yeah, the epilogue was rather hammy (it is rather similar to the Harry Potter epilogue in that everything is wrapped up a little too nicely) but it's far enough in the future that there isn't any reason to ignore it, and the drama CDs that take place after the end of Adventure Zero Two show that there is still some room for more story.

Never say never, it is a strong suggestion. Going from the fact that there was not even a shot of the 02 kids nor their digimon in the trailer. There is reason to if they want to garner an audience. The epilogue was widely despised across the entire fandom for multiple reasons.

Believe me they want this show to be a hit, they're gonna want to follow some things fans wanted from 15 years ago. Why else do you think they purposely didn't make the show available on youtube from the front page or their page. No they wanted to see if there's interest. Which is why the trailer will only come up if you search for it. So they do care about what we have to say.

They know that fans had major problems with 02(plot holes/drops/inconsistensies) and the epilogue especially so they may be redeeming themselves with this new series in the eyes of their viewers.

Anyway it's still too early to make one way or the next, by X-mas, I'm sure will have much more details then now and since it comes out in Spring 2015, by February we'll probably have pics of the kids and stuff.

Quote:
I sometimes wonder whether the japanese fans are that big on shipping and whether the creators are aware of the American/European fans' obsession with the couples.

Oh absolutely, just look at Naruto. However a lot of this is Kishi's fault for stringing people along. Even though it's been made pretty clear that Naruto/Sakura is what's likely gonna happen if any couple happens at all.

In the case of Digimon the most popular couples in Japan/USA are Takari, Kenyuki, Sorato(mainly dubs fault that Taiora became what it did) Taiora and Takari are really big in America and Takuya/Kouji for slash.

Quote:
When I think of foreshadowing I don't think "characters must interact a lot". Lots of the kids interacted loads with each other, did that foreshadow that they all ended up married to each other? They didn't.

In "The Call of Dragomon" when T.K is screaming to get to Kari Gatomon says "love" and then when T.K and Patamon jump into the portal Gatomon says "love connects two worlds"... I don't how much more foreshadowing do you need with that kind of statement. In the uncut version Takari was not subtle, the farthest thing from it.

Their crests alone brought balance to the Digital World, Hope and Light, there was way more to the conversation in "Stone Soup" in the Japanese Uncut version.

Believe me you want to talk foreshadowing, Takari was. Sorato very much existed but it was very subtle, Takari was anything but subtle

Sorato was basically just dialogue, the kids would talk about it but that's really it. They never had there own moments so to speak and definitely not their own episode like Takari got.

Quote:
I find this to be inconsistent with his claim that Sorato was planned from the start. If he didn't care about shipping, then essentially there wouldn't be any confirmed couples at all.

He was very inconsistent, I mean just look at all the plots dropped in 02. 02 was a mess especially towards the end and very rushed. It would be wise to reboot it, there were many errors including replacing Taichi with Daisuke. I never liked Daisuke, TBH I didn't like any of the new kids aside from Ken.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:34 am Reply with quote
SolidSnake111, then again, maybe this Tumblr is romanticizing the connections a little. You can have 2 characters have parallels to each other but that doesn't mean they would end up with each other. If they interact more and have moments together, I will believe said parallels.

By foreshadowing, I mean the characters having moments together. If not all the writers or VA were clued that Sorato would happen and thus not know how to portray it that way, you call that a foreshadow?

It's like a rule that the lead guy should be with the lead girl. Kakudou certainly disobeyed that rule.

On writers and story ideas: if they offer fitting and logical explanations I have no problems accepting it, but if it's inconsistent rubbish it can be ignored and disregarded just like an inconsistent rubbish statement from a fan or anyone else can be disregarded.
SolidSnake1111

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:05 am Reply with quote
I hope the new series makes zero references to ships.

rizuchan wrote:

+1000.
Nonaka Machine Gun B

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:54 pm Reply with quote
Trilby1992 wrote:

Hackmon is a Digimon from an original story event from the Digimon Adventure PSP game, which is also apart of this 15th anniversary celebration. I wouldn't read much into his inclusion on the mat.

Perhaps the new series may feature him in a cameo, similar to how 02 and Tamers used Ryo from the WonderSwan games.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:58 pm Reply with quote
Geninja wrote:
rizuchan wrote:

Never say never, it is a strong suggestion. Going from the fact that there was not even a shot of the 02 kids nor their digimon in the trailer. There is reason to if they want to garner an audience. The epilogue was widely despised across the entire fandom for multiple reasons.

Believe me they want this show to be a hit, they're gonna want to follow some things fans wanted from 15 years ago. Why else do you think they purposely didn't make the show available on youtube from the front page or their page. No they wanted to see if there's interest. Which is why the trailer will only come up if you search for it. So they do care about what we have to say.

They know that fans had major problems with 02(plot holes/drops/inconsistensies) and the epilogue especially so they may be redeeming themselves with this new series in the eyes of their viewers.

Anyway it's still too early to make one way or the next, by X-mas, I'm sure will have much more details then now and since it comes out in Spring 2015, by February we'll probably have pics of the kids and stuff.

Quote:

Oh absolutely, just look at Naruto. However a lot of this is Kishi's fault for stringing people along. Even though it's been made pretty clear that Naruto/Sakura is what's likely gonna happen if any couple happens at all.

In the case of Digimon the most popular couples in Japan/USA are Takari, Kenyuki, Sorato(mainly dubs fault that Taiora became what it did) Taiora and Takari are really big in America and Takuya/Kouji for slash.

Quote:

In "The Call of Dragomon" when T.K is screaming to get to Kari Gatomon says "love" and then when T.K and Patamon jump into the portal Gatomon says "love connects two worlds"... I don't how much more foreshadowing do you need with that kind of statement. In the uncut version Takari was not subtle, the farthest thing from it.

Their crests alone brought balance to the Digital World, Hope and Light, there was way more to the conversation in "Stone Soup" in the Japanese Uncut version.

Believe me you want to talk foreshadowing, Takari was. Sorato very much existed but it was very subtle, Takari was anything but subtle

Sorato was basically just dialogue, the kids would talk about it but that's really it. They never had there own moments so to speak and definitely not their own episode like Takari got.

Quote:

He was very inconsistent, I mean just look at all the plots dropped in 02. 02 was a mess especially towards the end and very rushed. It would be wise to reboot it, there were many errors including replacing Taichi with Daisuke. I never liked Daisuke, TBH I didn't like any of the new kids aside from Ken.

You have no clue what your talking about. They showed 02 footage during the 15th anniversary show. Kouji even played Target for the audience. If they were going to ignore 02. They would have not bothered with it all. Plus the trailer tells you Taichi is 17. That's 3 years after 02.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:09 pm Reply with quote
Wonder if it could get enough eps and get back on TV in N. America............ Like when Pokemon became a phenomenon on N.A. airwaves, Digimon had its own though briefer limelight, so it has some business cache. It was able to capture the attention of the public beyond the usual toon fans. (Heck, I remember commercials ads promos for the 8th Digi-destined child were everywhere, even on networks that don't have anything to do with toons like ESPN channels.) People forget the fact that the English broadcasts were mere few months after the Japanese broadcasts --the fastest turnaround at the time!-- so they weren't aware ahead of time how it was gonna turn out (no day-date speedsubs distribution back then, let alone a children's show).

Meanwhile, as for the -shipping, think back on your own lives: how much things changed between elementary school and you're grown up. Who were your crushes as kids? Did you end up going out with someone else instead? It doesn't matter what was hinted or not hinted in grade school - things can change a lot growing up. (So what if someone was thought of ending with someone else in grade school - lots of things can happen between then and after - youths hook up and break up then hook up again with different people all the time. Couplings don't always work out as planned.)
Mr. slicer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:07 pm Reply with quote
SolidSnake1111 wrote:
Crystal wrote:
SolidSnake1111 wrote:
The good thing is it won't cater to shippers because Toei Animation aren't fanfic writers. The show will have Sorato and Kenyako in the background, as romance in Digimon should remain, and anti-fans of those two pairings will still fume about it after the new series has ended.

I think more people might get mad if they retconned it than if they went with what they have. If they catered to what shippers wanted, people would probably hate that too (think reactions to Korra).

While I'd love for this upcoming show to develop/flesh out their characters a bit, I'm sure this show will focus on Digimon creatures as well. Anime hyper

Yeah, angry shippers are just more vocal, but if a retcon actually did happen those who dislike retcons in any canonverse (and there are many) will be super pissed. A retcon is always the last resort of any show and I really can't see Toei Animation retconning the epilogue just because of internet shipping wars. For other reasons, sure, except there are no good reasons for a retcon of the epilogue. Shipping isn't a good reason.

I hope Daisuke and the others are still in the new show as well. I would like all 12 to be given equal airtime, but since it's such a large cast, that might not happen.

I personally don't think that they would be doing a retcon of 02. If they were actually concerned about fan reactions to the epilogue why would they wait 15 years to change it? Even the revival of Sherlock Holmes happened quicker than that. Unless there has been some recent spike in negative reaction I can see no reason for them deciding to do this now.

Last edited by Mr. slicer on Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10