• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Digimon Adventure Anime Returns Next Spring in High School Sequel

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nonaka Machine Gun B

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:15 pm Reply with quote
taster of pork wrote:
No english subs on the blu-ray? Sad Anime cry

I would shit a brick if this happened, especially for the movies. Thinking of it now, the TV series does have subs on Netflix, so it's not like they are unavailable...
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:38 pm Reply with quote
I hope Saban does bring this to the United States. I'd love to see it. I admit there may have been some mistakes but this is a quality project overall,not discounting "Digimon:The Movie." It'll be interesting to see the Digidestined in high school. Hopefully,it'll work.
SolidSnake1111

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:19 pm Reply with quote
Digimon Rebirth Project wrote:
SolidSnake1111 wrote:
I like the sub a lot better than the dub, not just for shipping reasons, but it was better done overall.

I have only seen seasons 1-3 dubbed. Some of season 4 dubbed and some of season 5 subbed.

Besides these differences between Japanese & English versions......

- Removal of Violence, especially with guns and maybe censorship of cleavage?
- Differences of voices between casts
- English version i've heard tries to make it more funny with dialogue choices
- Name differences
- Music, some like the Japanese songs, some like the English songs.

Honestly i didn't include the relationship stuff because it doesn't seem like either really felt the need to establish relationships of matt and sora or sora and tai and i don't think a small hint in one or two episodes is enough. This is more of something created by fans.

So besides the above how else is Digimon really different in English than Japanese? Saying it is better just because isn't valid. And really i am open to watching season 1 for the 4th time but it will be in Japanese for the first time if there are some big differences but small differences doesn't really put one over the other.

But the sub is better and most people would agree with me.

You list those changes like they aren't big deals when they are. The whole tone of the show is different. The sub is more mature (less kiddie) and has a lot more substance and depth to its plots. I think you should watch the sub yourself and see. I found it really different.

Taiora came across to me as nothing but a friendship and there was no "drama" at all. If you're waiting for "awkwardness" between Taichi, Sora and Yamato in the new series, it won't be there because it was never a thing in the original. The dub really upped the love triangle angle.

Crystal wrote:
And there's no animosity between Taichi, Yamato and Sora in canon. One of the things I really dig bout Yamato and Sora's relationship is (at least in the original), there isn't a ton of focus (and as a result, no drama) when they hook up. They're pretty much in the background, often together or interacting, but no one comments about their relationship, and Jun's flashback to it has no dialogue/narration. I like that sort of subtlety and how the series is still focusing on Oikawa/BlackWarGreymon/Dark Seed Children/Ken instead.

I agree, I like that there's not a ton of focus on it because there were more important aspects of the show to deal with. Yamato and Sora's relationship is referenced in small ways by some of the others though, where you know they're dating. What's really telling is that Taiora is never referenced at all by the other kids, only Sorato. None of the kids ever thought Taichi and Sora were going to end up together or anything. This is clear in the original, while it's not in the dub.
oblivious247

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:57 pm Reply with quote
SolidSnake1111 wrote:
Digimon Rebirth Project wrote:
SolidSnake1111 wrote:
I like the sub a lot better than the dub, not just for shipping reasons, but it was better done overall.

I have only seen seasons 1-3 dubbed. Some of season 4 dubbed and some of season 5 subbed.

Besides these differences between Japanese & English versions......

- Removal of Violence, especially with guns and maybe censorship of cleavage?
- Differences of voices between casts
- English version i've heard tries to make it more funny with dialogue choices
- Name differences
- Music, some like the Japanese songs, some like the English songs.

Honestly i didn't include the relationship stuff because it doesn't seem like either really felt the need to establish relationships of matt and sora or sora and tai and i don't think a small hint in one or two episodes is enough. This is more of something created by fans.

So besides the above how else is Digimon really different in English than Japanese? Saying it is better just because isn't valid. And really i am open to watching season 1 for the 4th time but it will be in Japanese for the first time if there are some big differences but small differences doesn't really put one over the other.

But the sub is better and most people would agree with me.

You list those changes like they aren't big deals when they are. The whole tone of the show is different. The sub is more mature (less kiddie) and has a lot more substance and depth to its plots. I think you should watch the sub yourself and see. I found it really different.

Taiora came across to me as nothing but a friendship and there was no "drama" at all. If you're waiting for "awkwardness" between Taichi, Sora and Yamato in the new series, it won't be there because it was never a thing in the original. The dub really upped the love triangle angle.

Crystal wrote:
And there's no animosity between Taichi, Yamato and Sora in canon. One of the things I really dig bout Yamato and Sora's relationship is (at least in the original), there isn't a ton of focus (and as a result, no drama) when they hook up. They're pretty much in the background, often together or interacting, but no one comments about their relationship, and Jun's flashback to it has no dialogue/narration. I like that sort of subtlety and how the series is still focusing on Oikawa/BlackWarGreymon/Dark Seed Children/Ken instead.

I agree, I like that there's not a ton of focus on it because there were more important aspects of the show to deal with. Yamato and Sora's relationship is referenced in small ways by some of the others though, where you know they're dating. What's really telling is that Taiora is never referenced at all by the other kids, only Sorato. None of the kids ever thought Taichi and Sora were going to end up together or anything. This is clear in the original, while it's not in the dub.

I've seen the uncut subbed version, and honestly it's done nothing for me. The difference in maturity is nowhere near as profound as people make it out to be. Sticking with Saban's dub.
SolidSnake1111

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:02 am Reply with quote
oblivious247 wrote:
I've seen the uncut subbed version, and honestly it's done nothing for me. The difference in maturity is nowhere near as profound as people make it out to be. Sticking with Saban's dub.

A difference of opinion. You like the dubs jokes then, which is cool. Smile

For me the sub is a lot better on almost every level, and I know most people who have seen both versions think so as well.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:05 am Reply with quote
Hmm, I'd watch that. Not sure how they'll handle Digimon Adventures 02 though.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:05 am Reply with quote
ZeetherKID77 wrote:
I presume Saban is already preparing to get this in the US as well? I'd like to hope so.

My hopes too.

God I hope this is good and gets a US release. I know a lot was tweaked or reworked for the dub and it's hardly without flaws, but it still remains one of my favorite anime from the 90s. A permanent fixture of my childhood.
cloudthe23

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:22 am Reply with quote
YEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSS! The only thing I hope is that they rewrite the ending and put Tai and Sora as a couple, I F^cking hated that they put Sora and Matt together, that is the only thing I would always hate about Digimon and that Kairi never ended up with neither TK and Davis.
Crystal

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:30 am Reply with quote
cloudthe23 wrote:
YEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSS! The only thing I hope is that they rewrite the ending and put Tai and Sora as a couple, I F^cking hated that they put Sora and Matt together, that is the only thing I would always hate about Digimon and that Kairi never ended up with neither TK and Davis.

. . . . did you read any of the comments above this?
Geninja

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:03 am Reply with quote
ShindoW wrote:
I dislike Sorato and its my main turn off of this 02 sequel/retcon-sequel.

Here's hoping they keep the 02 stuff and build on plotholes and trash the epilogue altogether.

This could for all we know be a retcon of 02. All we know is that it features the original characters from Adventures 01 in HS. Meaning the original 8. There's no confirmation about any of the 02 kids making appearances. So we don't know if it's gonna follow the canon of 02 or if it's gonna completely cut 02.

This is in regards to the uncut one, I watched the uncut one. Digimon wasn't really about couples(not the type of anime for it) but the one that had the most "hints" during the series was Takari. I'm just being real here. Heck Takeru and Hikari had an entire episode devoted to that specific relationship, it was the one with the Dark Ocean. I think it's episode 13 in both the dub/original. The episode that had the interesting plot dropped after the episode finished. Why the heck would they ignore Dragomon as a potential villain? That was some awful storytelling on their part. Sorato was extremely subtle where on many occasions you could over look it. Tai/Sora was a dub thing though for sure.

It's been 15 years though so for all we know the creators may ignore 02 and give the fans of Digimon from the 90's what wanted back then.
ParkerALx

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:17 am Reply with quote
I've tried re-watching Saban's Digimon dub recently, and I simply can't get past the first few episodes. They cram lame jokes into every line of dialogue they can get away with. It drives me nuts! I can enjoy 4Kid's dub of Pokemon just fine, but when it comes to Digimon, I'll need a sub release to watch the show again.
Southkaio

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:42 am Reply with quote
ZeetherKID77 wrote:
I presume Saban is already preparing to get this in the US as well? I'd like to hope so.

I hope so!
kevinx59

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:19 am Reply with quote
I'm not really a fan of Digimon (preferred Pokemon, not to start a conflict) but this forum is pretty surprising. Did the show really focus on romance that much? I mean in a thread about Digimon I was expecting people to mainly be talking about, well, the Digimon themselves. I've never seen the original (I've only seen xros/fusion) so I don't really know anything about it. Its not bad, it's just I didn't expect people's comments to focus a lot on the couples. Anyways I may check this out, provided it can also be watched standalone.
Geninja

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:22 am Reply with quote
kevinx59 wrote:
I'm not really a fan of Digimon (preferred Pokemon, not to start a conflict) but this forum is pretty surprising. Did the show really focus on romance that much? I mean in a thread about Digimon I was expecting people to mainly be talking about, well, the Digimon themselves. I've never seen the original (I've only seen xros/fusion) so I don't really know anything about it. Its not bad, it's just I didn't expect people's comments to focus a lot on the couples. Anyways I may check this out, provided it can also be watched standalone.

I think that you just have to watch the Original Adventures 01 season. I'm kind of thinking this is gonna get the FMA Brotherhood treatment, and they will cut 02.
Crystal

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:05 am Reply with quote
kevinx59 wrote:

No, it really doesn't focus on romance that much. Anime hyper A few characters have crushes, but I think that a vocal chunk of its fan base is really into it. I was talking about how I don't think this upcoming show should cater to shippers.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 7 of 10