• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japan's Favorite TV Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 4:32 pm Reply with quote
minakichan wrote:
The online poll seems pretty accurate, pretty representative. But man, those celebs they polled seem to be all from older generations, on nostalgia trips.
That said you'll have notice EVA is No. 2 on the top list but only 24 in the celeb list. Guess the "oldies" didn't think much of it then, or now. Wink
Malintex Terek

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 4:33 pm Reply with quote
There's something wrong when One Piece isn't in the top five. Currently, the story's going through the best arc in the history of all shounen manga, so I'm very curious as to this change of taste in the show over in the Land of the Rising Sun.

On the weekly ratings for FujiTV, OP never gets below the top five, though it's recently been bumped from its primetime slot in favour of some new telly-drama; this is all very strange.

EDIT: Naruto at #17? It beat OP? Higgy trumped Mushishi? I know Higgy's good, but not with Deen's adaption. Holy wow, Diablo must have just whipped out his woolen sweater. o_O
Wolverine Princess

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 5:18 pm Reply with quote
I'm shocked that Bincho-tan made the list at number 62, placing it above Ouran Host Club, Dokuro-chan, Azumanga Dioh, and Full Metal Panic. Shocked that lets you know this was definitely an otaku poll. I love it, but it's pretty much just unadulterated cuteness without substance. Nearly every person I've discussed the show with outside Japan either avoided seeing it like the plague or found it extremely boring.
Fiction Alchemist

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 6:06 pm Reply with quote
Happy to see the rankings for Fullmetal Alchemist, Haruhi, and Eureka 7 as good as they are! Pleasant surprise.

Damn, do I wish SOMEONE would give Trigun some props, though. Crying or Very sad

Also, Wacky Races on the celebrity list? Anime cry
roxybudgy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 6:20 pm Reply with quote
Inuyasha at #20?

I'm an Inuyasha fan (not the screeming 'bishie' loving rabid fangirl type), and it really annoys me when anime elitists who hate the rabid fans make claims like "OMG are you STooPid, Inu-Yasha isn't even popular in Japan anymore!11!!!11".

So take that!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cloe

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 6:39 pm Reply with quote
I thought the celebrity list was way more interesting, personally. There were more titles in there I think of as classics (The Rose of Versailles, Galaxy Express 999, etc) rather than titles that just happen to be popular now, as well as titles I really, really want to see (Candy Candy, Hana no Ko Lunlun and Heidi, for instance). Good to see love for some of those older, less talked-about works.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Dernhelm

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 9:26 pm Reply with quote
i wonder who they mean as celebrities... did they include the voice actors?

edit: interesting. in the fan listing, FMA ranks way up ahead of Naruto. in the celebrity listing, it's the other way around.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 11:25 pm Reply with quote
I keep forgetting that Cowboy Bebop wasn't nearly as popular in Japan as it is in the US, and that it reminds me that it's like that for a lot of programs. Since it's my favorite anime TV series, I'm glad CB still made the list though - number 40 isn't too shabby.

Some of these shows are likely popular due to its relative freshness. Ask anybody what they think of Eureka 7 in ten years - I doubt it'll be on that list.

Now when they list "Gundam", is it the general franchise or the orginal series? If they counted them seperately, I thought I'd see Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam on the list somewhere. Of course, I suspect so would Gundam SEED/Destiny, simply because of its "new and shiny" factor.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Maceart

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 11:54 pm Reply with quote
Keroro Gunsou and Ojamajo Doremi both made the lists. I'm happy.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 12:25 am Reply with quote
I definitely agree with TV Asahi's list over the celebrity picks. I was very surprised that so many astoundingly popular and awesome series were listed so low (or not at all) on their list. Crying or Very sad

On the other hand, I was very happy that so many of my favorite animes made the Asahi 100 list... though it only goes up to about 97, right? That's kinda weird (somebody goof?). Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop
RevRay

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 1:27 am Reply with quote
The Online poll has a bunch of ties in it. There are actually 4 97's.

As far as Wacky Races (for those that don't know what it is, it was a Hanna Barbera cartoon), someone I talk to who's been to japan said that Wacky Races was apparently huge at one point in Japan (I'm gonna guess 70's or 80's) to the point that they were selling Laser Disc collections of the entire series.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 2:03 am Reply with quote
RevRay wrote:
The Online poll has a bunch of ties in it. There are actually 4 97's.

As far as Wacky Races (for those that don't know what it is, it was a Hanna Barbera cartoon), someone I talk to who's been to japan said that Wacky Races was apparently huge at one point in Japan (I'm gonna guess 70's or 80's) to the point that they were selling Laser Disc collections of the entire series.

ooooh, okay, i see. thanks for clearin' that up. hmm... didn't see that one. but woah, sounds like it was really huge.
Toneloak

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 10:18 am Reply with quote
It's time ANN added Tom and Jerry to the Encyclopedia. this has to be like the 4th list i've seen with T&J on it.

Come On:)
daxomni

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 8:00 pm Reply with quote
RevRay wrote:
As far as Wacky Races (for those that don't know what it is, it was a Hanna Barbera cartoon)

Worst. Show. Ever.
hanachan01

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 10:21 pm Reply with quote
Toneloak wrote:
It's time ANN added Tom and Jerry to the Encyclopedia. this has to be like the 4th list i've seen with T&J on it.

Come On:)

You're kidding, right? T&J is a good show though Smile The newer movies were terrible though.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4