• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japan's Favorite TV Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ryvius213

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 11:16 pm Reply with quote
What the.....? How the heck did Sousei no Aquarion beat Macross? The fanbase shouldn't be nearly as large as that of Macross, and I thought Kawamori fans would've voted for Macross or Escaflowne, if anything.
Vikio

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 1:01 am Reply with quote
Fiction Alchemist wrote:
Damn, do I wish SOMEONE would give Trigun some props, though. Crying or Very sad

The first thing I thought of was...No TRIGUN? Out of 100? Shocked Seriously?...I'm scared. Who was voting on these things? Even rabid otaku should have some sense...
Yeah, you can definitely tell that this was a "hotness" vote, and not a "quality" vote.
To roxybudgy who said: why people hate Inuyasha?
Because if you keep adding water to wine, all you get in the end is water Sad
And to penguintruth who said
Quote:
Some of these shows are likely popular due to its relative freshness. Ask anybody what they think of Eureka 7 in ten years - I doubt it'll be on that list.
I think in ten years I'll still think of Eureka as a fun ride, and would vote for it in a list like this. Very Happy
SoloButterfly

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 2:26 pm Reply with quote
Aww..digimon made the list. It's about time Digimon got SOME recognition. But...no Tenchi?! *shock*

It's very interesting to compare the two polls, and think about what American polls like this look like....
Vikio

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 7:31 pm Reply with quote
Oh yeah, Tenchi Muyo (The first OVA) was awesome! And I just noticed, the list has Rurouni Kenshin TV but not the OVA which is generally thought to be a work of art. In short - this list is bullshit. The Top Ten listings here on ANN are WAAAY better and more accurate.
Kouji

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 7:39 pm Reply with quote
Vikio wrote:
Oh yeah, Tenchi Muyo (The first OVA) was awesome! And I just noticed, the list has Rurouni Kenshin TV but not the OVA which is generally thought to be a work of art. In short - this list is bullshit. The Top Ten listings here on ANN are WAAAY better and more accurate.
There's a very good reason for this. This poll is for TV SHOWS only, NOT OVAs. Do you see any other OVAs on this poll? And why would they have Rurouni Kenshin listed twice just for the sake of the OVAs, anyway? It's all Rurouni Kenshin anyway, so what difference does it make?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 4:31 pm Reply with quote
Vikio wrote:
The first thing I thought of was...No TRIGUN? Out of 100? Shocked Seriously?...I'm scared. Who was voting on these things? Even rabid otaku should have some sense...

Trigun is practically unknown in Japan.

Vikio wrote:
In short - this list is bullshit. The Top Ten listings here on ANN are WAAAY better and more accurate.

It's not really that the lists here are more accurate, rather, they're voted on by a different crowd of anime fans who have very different tastes. It was a poll taken by a Japan TV station, threrefore, the results are more in favor of what's popular in Japan. If the votes were taken from something like Adult Swim, I can guarentee you the results would have been more to your liking. This doesn't make either of them "bullshit" or more accurate though.

I found both of the lists to be equally interesting though. The first one is more of a what anime are most popular at the moment, while the other one is more of a "most popular of all time" list.

Oh, and I am glad Galaxy Angel is on the "popular" list, seeing as the anime is over 5 years old (which is older than most of the shows on that list). It's nice to see that it's still popular (although, I guess I kind of already knew this...)
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 6:46 pm Reply with quote
I'm not sure why Paniponi Dash got so high.. I've nothing against it but didn't consider it /that/ good. I'm also really suprised at how high Negima rated in Japan, given the many complaints about animation quality and story changes among English language fans.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 7:01 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
I'm not sure why Paniponi Dash got so high.. I've nothing against it but didn't consider it /that/ good.

Although I really liked it, I wouldn't put it in my top 5. I don't know how it got so high either, as it's popularity in Japan never even really stood out to me that much...

Quote:
I'm also really suprised at how high Negima rated in Japan, given the many complaints about animation quality and story changes among English language fans.

That surprised me more than Pani Poni Dash!. I can see it being on the first list... but being on the Celebrity list? It really doesn't seem like it fits there... Is there something more about this series I don't know? I never even bothered watching it, but the fact that it's on that list makes me curious...
T0FFe3m@n

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 9:06 am Reply with quote
The sheer fact that One Piece placed so lowly (21st) automatically negates any credibility that these "fans" may have..

I mean, holy cow. The Japanese are just plain screwed up.. Confused
Webki

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 9:24 am Reply with quote
First of all, One Piece is a shonen. Shonen series rate highly with the younger audience. Second, One Piece isn't as good of a shonen as Bleach, and not nearly as popular (notice, I do NOT say One Piece is inferior) as Naruto. Therefore, it's a suprise that it placed that highly.

Also, Twelve Kingomds is #55, yay!
Saturn

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 8:35 pm Reply with quote
One Piece is particularly big with a younger audience in Japan. Not a lot of high school/college age guys (and like no girls) watch it, while a show like, say, Naruto, draws from a much larger age group and both sexes.

I also think the differences between the two lists are interesting ^^ The "celebrities" certainly do seem like an older crowd -- Lupin, Dragonball, Gundam and Doraemon are all popular gimmicks for drawing an older crowd into an arcade/pachinko parlor/etc Anime hyper
markzor3

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 12:36 am Reply with quote
Webki wrote:
First of all, One Piece is a shonen. Shonen series rate highly with the younger audience. Second, One Piece isn't as good of a shonen as Bleach, and not nearly as popular (notice, I do NOT say One Piece is inferior) as Naruto. Therefore, it's a suprise that it placed that highly.

Also, Twelve Kingomds is #55, yay!

One Piece was placed 6th most favourite anime last year, this year it is placed 21st? Believe it or not, One Piece is more popular than Bleach and Naruto in Japan. One Piece manga was placed #11 manga of all time voted by 79,000 japanese fans? Although im not a one piece fan, believe it or not, a lot of
adults watches One Piece.

One Piece 4kids version is aimed at a younger audience basically removing all blood, cigarettes, very ugly fighting scenes, episodes, music editing, swearing, story editing etc etc..

Saturn wrote:
One Piece is particularly big with a younger audience in Japan. Not a lot of high school/college age guys (and like no girls) watch it, while a show like, say, Naruto, draws from a much larger age group and both sexes.

I also think the differences between the two lists are interesting ^^ The "celebrities" certainly do seem like an older crowd -- Lupin, Dragonball, Gundam and Doraemon are all popular gimmicks for drawing an older crowd into an arcade/pachinko parlor/etc Anime hyper

Yeah. I agree.. Although in my school, a lot of people talk about Bleach and Naruto instead of One Piece. One Piece isn't so popular outside Japan. I love Naruto, it's a great show tho I like Bleach better. You can't really compare One Piece to 4kids One Piece, it's like comparing Prision break to sesame street. I'm Japanese and my friend who lives in Japan told me that people do talk about the show One Piece and a lot of other popular shounen shows. The difference between popular shows where people live outside Japan is very different.
Kouji

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 9:16 am Reply with quote
markzor3 wrote:

One Piece was placed 6th most favourite anime last year, this year it is placed 21st? Believe it or not, One Piece is more popular than Bleach and Naruto in Japan. One Piece manga was placed #11 manga of all time voted by 79,000 japanese fans? Although im not a one piece fan, believe it or not, a lot of
adults watches One Piece.

One Piece 4kids version is aimed at a younger audience basically removing all blood, cigarettes, very ugly fighting scenes, episodes, music editing, swearing, story editing etc etc..
One Piece is still a children's anime in Japan. The difference is in our cultures. While in the U.S., uncut One Piece may be more suitable for a teen audience, in Japan it's watched more by kids because their censorship regulations and ratings are more relaxed than ours, hence why 4Kids censored One Piece because they're trying to keep the same target audience that One Piece had in Japan. The One Piece manga is going to obviously have more votes than the anime because in Japan anime is mostly watched by kids and otaku whereas in Japan manga is read by everyone. And just because One Piece may have gotten higher votes last year than it did this year doesn't mean that the show is still as popular as it was. People's opinions can change over time you know, especially when it comes to ridicilously long Shounen Jump anime with no end in sight. I mean, look at Naruto. It's still popular in the U.S. but already some anime fans are starting to lose interest in both the Naruto anime and the manga version.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
kazenoyume

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 8:18 pm Reply with quote
roxybudgy wrote:
Inuyasha at #20?

I'm an Inuyasha fan (not the screeming 'bishie' loving rabid fangirl type), and it really annoys me when anime elitists who hate the rabid fans make claims like "OMG are you STooPid, Inu-Yasha isn't even popular in Japan anymore!11!!!11".

So take that!

That's ridiculous. Of course InuYasha is popular, and honestly it would have ranked even higher I imagine if the anime version (which is being polled here) hadn't ended two years ago. It's not fresh in everyone's minds at the moment, and it isn't 'old school,' so good for it for getting as high as it did. However, it's still a very marketable title, its tankouban still rank very high on the top-selling manga chart, and it still is one of shounen sunday's biggest banner titles.

Just because they don't like it, doesn't mean it isn't popular. Like a lot of shounen titles (One Piece and Detective Conan, both of which are MUCH more popular on the overall in Japan than Bleach and Naruto are), 'otaku' just aren't as into it. That doesn't speak for the general public though, and a general public appeal is much more valuable in the industry than an otaku one.

Seeing every one of Takahashi Rumiko's major anime on the list made me so happy. Eveniftheyshouldhavebeenhigher.

Quote:
And I just noticed, the list has Rurouni Kenshin TV but not the OVA which is generally thought to be a work of art.

A lot of people disliked the Rurouken OVAs, because they feel they completely destroyed the spirit of the manga. And I totally agree. Especially the Seisouhen one. *shrug*
LuciaTheGoddess

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 11:11 am Reply with quote
So what anime show got top #1? O.o;
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4