• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Ghibli Co-Founder Suzuki: Studio Considers Dismantling Production Department

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gravediggernalk
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:50 pm Reply with quote
I think that this is a new opportunity. Ghibli isn't "stopping production on new films", though they might later, but restructuring and considering new possibilities. If Ghibli "downsizes" and works on fewer projects, maybe even one at a time, I could see good things happening. Trying their first TV anime, training young animators; participating in the Anime Mirai project, performing more contracted work (like with Evangelion, Trigun, Black Lagoon, and Unicorn Gundam), another venture into animation for video games, and many other things can possibly happen.
americananimotk wrote:
However, I do think that Disney may decide to swoop in and buy them out like most other companies that have partnered with Disney usually end up.
That is something that I find absolutely horrifying, and I'm now going to spend the next couple of years scared that it might happen.
unitmikey

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:53 pm Reply with quote
I hope they at least give some more stuff to Yonebayashi before they decide to completely close.

And what happened to Anno maybe doing the Nausicaa sequel? Please don't dismantle before we can see that (maybe)!!!
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:58 pm Reply with quote
Definition of insanity, they should close the old and renew themselves. Might be a good idea. Or hold on to it forever and fade into obscurity. Ghibli movies will still be classics
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:14 pm Reply with quote
The easy way is getting rid of the production unit to sweeten a deal with Di$n€y. Maybe this isn't as evil as it sounds, Disney can outsource production to korea or china and john lassiter could output thru the ghilbi label the kind of animated films he could never do at disney

The hard way would be going 100% digital (if they haven't already) and taking risks with new stories they would never have done when Miyazaki was there (pun intended).
nargun

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:17 pm Reply with quote
gravediggernalk wrote:
That is something that I find absolutely horrifying, and I'm now going to spend the next couple of years scared that it might happen.

The way anime production works, most of the production teams are on contract either directly or [often] through multiple layers of contracting firms. The value that resides solely within the corporate shells is not huge. You don't even get the back-catalogues: those are shared with the rest of the production committee.

This is pretty typical in japan, btw: clouds and layers of small arms-length contractors providing specific things to large core firms, which are themselves structured as networks [keiretsu, see.]. And the larger contractors have their own networks of contractors surrounding them; this is where ghibli and the other big studios fit in. [at the core is typically the big publishing companies...]

Disney aren't buying the hitotsubashi group, and anything less would be like buying fog.
Felicity dash

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:23 pm Reply with quote
So I guess nows is a good time to start a studio ghibli movie collection for yourself/kids because it might not be around......
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:24 pm Reply with quote
They have to restructure - Studio Ghibli won't be earning as much as they used to. They used to take a couple years to make a movie that earns a buttload of money especially from Hayao Miyazaki; they can't afford that now. Now they release a movie a year that earn decent money.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:26 pm Reply with quote
Felicity dash wrote:
So I guess nows is a good time to start a studio ghibli movie collection for yourself/kids because it might not be around......

Even if Ghibli shut down fully tomorrow, all of those assets will still exist and be made available, happens literally all the time. Them shutting down has nothing to do with all of their past works disappearing, that only happens during wars or storage room fires, and only to films that didn't have duplicates and other copies in existence, like a lot of 10s and 20s stuff. What your posing is a completely irrational fear.
grooven

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:41 pm Reply with quote
They need to go back to making movies everyone enjoys the few movies have been very samey. You don't get that magical Ghibli feel from what they are making now.
Gasero

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:47 pm Reply with quote
While it's true that a temporary shutdown may help, the problem with announcing a temporary shutdown and restructure is that it means the company wasn't preparing for their future so that they didn't NEED to shut down. This seems like a badly planned transition and it could stem from a lack of quality leadership.
taster of pork

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:25 am Reply with quote
Studio Ghibli has sort of become a Japanese Icon. I wonder if the government would buy them out to prevent them from closing?
jmaeshawn

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:33 am Reply with quote
Have any of you actually seen "When Marnie was There"? It's so good, I went to see it three times already, and already have tickets for a fourth time.

Ghibli made Marnie without one bit of help from Miyazaki. So if they can keep making deep, heart-touching, emotional movies like it without his help, they'll be fine.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:45 am Reply with quote
jmaeshawn wrote:
Ghibli made Marnie without one bit of help from Miyazaki. So if they can keep making deep, heart-touching, emotional movies like it without his help, they'll be fine.

They'll be fine insofar as talent and the ability entertain and touch people, but even Ghibli needs to make money.
TurnerJ

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:51 am Reply with quote
GWOtaku wrote:
I can't believe how many places reported this as a "GHIBLI IS SHUTTING DOWN" story while citing a bloody tumblr post. In reality, everything Suzuki said on TV echos things he's been quoted as saying before earlier in the year. Here's hoping that massive downsizing isn't what they settle on in the end. That means a lot of talent out of work and a loss we'd all be poorer for. It won't be easy to build a post-Miyazaki, post-Takahata future. But that's a road worth at least trying to take.

I too fell for the stupid rumor that it meant Ghibli WAS stopping production. But it turns out that they aren't yet at all, but trying to figure out WHAT to do next.

Still, it would be sad to see Ghibli go. They have been responsible for some of my favorite movies of all time. Even so, that day has yet to come so hopefully they'll be around for some time.
koinosuke

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:05 am Reply with quote
jmaeshawn wrote:
Have any of you actually seen "When Marnie was There"? It's so good, I went to see it three times already, and already have tickets for a fourth time.

Exactly. I just saw the movie myself and it was very, very good. Certainly worthy of the Ghibli name, despite having nothing to do with either Miyazaki or Takahata. People don't seem to realise that one third of the Ghibli catalogue are from other directors, and with the exception of Earthsea they've all been major critical successes and made a huge amount of money as well.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4