• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: San Diego Police Arrest 29-Year-Old Male in Alleged Assault on Comic-Con Cosplayer

Goto page   Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BrainBlow

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:52 pm Reply with quote
[EDIT: Trollish comment deleted. -TK]
GWOtaku

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:02 pm Reply with quote
Sigh. This didn't happen at the convention. It was a hotel right by the convention center.

I hope the attacker(s) are discovered soon and brought to justice. Awful story.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:09 pm Reply with quote
GWOtaku wrote:
Sigh. This didn't happen at the convention. It was a hotel right by the convention center.

She was found unconscious outside the hotel (which is outlined in the article), but if you have details of where the attack took place, I recommend using the contact information in the article.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Lusbox

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:17 pm Reply with quote
Sad story, but why would he not get charged with assault as well if she was found beaten?
And I imagine she stopped answering to her mum cus she was at a party, not cus anything was actually wrong at the time..
Penguin_Factory

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:22 pm Reply with quote
Damn, that's awful. It sucks that a lot of the time conventions like these aren't safe spaces, especially for young women.
mgosdin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:29 pm Reply with quote
The world isn't a safe place, never really was. It's sad that a young person can't have fun and enjoy sharing their hobbies with other like minded people safely.

Here's prayers for a swift and full recovery.

Mark Gosdin
GWOtaku

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:32 pm Reply with quote
octopodpie wrote:

She was found unconscious outside the hotel (which is outlined in the article), but if you have details of where the attack took place, I recommend using the contact information in the article.

Unfortunately no. Fair point: it doesn't necessarily follow she was attacked there, I suppose she could have been moved and left at that spot.

Lusbox wrote:
Sad story, but why would he not get charged with assault as well if she was found beaten?

Possibly because there isn't enough to go on yet. I do hope that arrested guy doesn't get off. "contributing to the delinquency of minor" probably means alcohol and / or drugs, which means that on top of what he was arrested for he'd be to blame for making her that much more vulnerable to attack at the very least. He could even be involved, we just don't know. This scum needs to be grilled and held responsible.
Hellwarden

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:03 pm Reply with quote
I don't go to conventions, partially because there are none near me, and partially because, ughh people, but don't they usually step up security at them?

Don't they usually hire some security, or ask for some police presence?

I mean, we don't know where the assault happened, but boy would it look bad, or well, worse if it was close to the convention.
Shippoyasha

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:38 pm Reply with quote
Big venues will have their share of crime. It's a matter of policing and planning. Venues do not condone assault. Never had.

Comic Con also had an incident where Zombie Walk resulted in a car being assaulted while a family was driving through the traffic and it resulted in an old woman getting her arm run over.

Security mishaps seems to have marred the event a bit.

Not to mention it's hard to fully stop a criminal if they are dead set on mischief. Glad they got him.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:17 pm Reply with quote
It's probably in response to how San Diego Comic-Con approached the cosplay =/= consent issue versus how Emerald City Comic-Con did it. SDCC sent out emails reminding people harassment wouldn't be tolerated, but ECCC had giant posters plastered over the walls that flat out stated "Hey, this isn't cool, guys" and had info on the poster about what do to if you felt unsafe. To be fair, maybe SDCC had the same contact info in the email, but I doubt many people had that email on had or even remembered it all that often during all the craziness. ECCC just seemed much more visible and in-your-face about it, which seems like a good thing in retrospect.

Really sucks that a) the girl knew the guy, and probably trusted him, and b) that it was on her friggin' birthday. Sad
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:23 pm Reply with quote
Shippoyasha wrote:
Comic Con also had an incident where Zombie Walk resulted in a car being assaulted while a family was driving through the traffic and it resulted in an old woman getting her arm run over.

Well, that was an accident, not a crime. The driver and passengers were deaf (yes, apparently the deaf can drive, and actually are usually less likely to have driving mishaps, from what I've read) and there was a misunderstanding. I don't think it was anybody's fault in particular.

Last edited by penguintruth on Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Quark

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:23 pm Reply with quote
Wait... he's being charged with sexual conduct with a minor, but not assault? She was found beaten and bleeding and is in the hospital with serious injuries...but she wasn't assaulted. Right.
Dessa

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:24 pm Reply with quote
whiskeyii wrote:
It's probably in response to how San Diego Comic-Con approached the cosplay =/= consent issue versus how Emerald City Comic-Con did it. SDCC sent out emails reminding people harassment wouldn't be tolerated, but ECCC had giant posters plastered over the walls that flat out stated "Hey, this isn't cool, guys" and had info on the poster about what do to if you felt unsafe. To be fair, maybe SDCC had the same contact info in the email, but I doubt many people had that email on had or even remembered it all that often during all the craziness. ECCC just seemed much more visible and in-your-face about it, which seems like a good thing in retrospect.

I'm 99% certain that's what it was about, as evidenced in this article from back in June. SDCC was explicitly asked to beef up their anti-harassment policy (which is basically "use common sense when dealing with other people) and refused, saying that doing so would mean that there is a problem, and it would be bad publicity.
revolutionotaku

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:58 pm Reply with quote
First there was the incident with the pen in the eye.
And now this happened to a cosplayer on her birthday?
This make me feel very sad. Crying or Very sad
I hope she gets better soon.
mdo7

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:11 pm Reply with quote
@BrainBlow: Can't tell if this is trolling or not.

Also, I'm glad the guy is arrested, I hope the cosplayer get the justice she wants.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 12