• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Flowers For Baudelaire

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:29 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if it's possible for the US release of Flowers of Evil to outsell the Japanese version. Wouldn't take much, right?
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:35 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
For the most part, the characters are not cute (although Nakamura is arguably very moe), and the animation is very clearly rotoscoped.

Who the hell have you been arguing with anyway? The Aadams Family? Some psychopathic moron?
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:42 pm Reply with quote
@HaruhiToy

I don't see where she said she was arguing with anyone. She was just speaking to those who have not yet seen the show. After all, if you have seen all or part of Flowers of Evil, you probably already have an opinion and don't need a review. The word arguably means "could be argued", it doesn't actually require a real argument.
Mikeski

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:46 pm Reply with quote
And since the alternative to "arguably moe" is "definitely moe", all moe characters are "arguably moe". It's a personal judgment, and no character will tug the heartstrings of 100% of the world.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:48 pm Reply with quote
Why is Flowers of Evil an anime? Why not a live-action drama?
Saruwatari Hatsuharu

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:52 pm Reply with quote
I wouldn't be surprised if it did outsell the Japanese release. Fantastic and controversial, a lot of demand for Anime of this caliber.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:58 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
Quote:
For the most part, the characters are not cute (although Nakamura is arguably very moe), and the animation is very clearly rotoscoped.

Who the hell have you been arguing with anyway? The Aadams Family? Some psychopathic moron?

Moe is not an aesthetic. It's a feeling.
Shippoyasha

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:58 pm Reply with quote
I can understand why people like the rotoscoping. It IS unique. Even though it's awfully done IMO. And I rather preferred the manga art quite a bit more.
Dop.L

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:59 pm Reply with quote
Flowers of Evil was clearly one of the best shows of last year, and that's mostly to do with its wonderfully oppressive atmosphere. The dinginess of the town, all rust and rot, but more than that, the whole soundscape, gave it this totally run-down and oppressive atmosphere of a dying town.

Having read the manga, the rotoscoping gives it more weight where the manga designs just wouldn't have carried the same gravitas.

The classroom vandalism scene is just sheer perfection, and the walking home afterwards is also sheer perfection. It's all about the atmosphere!

I seem to recall reading that the director was in favour of a live-action adaptation, and this was a compromise. But still, it's a work of genius, no matter what the Otaku Hive-Mind may say.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:12 pm Reply with quote
@Dop.L
To each his own. This may be a work of genius as you say or it may not be, such things are rather rare.

For me, I read the first two volumes of the manga and decided it wasn't for me. I find the evening news depressing enough, I don't need it in my entertainment. I did view the first part of the initial episode to see what the fuss was about. I found the rotoscoping to be unattractive but serviceable.
meiam

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:20 pm Reply with quote
I actually really liked the rotoscoping in flower of evil (although it was probably mostly for its novelty than me genuinely liking it), but I couldn't stand the story, I guess it was too "teenagery" for my taste, I don't think I made it pass the 3rd episode.

Most of the problem had obvious solution (if the weird girl tell on you, you can just act surprised, no one will believe her) and it seemed like all the character were terrible people, so I couldn't really care if horrible stuff were happening to them. It was like watching a terrible slasher movie, except without the satisfaction of the slasher killing the horrible character.

I was really excited for majestic prince, I loved the concept of following the worse pilot in a war rather than the invincible super pilot in the crazy mech. Yeah, they couldn't sustain that for even half an episode.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:22 pm Reply with quote
Shippoyasha wrote:
I can understand why people like the rotoscoping. It IS unique. Even though it's awfully done IMO. And I rather preferred the manga art quite a bit more.

I think I may have liked the show better if it were just done traditionally. Doesn't have to bright, cheery, or cute in the design, but I just never came to like what the show did, and I'm not often averse to different styles being used. Doesn't mean to have to enjoy something just because it's different 100% of the time.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:25 pm Reply with quote
ANN_Bamboo wrote:
Moe is not an aesthetic. It's a feeling.

I have seen no definition of moe (and admittedly there are several) that can be stretched to cover the character of Nakamura. She is a pristine feral nihilist. She has nothing but contempt for anything and anybody including whatever is feeding her immediate psychological needs. Destruction is the only thing she can imagine worth doing. There is a thin veneer of control that makes her impersonate a school girl and that's it.

If you think a cesspit can take on moe characteristics then I guess you got me. That moe aroma exists there for somebody, I'm sure.

That said it is a great anime because of Nakamura.
ShatteredWorld

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:28 pm Reply with quote
Flowers of Evil is one of my favorite shows and, with all honesty, the classroom scene was, to me, one of the best displays of animation that I've seen in my years of watching anything animated. No matter how many times I rewatch the series, that scene will always blow me away.
eyevocal

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:14 pm Reply with quote
Just a small bit of pedantry: There are four OP themes, not two, but they're all variations of the same song. The ED theme is one of my favourites, because, well, my tastes in music gravitate towards the weird. I just wish that the remixes of it that were used in some of the episodes were on CD.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6