• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Flowers For Baudelaire

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thenix

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:13 pm Reply with quote
I normally feel like me and the reviewer aren't even watching the same anime, but with Flowers of Evil they hit on several of the same points that I noticed when watching the show. I didn't like it as much (although I did like it) but at least we were on the same page. It makes me want to read this column more often.
Mikeski

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:58 pm Reply with quote
ANN_Bamboo wrote:
a broken and unhappy interior, and that can invoke feelings of protection.

Exactly. "Fix the broken girl" is a staple of moe visual novels & related manga/anime. And not just "cutely" broken girls. (Hello, Rei. Hello, every yandere ever.)
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:05 pm Reply with quote
Just because no one already posted it, (and perhaps to bring a little levity to the thread) I just had to. It has brought me many moments of hilarity.

Ali07

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:47 am Reply with quote
Ah, Flowers of Evil. While I didn't like the rotoscoping at all...I tried to like the story. I watched a couple of episodes and it just didn't grab me. I admit, I don't really enjoy series based around characters I find unlikeable. It's rare that I do enjoy them, but this wasn't the case here.

And, being a very visually orientated person, the animation did it no favours in my eyes...
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:03 am Reply with quote
I LOVE Majestic Prince, and would personally definitely put it on my collection shelf, not the rental shelf. I actually am slowly buying up the limited edition Japanese Blu-rays with the special drama CDs. The characters are just so intriguing... I'm hoping that something will be announced at the end of Majestic Prince's reruns in Japan.
Rainrix

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:33 am Reply with quote
Lavnovice9 wrote:
The whole Flowers of Evil thing is one of the more ironic things I've ever seen in anime. The MC is a guy obsessed with a book because he thinks it makes him smarter and better than everyone else, but in the end he realizes he's no better, and actually probably even worse, than all the other people in the world and just a tool, a fake, a typical teenager who wanted to be different and stand out.

A lot of fanbase seems to do with the show the same thing Takao did with Baudelaire. Saying they don't get how everyone else can't be into it, not seeing the brilliance of the crude, ugly art. Saying all its shortcomings are intentional and done on purpose to take the viewer out of their comfort zone. To go against the grain, which implies a grain exists and is worth going against for the sake of going against. That they're better fans or more cultured for being able to appreciate it compared to the majority of anime fans who have short attention spans or whatever other reasoning people have used to justify why nobody but their small clique likes it

The parallels between Takao and those kinds of fans is amusing and has been the best part of the anime for me. It brought out the Takao in a lot of people.

Most truthful thing I've read in a while, thanks for bringing out another layer of this show which I love.
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:08 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The downside is that the series could've been delightfully casted—I would've loved to see Brina Palencia flex her wings as Sawa Nakamura.
It's a good thing your love of Flowers of Evil ruined any chance of me taking you seriously in the first place or else I'd have been deeply disappointed by reading this.

I mean, you're actually trusting Sentai Filmworks to make sensible casting choices and seek out talented voice actors from places other than their tiny pool?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6