• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: SNK Playmore Recruits Staff for New King of Fighters 3D Game

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 2:22 pm Reply with quote
KoFXIII is a great fighting game, with gorgeous 2D sprites. But this is absolutely the right move for the franchise now.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 2:25 pm Reply with quote
Their sprites never looked that good to me. They seemed like they were SD upscales or something. A Street Fighter 4 approach is better imo if you're not going to go like BlazBlue and actually make the sprites look good and put tons of animation in there so the game doesn't look like some choppy upscaled 2D fighter.
pauladls

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 2:44 pm Reply with quote
i wish for maximum impact 3, the brothers meiras story is incomplete Crying or Very sad
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:54 pm Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
Their sprites never looked that good to me. They seemed like they were SD upscales or something. A Street Fighter 4 approach is better imo if you're not going to go like BlazBlue and actually make the sprites look good and put tons of animation in there so the game doesn't look like some choppy upscaled 2D fighter.

they are not upscaled, but they indeed are SD, same for guilty gear x, blazblue's sprites are barely HD (720p).
BZ Choy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:14 pm Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:

But Blazblue actually looks very, very choppy and KOF13's sprite animations are pretty fluid.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:20 pm Reply with quote
Mhh, I was waiting for someone else to say it, but; for a company that hasn't done anything 3D related since the hyper neogeo 64, hiring ONE cg designer does not seem right, they need to do tons of 3D models of characters, unless they expect this to beat Duke Nukem Forever for the title of longest vaporware to ever become a reality.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:29 pm Reply with quote
BZ Choy wrote:
But Blazblue actually looks very, very choppy and KOF13's sprite animations are pretty fluid.

BlazBlue's animation is meant to be a little choppy because it would take too much time & money to make fluid animation with the sprites BB uses.

KOF XIII (& XII before it), on the other hand, is more like rotoscoping. The characters are actually made using polygons first and then drawn over later to maintain the 2D visual style.
Tomibiki

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:40 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
Mhh, I was waiting for someone else to say it, but; for a company that hasn't done anything 3D related since the hyper neogeo 64, hiring ONE cg designer does not seem right, they need to do tons of 3D models of characters, unless they expect this to beat Duke Nukem Forever for the title of longest vaporware to ever become a reality.

What? They have plenty of recent 3D ventures. Not that they were the best endeavors, but they've definitely revisited this territory within the last 6 years.

At any rate, I'm expecting them to go the Xrd/SF4 route. Considering that XII/XIII sprites had originally been 3D models that were retraced as pixel sprites, I expect them to be primo quality in appearance.

The alternative is they likely still have all the 3D models that the XII/XIII sprites were based on, and can expand upon them without having to redraw EVERYTHING.
BZ Choy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:58 pm Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
BlazBlue's animation is meant to be a little choppy because it would take too much time & money to make fluid animation with the sprites BB uses.

KOF XIII (& XII before it), on the other hand, is more like rotoscoping. The characters are actually made using polygons first and then drawn over later to maintain the 2D visual style.

I am aware of the animation methods used by those games. It doesn't change the fact that Blazblue's animation is choppy while KOF12-13's are not.
ScruffyKiwi

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:42 pm Reply with quote
So this probably explains why they are giving Square Enix such shit about 'Hi Score Girl'. Still seems an incredibly foolish move.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:42 pm Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
BZ Choy wrote:

BB characters looks much better than kof, i'm not sure what's sprite means. BB passes my eye test, kof doesn't.
BZ Choy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:19 pm Reply with quote
A sprite is a 2D image in computer graphics that is used to be integrated into a larger part. In 2D fighting games, characters sprites are the individual images that are used to animate them.

Blazblue sprites are pretty clean I'll admit (because of HD, which may be why they look easy in the eyes), but I also think they look flat (must be the shading) and stiff. Not to mention watching them moving is like watching a PowerPoint.

The new KOF games on the other hand, while in a smaller resolution, look more "well-rounded" (again, must be the shading) as well as more fluid. Characters have better animations. Besides, on a CRT (the ideal way to play fighting games), BB's HD sprites mean nothing.
gohmifune

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:29 pm Reply with quote
pauladls wrote:
i wish for maximum impact 3, the brothers meiras story is incomplete Crying or Very sad

You're not the only one.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1